Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the first time I used the D Mode as I have been driving in the N Mode since I got the car last month. It seems as if the transmission shifts differently; it was little bit faster not by much. However I didn't feel much difference in the steering. I'm starting to wonder if there is something really wrong with this car. I drove a TI loaner from 12/16 build it felt like a better made car and it was way faster than my car.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Do you baby the car when you drive it? Your Giulia will learn your driving style and adjust the transmissions shifts whether you are in D, N or A. I bet your TI loaner is driven a lot harder than the one you own so the loaner's shift logic's profile learned to be a little aggressive.

I know in my TI, I feel a big difference between D N and A settings. Right now I am driving in A. I feel the car becomes more of a cruiser at this setting.. Perfect for driving to work in the morning while stuck in traffic as the shifts are very smooth and the car is smooth all around.

The D setting is very harsh for me (transmission shifts) so I dont use it as much unless I want to have fun with the car which I then also switch to the manual paddle shifts.

N is still a bit harsh but much more improved from D but I now prefer A just to drive comfortably around town.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good points, I have 675 miles on the car, been babying it to be honest with you, just varying the speeds and not braking hard. Just doing all around break-in I guess. once I break it in, I'll see how it goes aside from my stinkin' software update the car is good.

Do you baby the car when you drive it? Your Giulia will learn your driving style and adjust the transmissions shifts whether you are in D, N or A. I bet your TI loaner is driven a lot harder than the one you own so the loaner's shift logic's profile learned to be a little aggressive.

I know in my TI, I feel a big difference between D N and A settings. Right now I am driving in A. I feel the car becomes more of a cruiser at this setting.. Perfect for driving to work in the morning while stuck in traffic as the shifts are very smooth and the car is smooth all around.

The D setting is very harsh for me (transmission shifts) so I dont use it as much unless I want to have fun with the car which I then also switch to the manual paddle shifts.

N is still a bit harsh but much more improved from D but I now prefer A just to drive comfortably around town.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Good points, I have 675 miles on the car, been babying it to be honest with you, just varying the speeds and not braking hard. Just doing all around break-in I guess. once I break it in, I'll see how it goes aside from my stinkin' software update the car is good.
There you go SerpenteRosso. Once you reach 1,000 miles feel free to open her up! Drive a little aggressive and you will see how she responds to you. Then you will fully enjoy your beautiful Italian performance car :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There you go SerpenteRosso. Once you reach 1,000 miles feel free to open her up! Drive a little aggressive and you will see how she responds to you. Then you will fully enjoy your beautiful Italian performance car :)

sounds great! thank you!

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
first 500 mile smurfing of D mode

Some "holdback" of performance has been observed for the first 500 mi. (or maybe 1000km) by some of the Alfisti, including myself. I've also experienced some performance delay after periods of "acting like an adult" where 5 miles or so of aggressive driving in D seems to have a positive effect on the car.

Did some 0-60 tests after a week of mellow driving, a few weeks ago, and saw this:

Used OBDII tools to measure time and speed, so not done by watch and speedo.
Did the 2,000 rpm brake-on launch in D mode
96 octane fuel, 72 degrees, 5,300 ft. flat and level

1st Pass: 6.5 seconds
2nd Pass: 6.1 seconds
3-5 pass: between 5.3 and 5.5 seconds
6th pass: 5.1 seconds

let car rest and cool for 45 minutes, which I immediately go

7 pass: 5.0 seconds

·
Registered
112 Posts
I babied mine in N mode for the first 1,000mi as well. After I switched to Dynamic, I haven't had much cause to switch back. It does learn your driving style - I feel like it makes a huge difference. I bet it will grow on you...

·
Registered
256 Posts
What the heck are the N and A for? Kidding, I just have too much fun driving her in D. I never switch the others on.

Edited to add- I live in a very small town, with exactly one stop light, so I don't really get to open her up. I just like how everything feels in D; steering, response, etc...

Reactions: Il_Conte

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I went though the gears yesterday and hit the rev limiter in first. I was shocked at how fast it red lined. I love the way the gears bang. I have only 360 miles on it. These engines are broken in at the factory, there is no worry about driving them like they were meant to be driven.

Reactions: MakeitRain and Bull

·
Registered
66 Posts
Drive it like you stole is as they say... I hit redline the first day I took delivery :) and never looked back. I've used 'N' mode about 30% of the time, it's hard to switch out of 'D' mode. Honestly, I have never put the car in 'A' mode ever since I took delivery and i'm 2300 miles in, no issues so far :)(knock on wood)... but it's probably bad that I haven't tried it yet? since the car never knew what learning 'A' is =/.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Some "holdback" of performance has been observed for the first 500 mi. (or maybe 1000km) by some of the Alfisti, including myself. I've also experienced some performance delay after periods of "acting like an adult" where 5 miles or so of aggressive driving in D seems to have a positive effect on the car.

Did some 0-60 tests after a week of mellow driving, a few weeks ago, and saw this:

Hey....would your car happen to be one of the Red colors? I was in Boulder last week driving down to Denver and saw a Giulia.

·
Registered
953 Posts
LOL. I've been driving the Giulia for 4 months now and if I have a little bit of advice to provide the Giulia newbies :) is to give each setting a try for 1 week, no cheating by switching modes in-between. Give each setting a full week which allows the car to adjust and you adjusting to it. See what you like or dont like. After the week, switch to another setting and re-peat. You'll be surprise on what you like or don't like. Once you know exactly how your car behaves in each setting, you'll know exactly when to use each setting and what to expect. :) Happy motoring!!!!

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
I was driving a Rosso on Wednesday and Thursday. My actual car is Vesuvio gray. That red G was the dealership loaner.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts

Maybe the benefits of an Italian Tune Up?:grin2:

I think you have clearly demonstrated that the waste gate opens based on absolute rather than gauge pressure. That's a really good thing for those of us driving at high elevations. Otherwise you would not have been able to break 6.0 seconds at 5200 foot elevation. My "mad dash" to get up to speed on a 65MPH speed limit highway starts at 7500 feet.

More seriously, I wonder how quickly the ECU adapts to the fuel quality?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts