Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my previous cars the driving modes only differed slightly but the Alfa drastically changes personality with each mode. Even My twelve year old swtiches modes to see the difference ....it is to the point he has renamed the modes...

D - Devil Mode

N - Normal Mode

A - Angel Mode

I don't have paddle shifters and I like paddle shifters but I think with Devil mode I would be paying way too much in traffic fines. I find that I drive like a grandma in Angle mode, Normal is well Normal, but in Devel mode I become a invincible teenager again. I look like a complete idiot to others as I can't help myself, it's like an open bar or buffet on a cruise ship. I race off from traffic lights and fling her into corners going way to fast driving like I am on Top Gear. Granted with a huge smile every time I get away with it.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
They did a good job with the mapping between the different modes. The throttle response and boost profiles vary quite a bit. So much fun!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,435 Posts
The one thing I wish for is more "engine music" in dynamic mode. Of course, that would make the Giulia that much more of a ticket magnet. No free lunch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The one thing I wish for is more "engine music" in dynamic mode. Of course, that would make the Giulia that much more of a ticket magnet. No free lunch.
I'd love to have this too! It would be a fair trade-off between tickets and sound, lol.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I call A = "Accord mode" because the car acts/shifts like a Honda Accord in that mode. :)

Reactions: ChiGuy

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
That will come in future iterations, but it won't make it a ticket magnet, since the sound will be just inside the cabin, and coming from a speaker. This system is already in place on the Stelvio.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I'd love to have this too! It would be a fair trade-off between tickets and sound, lol.
That will come in future iterations, but it won't make it a ticket magnet, since the sound will be just inside the cabin, and coming from a speaker. This system is already in place on the Stelvio.
Artificial (sound) sweetener? :surprise: I'd prefer the real deal, thanks.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
On the 2.0 - A mode a/k/a Angel mode (lol) is very laid back. However, If you need to quickly step on the gas to accelerate quickly in an emergency situation, i.e.: crossing a wide street and you are trying to beat the incoming car, A mode is not the setting you want to be in. The car in this mode does not respond well to WOT pedal input. To compensate for this delay you will first need to manually downshift to increase the RPM in order to spool the turbo and then the car is ready to move quickly but in an emergency situation, this delay does not work and could potentially be dangerous. Just be mindful of A mode and its shortcomings.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Or you buy an exhaust controller like I did and voila! Race music even in Normal mode. I always switch it on as part of my startup routine. can't help myself.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Or you buy an exhaust controller like I did and voila! Race music even in Normal mode. I always switch it on as part of my startup routine. can't help myself.
I was talking about the 2.0L, not the V6. The 2.0L Stelvio already comes with engine sound enhancement, and it will eventually come to the Giulia as well.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I was talking about the 2.0L, not the V6. The 2.0L Stelvio already comes with engine sound enhancement, and it will eventually come to the Giulia as well.
Ahh I see. I forget that we're not always talking about the Quad. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"already comes" "eventually come"

MacGeek, it the "enhancement" defeatable? some may like it quiet, while others (likely more) will replace the exhaust system, in which case the "enhancement" will just be noise.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
You could pull the fuse that powers the ANC/Motor Sound control unit. My guess is that it would trigger some DTC, since it is a CAN node; so it would likely require some reprogramming to cleanly exclude it. Also, it sits between the Hi-Fi amplifier and the center dash speaker, and it mixes the signal coming from the Hi-Fi with its own. I'm not sure it is capable of audio pass-through when unpowered, so you may lose sound from that speaker. Or perhaps you could disconnect the microphone in the engine bay, but I think that would trigger a DTC as well.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
"already comes" "eventually come"

MacGeek, it the "enhancement" defeatable? some may like it quiet, while others (likely more) will replace the exhaust system, in which case the "enhancement" will just be noise.
Maybe there will be menu settings. Suggestions?
  • Ferrari V12
  • Lancia V4
  • Hellcat
  • Spitfire
  • Mustang GT350
  • "Fartcar"
  • Tesla

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Maybe there will be menu settings. Suggestions?
  • Ferrari V12
  • Lancia V4
  • Hellcat
  • Spitfire
  • Mustang GT350
  • "Fartcar"
  • Tesla
The system is based on a microphone, the control unit, and it uses just one of the Hi-Fi speakers, it's not just playing a sample.

What you suggest is already available on some cars, BTW:

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
The system is based on a microphone, the control unit, and it uses just one of the Hi-Fi speakers, it's not just playing a sample.
Is this a standalone system or integrated into the car's ANC?

What is the microphone monitoring, and what is the original source (or inspiration) of sound added by the control unit?

What you suggest is already available on some cars, BTW.
I'm aware of that but didn't want to single out any of them for ridicule.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Ooh that Reinastella sounds like every Renault I've ever driven :D :D

That would have been an interesting conversation between Nissan and Renault...

"<French accent> Hey there... sooooo we were thinking it might be nice if we could make our car sound like yours...can we use your name and so on..? pleaseeeeee?

<Japanese accent> Haha if you can do that, i'll buy you a beer!

<French accent>Pass that Ichiban!"

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
At least it is the sound of the real engine, Audi, BMW all use syntesized sound....soundaktor was found in many audis beside VWs, you could just pull the fuse....i am sure if it is a passthrough with Giulia you will be able to attenuate the engine sound to 0 via infotainment

1 - 20 of 42 Posts