Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between having the car in drive (automatic) and shifting with the paddles vs. having the car in manual and shifting with the paddles?

I tried asking the dealer and checking the manuals but no luck.

Thanks

·
Registered
414 Posts
Shifting while in M gives you a lot more control over the rpms! I use D mode when I don’t feel like paying attention to the Rpms and just want to use the paddle shifters when I feel like it!

·
Registered
204 Posts
In automatic D, you can use the paddles to override and manually shift gears, but within a few seconds, it will revert back to D and self shift according to the parameters of the DNA mode. Useful if you want to drop gears to overtake. In manual M, the car will not shift unless you use the paddles.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. That makes a lot of sense now that it would be temporary gear changes for a quick action and then back to auto

Reactions: juz

·
Registered
3 Posts
Keep in mind there is also a huge difference between Dynamic and Normale:
Only in Dynamic manuale you have full control (rev limiter...) and the fastest shifts

·
Registered
191 Posts
One thing I have not tried....what happens if you are in Manual shift mode in a high gear and come to a stop? Will the car stall like a true manual transmission?

·
Registered
110 Posts
One thing I have not tried....what happens if you are in Manual shift mode in a high gear and come to a stop? Will the car stall like a true manual transmission?
It downshifts for you when required.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Another difference in manual shifting is between Dynamic and Race modes on the QV:

DYNAMIC: Holding the left paddle while braking may execute multiple sequential downshifts to bring the optimal gear for the rpm. Pull and hold = multiple gear changes.

RACE: The same will not work. You'll need to pull the left paddle multiple times to execute multiple downshifts. One pull = one gear change.

In both modes transmission will automatically downshift to avoid stalling the engine. Usually happens while coming to a complete stop.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Good to know! I was afraid to test it to see what happened.

Didn’t know that trick about breaking and holding the paddle in dynamic. Thanks for that.

It is still not the same as a true manual transmission but the paddles in manual mode are growing on me.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Good to know! I was afraid to test it to see what happened.

Didn’t know that trick about breaking and holding the paddle in dynamic. Thanks for that.

It is still not the same as a true manual transmission but the paddles in manual mode are growing on me.
What would be the benefit of having it act like a true manual transmission?! I see only negatives in allowing the engine to lug and stall. It's kind of like double-clutching a syncro-mesh manual box...why??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts