Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Quite a BIO....and born in Port Jefferson, NY (Long Island)....

Reactions: alfa55

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Quite a BIO....and born in Port Jefferson, NY (Long Island)....

yes. he was a true SoCal guy and just added to the car culture out here. motorcycle culture too. I saw him at the café on the Ortega highway riding his gator (he designed it) about 17 years ago. still remember how cool it was.
g

Gator is the one where seat was basically below axles right?

RIP Dan

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,748 Posts
Thanks for the great memories, Dan.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Terribly sad to lose one of the greats. He was also a truly nice down-to-earth guy. A true American icon. Met him once at Riverside International Raceway in SoCal at the first International Race of Champions. I met him, Mark Donohue, Jackie Stewart and Emerson Fittipaldi that day, and got all four of their autographs on my pit pass which I still have. That was back when it was all about the racing; not the celebrity. R.I.P. Dan.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
One of the little known historical racing facts of Gurney's history is that Brock Yates and Gurney were the original "Cannonball" duo. They raced a Ferrari from Manhattan to Redondo Beach California to the Portofino Hotel. The rest is history. Everyone knows the Cannonball movies, right? Well, these two guys started the cult classic by racing from sea to shining sea by themselves to see how fast they could really do it.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
An American Legend RIP

a true motorsport icon for certain....
and from what I read about the man...a truly class act....
Who knows if any other generation of racers/motorsport persona will be spoken of in the same light

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.