Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My wife talked me into getting the car I really wanted instead of settling (I chose a good one), and so now it's down to buying the **** thing. How have people been doing in terms of negotiating vs. MSRP on 2018 non-quad models? How much room is there between invoice (real invoice, not dealer invoice) and MSRP? I realize this is a how-long-is-a-piece-of-string question, but hoping to get a ballpark of what I can expect before I get my heart set on options. Assume I'll find a car on the lot and will finance rather than lease. I'm willing to drive a couple of states over for the right car and willing to negotiate the heck out of it, but have a local dealer that I don't want to burn bridges with. Was targeting 15% and assuming I'd end up somewhere around 10%.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
think it depends on your dealer and their stock levels from what we've seen in the past. Obviously you will have less wiggle room on a brand new car vs. a MY17 which is where I would assume the deals would be though shoot for below MSRP for a few grand or so :) Never pay above MSRP which we see from some dealers. Let us know how you make out

·
Registered
90 Posts
This is for an '18 QV so may be different for a Ti, but I went out of state (to NV from CA) and got $5K under MSRP. My local dealer would give it to me at a few hundred below MSRP, and the dealers down in LA wanted $15K over MSRP. FWIW I had better luck negotiating with Fiat dealers than Maserati dealers. Different demographic. One of the dealers told me that the Alfa is seen as the luxury item for Fiat showrooms and the low priced alternative for the Maserati dealers. Seems like the Fiat guys can discount the car and still make a nice profit compared to what they normally sell, whereas the Maserati dealers can't. Just anecdotal, YMMV. Good luck!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Just an FYI from conversations with my local dealer. If you've purchased your car from a different dealer, they won't give you a loaner or any other "perks". My guess is by this time most dealers are pricing their stock pretty aggressively so if its just a matter of a few hundred dollars, it might not pay to go elsewhere.

·
Registered
630 Posts
This is for an '18 QV so may be different for a Ti, but I went out of state (to NV from CA) and got $5K under MSRP.
Alfa Romeo built the Giulia (with both 2.9 and 2.0 engines) to meet emissions requirements in all 50 states. However, CA residents must always be careful to check that a new car purchased out of state meets CA emissions requirements as this isn't always the case.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
815 Posts
Some suprises ... a bit on tactics

I bought very early in the product availability here in Denver, and didn’t get a great discount; but, I did get a discount (early April 2017, inventory on the lot for a whopping 5 days). I’ve been watching for “what I could buy my car for” in the national market, and the best equiv deal I’ve seen was about 10-11% off of MSRP, and on a ‘17. A couple of things worked against me: 1) My build of the Q4 Ti was pretty close to maxed out, with some attractive options (Ti Performance) which few cars got. 2) I didn’t want a sunroof, and the full-spec cars almost always had the sunroof. 3) Was deadset on Sport spec, etc. No Lusso for me. Being able to accept the sunroof and/or live without LSD and Active dampners would improve my discount by 2-5%.

Agree with the posters who point out that 2017 discounts are substantially better than what you might get for a 2018. I’m seeing that the best deals go in this order: 1) 2017 inventory on hand, or dealer-to-dealer transfer inventory. 2) Near-base specs, non-Sport Ti, or base+sport versions. 3) 2018 inventory on hand. worst deals are 2018 ordered cars, built to your spec. If you get > 6% off on those, you’re beating the odds. For instance, many Quad build-to-orders MSRP - $1k, or at MSRP. Some buyers didn’t even know the price when they placed their orders. go figure!!

Also, watch out for 120-200 miles cars sitting on the lot and not being sold as demos or repos. Seen a couple dealerships trying to pull a fast one on Dec ‘16-Feb ‘17 builds. Not mentioning any names. You know who you are. I got 20+%off back in 2000 on a Toyota that the dealer had tried to disguise as “new” with an interesting “pedigree” and a previous sale in its’ history. That car only had 80 miles on it.

Now for the suprise. In my region, Costco Automotive has deals with several local (<120miles) AR dealers at attractive Invoice plus pricing. Didn’t have that option until mid-summer last year, and I don’t know of any Alfisti who bought that way.

Happy hunting,

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Hi all,

My wife talked me into getting the car I really wanted instead of settling (I chose a good one), and so now it's down to buying the **** thing. How have people been doing in terms of negotiating vs. MSRP on 2018 non-quad models? How much room is there between invoice (real invoice, not dealer invoice) and MSRP? I realize this is a how-long-is-a-piece-of-string question, but hoping to get a ballpark of what I can expect before I get my heart set on options. Assume I'll find a car on the lot and will finance rather than lease. I'm willing to drive a couple of states over for the right car and willing to negotiate the heck out of it, but have a local dealer that I don't want to burn bridges with. Was targeting 15% and assuming I'd end up somewhere around 10%.

Thanks!
What state do you live in? If you're within driving range of Idaho, Dennis Dillon Alfa Romeo in Boise is a good dealership and they deal. Ask for Tom Cotner who I bought from. Great guy to deal with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I certainly get the impression that QV pricing is a good bit tighter than base or Ti pricing, but I noticed in the leasing thread that the transaction prices cited tend to be 10-15% off sticker, and was wondering if that's lease-specific or I should shoot for that in a purchase as well.

Don't have a Costco membership, and not sure it's worth it just to see whether there's a dealer near me that works with them and, if so, just to see their indicative pricing.

Sadly Idaho is a couple thousand miles away from me, though it could be a fun drive back!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello!

I would say on average there is roughly $2,500-$3,000 in markup in a non QV Giulia. Rebates are going to vary based on your location but often times I can provide a total discount (discounting price+rebates) of $5,000+ on a 2018 model and $8000+ on a 2017 model. I don't want to break any rules regarding a dealership advertising on here, so please feel free to PM me with any more in-depth questions.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
For my car, there was around an 7k difference from invoice to msrp. My base Q4 was $45,640 msrp, $39,995 base price. At one dealer, for a similarly equipped 2017 model in the month of June, they took off $6500 immediately. The dealer I bought from worked with me on my trade which was hard (it was an old Range Rover that no one wanted) and I still got around $4500 off.

Anything from 10-15% off is pretty normal I think, you have realistic expectations

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For my car, there was around an 7k difference from invoice to msrp. My base Q4 was $45,640 msrp, $39,995 base price. At one dealer, for a similarly equipped 2017 model in the month of June, they took off $6500 immediately. The dealer I bought from worked with me on my trade which was hard (it was an old Range Rover that no one wanted) and I still got around $4500 off.

Anything from 10-15% off is pretty normal I think, you have realistic expectations
Thanks Max. Just PM'ed you re: your purchase experience, but generally, are the ranges you reference including or excluding any current Alfa incentives? I believe there's currently some conquest cash and maybe a grand or two in other incentives right now; I'm assuming those are reflected in the overall 10-15% off rather than in addition.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Thanks Max. Just PM'ed you re: your purchase experience, but generally, are the ranges you reference including or excluding any current Alfa incentives? I believe there's currently some conquest cash and maybe a grand or two in other incentives right now; I'm assuming those are reflected in the overall 10-15% off rather than in addition.
I was including everything yes ... also I think you need at least 10 posts in order for PM to go through, I may be wrong though. Just comment on some threads and your message will probably get through to me

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah, that explains a lot. Thanks.

Not sure it makes sense to spam a bunch of threads, was just wondering what dealers you worked with and how your experiences were, as we're in the same rough area.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,181 Posts

Not sure it makes sense to spam a bunch of threads, was just wondering what dealers you worked with and how your experiences were, as we're in the same rough area.
I ended up paying MSRP minus the conquest bonus on an ordered car. I suggest calling around to find a dealer that is participating in the FCA affiliates program. For a 2018 2.0T you get invoice - 1% for a $100 donation to Treadlightly. If combined with the conquest bonus that is a total of around $6000 off of MSRP. I'm not sure if a 2017 can be negotiated to a lower price. I don't recollect if the FCA affiliates program can be applied to a 2017 QV, but it definitely cannot be applied to a 2018 QV.

Don't make my mistake and accept "we will look into it" from the dealer.

You should have more leverage with an in-stock car, but then you might not be able to get the exact set of features that you want.

You are not obliged to have the car serviced at the dealership where you bought the car.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

Cool

So I bought my first car at Kelly Infiniti, the Range Rover, and then about 2 years later I end up going right across the street to Kelly Maserati/Alfa Romeo to pick up my Giulia. Kelly has been as honest as a car dealer can be, and they have always done right by me with my limited experience in the world of car buying. They gave me a very, very fair deal. Not great, not bad. They have good inventory and the sales manager Kyle is very down to earth and my salesman Mike was a great guy ... I even gave him a hug at the end, because I tried to get a Giulia for 4 months and it was always I couldn't afford it due to trade, or the car wasn't the spec I wanted ...

Anyway, there's the fun story

Alfa Romeo of Portland is where my mom bought a Fiat years ago. They are good people and aggressive on price, but they are Chevy salesmen at the end of the day (no, seriously). Use this to your advantage if they have a car you want ... Ken (IIRC) is who I talked to last time and I directed a few people on here to him for buying Quadrifoglios and they got very good deals I think ... Inventory is usually limited and their workshop is probably just as clueless as they were back when my mom had her Fiat. My 2 cents.

Herb Chambers Alfa Romeo Wayland ... test drove my first there and they are of course the Alfa/Maserati/Lamborghini/Rolls/Bentley dealership ... This dealer generally doesn't mess around and I have heard good things about them ... If they piss off their clients who have Rolls, etc, those people head straight to Miller in CT I have a feeling. This is just my feeling. When I eventually take my car to Kelly, they need to do things right, or I take the car to Herb in Wayland, because I feel they are competent in regards to service. I never did any number crunching at this dealer because they didn't have a car I ever wanted (spec)

Herb Chambers Alfa Romeo of Millbury ... They don't seem in the business to sell cars ... I went with a parent (I am younger) and in their 30+ years of buying cars had never been able to walk out of the door after one round of negotiation. I was looking for a lease, wanted to see a few scenarios including 0 down, some money down etc ... with trade without trade ... you get the picture. The lease numbers made 0 f-ing sense because money factor was incredibly low, yet it was like 800/mo or something ridiculous like that ... I forget exact number. "We are all-in" they said. OK. They were so far off it made no sense. I drove 120 miles to this dealership and it was a truly stupid experience. I wouldn't buy a car from them, let alone service it there.

I think those are all the dealers I have experience with in the area ... I could talk more about specific ones if you are interested but I know there's a few others like Central, the one in VT, Miller, etc ... We have a lot of New England members on this forum who could help

Max

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Sorry to hear about the Millbury experience. I ordered from Central and my salesman has now moved out to Vegas. It was in the plan and I hope the commission from my sale helped ;) I met and worked with Ronnie Catanese (owner family or Central group) on my order and delivery, especially on my steering wheel leather refinish and down payment overage refund. Straight up, honest, and proven car guy. I was thrilled when he covered the upholstery repair. Pro finish and way more practical than a huge hassle with FCA via warranty and all the time to go with it. Central has sold 3 Quads this past year and there was a MC blue with ice there now and bright technicos. 2 others in transit when mine arrived, Vesuvio gray and Comp red. Check them out too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Phew! I'll have a new data point to post in the next day or two after I pick up the car. I've had too many deals in my time fall through after the handshake to post a price before I have the keys but I'll post it when I can.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello!

I would say on average there is roughly $2,500-$3,000 in markup in a non QV Giulia. Rebates are going to vary based on your location but often times I can provide a total discount (discounting price+rebates) of $5,000+ on a 2018 model and $8000+ on a 2017 model. I don't want to break any rules regarding a dealership advertising on here, so please feel free to PM me with any more in-depth questions.
I bought my QV from Strongsville. Best car buying experience ever. Literally 3 texts and a call and the 2018 car with the exact specs that i wanted was delivered to my house at $5,000 below MSRP in a few days.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Phew! I'll have a new data point to post in the next day or two after I pick up the car. I've had too many deals in my time fall through after the handshake to post a price before I have the keys but I'll post it when I can.
I am excited to hear details and see the car :grin2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glad you had a great experience. I am getting ready to ship a quad to another customer in NJ, said no one in that part of the country will even negotiate with him while I am starting $300 above invoice.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts