Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a little scrape under the front bumper from a higher than normal sidewalk. It is not noticeable at all unless crouched down and looking in that exact spot.

Which is why i am looking for a quick fix. Is there a specific product anyone can recommend? Touch up paint pen and clear coat only? sand it down first?

The plastic is intact and it seems as though the paint got scraped off, i don't believe putty or filler is necessary.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yikes. I know the feeling all to well. You can make skid plates out of body molding trim quite easily. I did this on my Ferrari rather than pay a bundle for overpriced materials and the privilege to drill my bumper ;) Once you get it cleaned up and painted take the next step:

All you need is a strong layer of plastic to sacrifice on those occasions you actually scrape. Drive slow and take aprons at an angle.

Look at the area and see how the skid patterns appear. On 360s, it's a triangle under each of the radiator scoops on the front bumper. The after market skid plates in plastic and aluminum have the same shape. You can also add a little more for insurance around the perimeter. Look and see how far up you can apply it without distracting front the front profile. Mine blends in well and I had to fill some gouges. Luckily it was in the flat black trim areas already and no body color was needed. Just cut it to length depending on your pattern and then peel and stick. Make sure area is clean with rubbing alcohol solution.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
my advice is find a decent shop as its incredibly hard to spray / blend on new finish. Dealership for mine was around $750, a decent shop quoted me $450 then protect it as you wish

·
Registered
651 Posts
Good idea

You can also add a little more for insurance around the perimeter. Look and see how far up you can apply it without distracting front the front profile. Mine blends in well and I had to fill some gouges. Luckily it was in the flat black trim areas already and no body color was needed. Just cut it to length depending on your pattern and then peel and stick. Make sure area is clean with rubbing alcohol solution.

I like this idea as a preventative measure. I'd rather pay $19.99 for a kit, than $200+ for a paint repair job.
Do you know how cleanly this comes off? I'm on a 36-month lease, and the inspectors will ding you if you add customization to the car.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Easy peasy. Use goo gone or goof off, waxed dental floss, and water and slide it down under the tape line like a cheese wire. Then clean up with a soft scraper like a credit card and more goo gone.

I actually had to do this when I made a welded plastic spoiler for my 348 and tried to add more gloss by hand to the carbon wrap I put on it. Pranged the finish and had to remove the spoiler. Once it was off and cleaned I only saw a couple little hairline scratches that would buff out easily. Sorry I don't have a better pic but you can see it in the back here. Engine cover lid was easy to see so it was important for it to be reversible. Sadly the distracted, texting, gps, 19 year old kid, 11 o'clock at night, head on total, would NOT buff out. ;)

In her better days... 0:)

Attachments

Reactions: ChiGuy

·
Registered
651 Posts
Oh no!

Sadly the distracted, texting, gps, 19 year old kid, 11 o'clock at night, head on total, would NOT buff out. ;)
Can not imagine the kid making that phone call. "Dad? I have some news about the Ferrari. But let me first say that I am alright, and that's what is most important, right???"

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Can not imagine the kid making that phone call. "Dad? I have some news about the Ferrari. But let me first say that I am alright, and that's what is most important, right???"
Hehe, but I was the one in the car. The kid was in a 1991 Buick Regal. Photos of of the accident are sealed out of respect for the "departed." ;) But she was a beautiful "Testarossina." I moaned about the car being worth $80-100K (wishful thinking on my part and about twice what I paid, minus the major service) Kid cried on the phone to her dad. She only bumped her lip and I'm sure she never looked up). But I did make $14 grand in appreciation on the car from her insurance. Took forever and I drove a hard bargain. 3 times till they met my ask. I always told myself if something like that ever happened, I'd just say, "You just bought me an upgrade." :D Cha-ching, ouch, I'm still a little sore ;)

But try the skid tape. I am now wondering about the active splitter on the Quad.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
my advice is find a decent shop as its incredibly hard to spray / blend on new finish. Dealership for mine was around $750, a decent shop quoted me $450 then protect it as you wish
If it was visible from normal viewing height I would do this, but for the underside which is bound to get whacked again, I say just clean it, fill it, prep it and rattle can or brush it. Then apply skids and take it easy. Not sure if you can find the trim in white or anything but black.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yes they all are. You should watch some videos of tuner kids ripping the bumpers clean off of their slammed camber carts. I mean there's like only 4 square inches of contact patch of the tires but the tops of the rims are tucked ;) Cut the springs and all that jazz only to rrrrriiiiipppp off the bumper when you try to go anywhere. And usually in front of a crowd of enthusiasts. Horrible shame.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
10x the cost of trim. Not including drilling :p

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Here's an idea!

Use 3M auto molding tape on it's own instead, no plastic trim. Then make a skid plate out of milk carton plastic or another source of white plastic like a kitchen trash can. Maybe fold up the edges like a little tray and then anchor it with the 3M tape to the underside. This might not be thick enough to last many skids, but it may blend in better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts