Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Monte Carlo Blue
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had this happen? These are the dark 5-hole staggered wheels. It's a 2019, owned since new. I've followed manufacturer recommendation and never used any strong chemicals, wheel cleaners, or waxes on them. Only wash them by hand with the same car wash soap as the rest of the car. Never taken them through an automated car wash, although the dealership has washed the car when I've gone in for service. The wheel finish is still smooth, the discoloration is under the clear coat or paint. I would expect repair or replacement is covered under warranty?

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Q4 White/Black, Performance Pkg., Leather Pkg., 35W Xenon, Static Assist, Sunroof, Navigation
193 Posts
I have a 2018 TI Q4, and I had a delamination problem with the clear coat.

I had to have the wheels inspected by an approved Alfa Romeo body shop,
The body shop manager stated, on the body shop letterhead, the wheels had paint defects.
The service writer at Scottsdale Alfa Romeo took detailed pictures of all four wheels,
and the pictures along with the body shop manager's paperwork were sent to warranty claims.

My wheels were replaced under warranty.

Reactions: Helvetica

·
Registered
520 Posts
What do you use to clean the wheels? That looks a lot like the damage I have seen on various other wheels where people use some harsh wheel / brake cleaners. The Alfa wheels are single stage paint over a black primer / base coat. There is no clear.

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Monte Carlo Blue
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you use to clean the wheels? That looks a lot like the damage I have seen on various other wheels where people use some harsh wheel / brake cleaners. The Alfa wheels are single stage paint over a black primer / base coat. There is no clear.
Yeah, I had something similar looking happen to an Infiniti I had years ago with dark gray painted wheels after using strong wheel cleaners. Learned my lesson and have never used those types of products since.

I use Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash and a dedicated microfiber mitt & water to clean these wheels. Same car wash soap I use on the rest of the car. I've never used a wheel cleaner or any harsh chemical on them, nor any polishes or waxes.

I'm also only seeing it on the front wheels. The rears still seem ok.

So if they have a black primer/ base coat, could the dark spots be that base coat showing through the paint?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts