Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, made an airport run to O'Hare Airport at 5am on Sunday as I was dropping off my father who was flying to London, England. Instead of curb-side, I took it into parking, and the bump stops are higher than normal, and didn't hear th parking sensors go off... according to my wife, I wasn't slow enough... next thing I hear is BAAM, and knew I was in trouble... Not as bad as I thought, but bad enough... It's the right hand side of the car... Any thoughts on how bad this will be at turn in time (it's a lease) - but I'd like to fix it if possible. Looks like it's all connected though, so may be pretty heavy on my pocket book as I don't want to go thru my insurance. :crying:

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,380 Posts
That vulnerable "chin" seems like something that will just get damaged again after being fixed. I might wait a while if not involving insurance.

My car spent the weekend at the airport. I was nervous but managed to park amid vehicles that were likely to attract even more attention.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I'm getting my bumper resprayed after my next track day as I don't like the job 'I' did... though 99.9% of people don't notice... got a quote for a great shop around here for $450 to take off, blend, scrub down. My dealer wanted close to $650 ish though their price of $900 total included the door handle too. Hopefully this is handy

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm getting my bumper resprayed after my next track day as I don't like the job 'I' did... though 99.9% of people don't notice... got a quote for a great shop around here for $450 to take off, blend, scrub down. My dealer wanted close to $650 ish though their price of $900 total included the door handle too. Hopefully this is handy
Wow, that's a big difference! I'm wondering if they'll be able to fix the small cracks in there too though vs just paint?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
yeah massive difference, they wanted about 300 for the door handle alone.. i'm like "really?..". The good paint shop said $50...

Hate to make incorrect judgments as I haven't seen it but to me it doesn't look too bad from my computer. Bit of putty and primer should fill the cracks no probs. Shop around though for sure and give them as little info as possible. I found letting them tell you what they needed to do to it without prompting was a good way to see if you were being ripped off.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Good info on leases. If the lip is fiberglass, a proper repiar will v out the cracks and reglass and resin. I tagged a steel plate in my 348 and had the 4 inch long gouge and spiderweb cracks redone and resprayed. I month before the stupid texting girl hit me. It was about $600 or so and I saved a ton by doing the removal and reinstall myself. I was careful and took it back off to make sure the shims were in correctly. Drove home before that with the wrapped up bumper sticking out of my Miata. Got a nice honk from a 308 on the way. So the bumper was safe and correct, did it's job and basically snapped in half once the crumple zone came into play and the fender pinched like a clothespin. Hood folded and windshield smashed... bad scene. But the bumper looked great before that. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Definitely, you shouldn't go through the insurance for this. Looking at the picture, it doesn't look that bad. Basically, if you can cover the damage with a credit card, then you should be fine. Get your car inspected before you turn in the car so that you can find out how much the lender will charge for the damage. From my experiences with many different lenders(TMCC, BMW Fin, US Bk) it was always cheaper to just turn in the car without fixing it. Most of my damages were cosmetic. I am turning in my '15 Lexus RC350 with rear bumper damage this Thursday, I am expecting around $800 from Lexus Fin Svc. I think you should give it a few days before making any hasty arrangement to fix the damage. Have a drink and forget about what happened...

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Well, made an airport run to O'Hare Airport at 5am on Sunday as I was dropping off my father who was flying to London, England. Instead of curb-side, I took it into parking, and the bump stops are higher than normal, and didn't hear th parking sensors go off... according to my wife, I wasn't slow enough... next thing I hear is BAAM, and knew I was in trouble... Not as bad as I thought, but bad enough... It's the right hand side of the car... Any thoughts on how bad this will be at turn in time (it's a lease) - but I'd like to fix it if possible. Looks like it's all connected though, so may be pretty heavy on my pocket book as I don't want to go thru my insurance. :crying:
I agree with the other posts.
If you can live with this boo-boo until the end of the lease, wait, and get a pre turn-in inspection and then decide what to do.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with the other posts.
If you can live with this boo-boo until the end of the lease, wait, and get a pre turn-in inspection and then decide what to do.
Thanks everyone, I agree - gonna quit panicking and wait for the lease inspection... It's definitely smaller than a credit card. Actually have an appointment today for a "free quote" from a bodyshop we've used previously so I may still do that to know how bad it may be.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
i'd do that just for the reason if they come back and say it'll be so much more money IF they were to charge

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wondering if there is a law prohibiting the installation of front camera. How about replacing one of the front parking sensor with a downward fisheye lens with a speed limiter, say 5 mph????

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick update, went in and got an estimate.... they quoted me $782.00 - I think I'll hold off for now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do not go through your insurance!

I used to have a 2014 Chrysler 300 and did something similar at a Costco parking lot. The parking bump was raised some and while I was parking I pretty much rode over it since my car was so large and parking space wasn?t that long, didn?t want to get hit. Well, as I was rolling over it (didn?t think it was that high) it scraped and when I tried to bck out, dragged the plastic bumper a bit. Luckily, only the undercarriage was really scraped and plastic bumper attachment was torn a little. But, overall the car was fine, just a bit of while visible towards the bottom right of the car if you?re looking for it.

I thought I?d call insurance to see if that could be fixed, I didn?t even mention what car I was driving to them since I had 3 on my policy... The agent notified me that it will be $250 deductible if I wanted to go through them, fine, thanks for info... bye.

5 minutes later I get a call from the insurance adjusted to get details of my ?accident?. I?m like wtf? There was no accident, he started getting offensive with me saying that I called and said so and so and that I?ve been in a wreck. No wreck, sir. After back and forth he was claiming I was in a car accident with a parking block and that I needed to get a police report.. what??? The guy was impossible to deal with so I told him that I will only speak to his supervisor and he hung up.

I then noticed this accident reported on my insurance via their website and I had called them 3 times to speak to a manager each time since nothing was getting done. They were claiming that they can?t remove the accident from my insurance once reported and that this may change my rates. After few days they were finally able to replace my name with VOID and I got them to send me a certified letter stating that there is no accident on my record. I wanted it Incase I switched insurance companies and they tried to offer higher rates due to it being on my record.

Long story short, you may only pay deductive with your insurance and it may seem like a good idea, don?t do it. Unless there is substantial damage that costs $1000+, you end up screwed by your insurance company almost all of the time as they will report this event as an accident which will either go against your good driver discount, or remain on your file as an accident. I?m pretty sure that isn?t something anybody would want over something as trivial.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I think the repair bill would be way more expensive for a QV. I'm paranoid about protecting the front end of my QV. It wouldn't surprise me if it was at least $3,000 to fix a QV.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think the repair bill would be way more expensive for a QV. I'm paranoid about protecting the front end of my QV. It wouldn't surprise me if it was at least $3,000 to fix a QV.
That's what I'm thinking too. I wish there was a low level parking sensor that activates below 5mph for instance. I find that the rear of my car is often protruding out of the space. There is almost no bump stop low enough for the Quad not to hit

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
Wondering if there is a law prohibiting the installation of front camera. How about replacing one of the front parking sensor with a downward fisheye lens with a speed limiter, say 5 mph????
Old fashioned curb feelers? :surprise:

I don't think there are any restrictions on putting cameras on your car. THERE ARE restrictions are displaying images on a screen that the driver see. I do not know all of the rules, nor if the rules vary from state to state or country to country.

MacGeek says that the rear camera is analog. I would think it would be "simple" (routing wires in a car is never simple) to add an analog switch to display images from other, compatible cameras. However, you would have to put the car in reverse to see the picture, then scoot a little forward, then put the car back in reverse, ...

I think a front camera that tells you when to stop before passing over an obstacle in front may be feasible. I don't think placing such a camera such that you can tell if you have enough clearance to roll over it would work (not enough room, the camera would hang down, etc).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts