Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the actual curb weight of my Giulia should be? It is a Ti Q4 with sunroof. I have seen numbers that are all over the place for these cars, including several suggestions that it is lighter than an Audi A4 of BMW 3. Also seen the European diesel RWD listed at about 3000 lbs which would be awesome - lighter than a Jetta GLI. I'm guessing that the AWD adds about 200 lbs. If that is the actual average weight of an Q4 car in US trim it would be amazing!

My 69 spider weighs in at 2200 lbs supposedly, so I love the idea that my new Alfa is lithe as well (albeit lithe for 2017, not for 1969).

Best guesses or actual knowledge, I'll take it all.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
3700-3800 wet

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Anyone know what the actual curb weight of my Giulia should be? It is a Ti Q4 with sunroof. I have seen numbers that are all over the place for these cars, including several suggestions that it is lighter than an Audi A4 of BMW 3. Also seen the European diesel RWD listed at about 3000 lbs which would be awesome - lighter than a Jetta GLI. I'm guessing that the AWD adds about 200 lbs. If that is the actual average weight of an Q4 car in US trim it would be amazing!

My 69 spider weighs in at 2200 lbs supposedly, so I love the idea that my new Alfa is lithe as well (albeit lithe for 2017, not for 1969).

Best guesses or actual knowledge, I'll take it all.
Weight as per the manual. I think the sunroof prob adds about 250. So looking at over 3800 for a TI with sunroof.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
It would be interesting to know how the various options affect weight and weight distribution.

I wonder if after market parts for reducing weight without impairing functionality are available? Aluminum and titanium bolts, hings, etc.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Sparco seats, carbon ceramic brakes, tecnico wheels ;)

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
Sparco seats, carbon ceramic brakes, tecnico wheels ;)
Hmmm, unfortunately this looks like a list of function impairing parts and/or parts that won't fit the subject Ti Q4. At least I presume that the rear wheel wells of a Ti Q4 are not wide enough for the 10" wide Tecnico wheels and that the 8.5 inch wheels are also unlikely to fit in the front.

A CF hood and/or trunk lid for the Ti models might be good and save a non-trivial amount of weight. Numerous small parts could be replaced (rather than covered) with CF or Mg or Al versions to save weight. Light weight fasteners don't save much individually, but together can help significantly; the trick is to properly identify where they can be safely used. Unfortunately modern cars use a lot of specialty fasteners, so it is difficult to use "stock" Al and Ti fasteners.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hmmm, unfortunately this looks like a list of function impairing parts and/or parts that won't fit the subject Ti Q4. At least I presume that the rear wheel wells of a Ti Q4 are not wide enough for the 10" wide Tecnico wheels and that the 8.5 inch wheels are also unlikely to fit in the front.

A CF hood and/or trunk lid for the Ti models might be good and save a non-trivial amount of weight. Numerous small parts could be replaced (rather than covered) with CF or Mg or Al versions to save weight. Light weight fasteners don't save much individually, but together can help significantly; the trick is to properly identify where they can be safely used. Unfortunately modern cars use a lot of specialty fasteners, so it is difficult to use "stock" Al and Ti fasteners.
I doubt that the wheel wells are any different. If anything it's the offset off the rims.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
3700-3800? That would be more than the Audi A4, bummer, or jag... so much for light weight! How do you think they came up with 3000 for the euro diesel Giulia?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
bonnet, tailgate, doors, front wings etc are already lightweight aluminium, as is engine, carbon fibre driveshaft, etc

http://www.wow.com/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_Giulia_(952)
That article also says that the QV weighs 3350 lbs and is probably the source of the claim that the diesel is around 3000lbs. It looks to me to be based on ARs early "wish list" for Giulia rather than the reality of what they could produce. Actual cars weigh in at about 500lbs more than the numbers in the article and dry versus wet weights do not account for any where that difference. A magnet would quickly determine what is aluminum and what is steel. It is apparently remarkably difficult to make aluminum chassis components work for weight loss in the USA due to the crash test requirements. Note that steel is better at absorbing energy than aluminum, even on a per-weight basis.

The "best" alloys of aluminum, titanium, and steel all have roughly the same strength to weight ratio and the same modulus of elasticity to weight ratio. However, some shapes (particularly thin shapes that are loaded perpendicularly to the thin dimension) add stiffness and strength faster than weight when the metal is made thicker and such parts can be lightened by using lower specific gravity materials.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
lockem for crying out loud how do you go from a Case loader to a Giulia albeit Q4?

Name checks.
Its a Case Tractor-Loader-Backhoe (popularly known simply as a Backhoe), as are any Case 580 or Case 590 model.
How else are my "fun" vehicles going to get up my 1/4 mile long dirt driveway unless I regularly repair storm damage with the backhoe?

A better question is how I go from a full race Time Trial bicycle (the best type for commuting if you can afford it, btw) to a WhiteGMC dump truck.

Being familiar with the operation of a diverse range of vehicles yields a lot of insight into the limitations of the machines and drivers that are on the road. Yes, I have a CDL class A M1 license (any size or weight truck, any performance motorcycle), I think a rare combination.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok. Used source of MOTORING TV the car guide. Giulia Ti Q4 is listed at 3373lbs. Sounds like a match for the 3488 you state with your car that has the glass roof. Compare to Audi A4 at 3627. Audi comes with sunroof standard. BMW 330 xi 3510 lbs. Mercedes CLA AMG 3494lbs. Golf R 3362lbs. Subaru WRX 3402lbs.
So especially if you have no sunroof you have a Pretty much the lightest AWD 4 door sedan.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Well, MotorTrend listed the base Giulia at 3456lbs. Motor Trend shows the QV at 3750lbs.

I took my car to a large truck scale and got ~3480lbs. This is in a base Giulia, no sunroof, 17" wheels, half a tank of fuel (6.5lbs/gallon).

Didn't realize how fat the Giulia is, especially how porky the QV is...

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but since it's titled "curb weight," it's a relevant thread for those wondering about the curb weight of their car-- I know, go figure!-- and since I had the info for mine, I wanted to share it accessibly.

Anyway, attached is a pic of the weigh slip for my '18 Ti Q4 Sport, fully optioned save for Performance Pkg and Leather Pkg, so it has sunroof, assistance packages, HK audio and whatever else was available for MY18.

Front wheels carry 1920lbs, rear wheels 1820lbs, for a total curb weight with a full tank of gas of 3,740lbs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts