Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall, my wonderful wife (who I love dearly), drove our Giulia into a tight driveway with raised curbs on each side. She scraped the driver's side wheels along the curb, causing a severe case of curb rash, and putting an even more severe strain on our marriage.
After getting through some counseling, I am now emotionally strong enough to deal with the issue.
Can I just sand-out the scrapes on the wheels with a hand sander? Has anyone ever repaired scrapes like that on their wheels?

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you want a good repair I would suggest having it fixed by a wheel repair expert. They are located in most metropolitan areas and the challenge is to find a good one. You can contact your Alfa dealer (or better yet the local MB or BMW dealer) service department and ask them who they use. I have had good success going this route.

Reactions: ChiGuy

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cost??

Happened to me. Service had a vendor they send wheels to on a regular basis. They were able to fix the curb rash; looks brand new.
Roughly how much does this kind of repair cost?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought the wheel protection plan when I purchased the car, so nothing out of my pocket, but I believe the invoice stated under $100 (I think it was $80).

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I got the protection plan too. I have had both experts do it and done it myself. Twice. On the 348 I used a metal filler, sand prime and wet sand to blend in the paint. A GM silver matched the Ferrari silver on the wheel. Went to a show, no one noticed. On the 360, I curbed the passenger side right in front of my house on those awful granite curbs around Boston. One too many beers. It was on the spun aluminum rim and not paint this time. Ground down the scratches with a dremel and wet sanded, polished. Took a long time but luckily they were not deep and did not effect the balance. Should clear coat but haven't gotten around to it. Oxidation usually washes right off and you can hardly tell. Wax help keep it clean. Came out great. I couldn't sleep on that anyway so I knew I had to do it. ;) $250 is a good price.

Neurotically, I can not get closer than 10 inches to any curb now. My brain and hands just can't do it! :D

Reactions: ChiGuy

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Roughly how much does this kind of repair cost?
I am getting curb rash fixed on my sport wheel. It is 175 for the job I am getting which does not repaint the entire wheel (specifically don't want that) and 225 for repainting and repairing the entire wheel.

The dealer in Maine told me 200 to fix with no specifics
My dealer in MA told me 250 to fix with no specifics

Just rough idea for you

·
Registered
573 Posts
Neurotically, I can not get closer than 10 inches to any curb now. My brain and hands just can't do it! :D
I am with you on this one John. Reading about it happening to others has me very paranoid. About 2 weeks after bring my car home we went to see our daughter, pulled up in front of her house to park on the street and heard this horrible sound and thought for sure I had curbed both passenger side wheels. Got out to check, preparing for my heart to drop out of my chest, only to find that I was still 6 inches plus from the curb and the horrible sound was the remaining ice next to the curb crunching.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Last fall, my wonderful wife (who I love dearly), drove our Giulia into a tight driveway with raised curbs on each side. She scraped the driver's side wheels along the curb, causing a severe case of curb rash, and putting an even more severe strain on our marriage.
After getting through some counseling, I am now emotionally strong enough to deal with the issue.
Can I just sand-out the scrapes on the wheels with a hand sander? Has anyone ever repaired scrapes like that on their wheels?
Of course you can sand out the scrapes. Of course it will look like crap.

·
Registered
694 Posts
We have a local shop, Rimguard, that does an excellent job. $100 for most repairs. Looks like new when done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Haha! And lucky when it's just ice :D

Reactions: Woodstk88
1 - 13 of 13 Posts