Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My auto emergency brake engaged as a result of a small object in the road as i was pulling down my street. Thankfully there were no cars behind me. If this happened on the highway I suspect I would not be typing this right now. I turned off the option until I can get it to the dealer, I suggest you do the same

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
When you say small, describe the dimensions please? What was it? Trash can blowing across the road or ?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
When you say small, describe the dimensions please? What was it? Trash can blowing across the road or ?
It was about 2 inches tall and 4 feet long some sort of tube laying across the road that blew out of a neighbor's trash, no way was it big enough to warrant the car to stop short from 35 miles an hour

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wonder what exact designed situations would trigger the Auto Brake Engage? time for me to read that part of the manual and hope they have some good detail.
I am assuming you meant that function as opposed to the Actual Emergency Brake(E-Brake) Being Engaged. Right?
I am Glad you are ok.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wonder what exact designed situations would trigger the Auto Brake Engage? time for me to read that part of the manual and hope they have some good detail.
I am assuming you meant that function as opposed to the Actual Emergency Brake(E-Brake) Being Engaged. Right?
I am Glad you are ok.
the function that prevents rear end collisions by engaging the brakes automatically

·
Registered
31 Posts
My auto emergency brake engaged as a result of a small object in the road as i was pulling down my street. Thankfully there were no cars behind me. If this happened on the highway I suspect I would not be typing this right now. I turned off the option until I can get it to the dealer, I suggest you do the same
Wow that's scary. Good to hear you didn't get into an accident and no one was behind you. I am curious though if the auto frontal collision brake only engages at low speeds as opposed to high speeds. With other cars I have driven the auto brake only works at low speeds...

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Thanks for letting us know. Seems like you are having multiple problems/quirks with your Giulia based on your latest posts? Curious if others are having these same problems.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Thanks for letting us know. Seems like you are having multiple problems/quirks with your Giulia based on your latest posts? Curious if others are having these same problems.
Not issues whatsoever with mine.

The environment of the car forums and any diy house projects or anything mechanical is that everyone takes to the Internet bulletin boards to air their problems and hope that someone is experiencing the same thing. 1 post about something can create hysteria. Where in reality, one car, one problem.

Quirks? Yes. Problems, no.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Not issues whatsoever with mine.

The environment of the car forums and any diy house projects or anything mechanical is that everyone takes to the Internet bulletin boards to air their problems and hope that someone is experiencing the same thing. 1 post about something can create hysteria. Where in reality, one car, one problem.

Quirks? Yes. Problems, no.
Quirks? Yes. Problems? No. PIA? Absolutely!:(

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a Mercedes CLA a couple years ago that did this to me on highway at 60 mph. Dropped my speed down to 10 mph because a car merged into my lane. I was very lucky no one slammed into me being I was in heavy traffic. Some of this newer technology is nice but can cause serious problems when it goes off at the wrong time.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
I had a Mercedes CLA a couple years ago that did this to me on highway at 60 mph. Dropped my speed down to 10 mph because a car merged into my lane. I was very lucky no one slammed into me being I was in heavy traffic. Some of this newer technology is nice but can cause serious problems when it goes off at the wrong time.
Word of advice to everyone... Need to start reading the manual and understand how these new cars work. I have a sedan with automatic everything and if you don't configure it the way you want it, of course it will slam on the breaks when a 4ft anything flies in front of you. What if the 4ft something was a croc from a truck on a highway? I bet you would be thankful for the car stopping instead of causing you thousands of dollars of damage and potentially an accident.

I'm not defending the car (the car could be wrong) but I want to make sure the manual is read and the car is configured the way you want it before running to the dealer.

Reactions: cptwei

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Word of advice to everyone... Need to start reading the manual and understand how these new cars work. I have a sedan with automatic everything and if you don't configure it the way you want it, of course it will slam on the breaks when a 4ft anything flies in front of you. What if the 4ft something was a croc from a truck on a highway? I bet you would be thankful for the car stopping instead of causing you thousands of dollars of damage and potentially an accident.

I'm not defending the car (the car could be wrong) but I want to make sure the manual is read and the car is configured the way you want it before running to the dealer.
You should probably read my post again, I never said he object was 4 feet tall. The object that stopped the car was a small piece of cardboard shorter than a speed bump and maybe 4 feet long. It should not have activated the emergency stop.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Word of advice to everyone... Need to start reading the manual and understand how these new cars work..
Does anyone else find it amusing that this poster admonishes people for not reading the manual when he doesn't even read the post before he responds?

Word of advise to you, you should probably read the post before you comment on it.

Also can you show me where in the manual it says the small objects in the road cause the vehicle to activate the emergency stop?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does the setting stay disabled or is this something that has to be done every time you turn the car on?

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Does anyone else find it amusing that this poster admonishes people for not reading the manual when he doesn't even read the post before he responds?

Word of advise to you, you should probably read the post before you comment on it.

Also can you show me where in the manual it says the small objects in the road cause the vehicle to activate the emergency stop?
Nope just you... A quick glance at your posts leads to an amazing discovery. You can't read or see! All I said was to read the manual as it may help YOU but You wanted to attack. If you haven't found the memory buttons on the car seat (which are fairly large may I add, and THREE OF THEM) it leads me to believe you have never opened up your manual. Point made, done.

You mad?

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I hate this feature. It deployed on my Grand Cherokee once while I was attempting to pass (in a passing lane) on a two-lane highway. I still don't know whether it was an oncoming vehicle or a vehicle I was attempting to pass that set it off, but when you have your foot firmly on the floor of a Hemi GC, the last thing you expect is for the vehicle to decide on its own to hit the brakes. Fortunately, there is a switch on the center stack to turn it off, and it stays off until you turn it back on.

I have heard too many horror stories about automatic braking to consider your experience a Giulia-only problem.

Everyone here should also understand that so-called consumer protection groups like the Center for Auto Safety and Public Citizen are demanding that the NHTSA require these systems on all new vehicles, and in fact the automakers have agreed to do so beginning in 2022. This means that we all have to pay - both literally and figuratively - for the sins of people who can't seem to focus on driving while behind the wheel. Hopefully they've perfected the technology by then.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts