Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,754 Posts
I agree not the best location, and we'll have to put up with them not being heated or cooled. Are they illuminated?

I may need to upgrade to a new mug:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are illuminated. I usually have my cell phone in one of them, since there is no where else to put it.

·
Supporting Vendor
696 Posts
:surprise:I think the Italian auto engineers planned for a cappuccino or an espresso cup in those holders. I don't think there's an Italian word for "Big Gulp"!
I'm not sure they even planned for that. Cupholders are a sensitive subject in the Alfa Romeo community >:)

Years ago, before any Alfa Romeo forums existed, there was the Alfa Digest - an email list for discussing all things related to Alfas. You would either receive emails individually or as a daily condensed "digest" of what was being discussed.

One of the most revered contributors was Fred DiMatteo, who was also know as Father Fred. This was the mid-1990s, so cupholders were not as ubiquitous as they are today. Every so often someone would pose a question about how to add cupholders to their Alfa, as none of the pre-1995 cars had them. You have never seen a more thorough dressing down than Fred would give the unwitting poster.

His firm view was that cupholders were un-Italian. He would say the proper way was to drive, as fast as possible, to your destination, then stop for a drink at a cafe. And he did, driving like a maniac well into his 80s.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm not sure they even planned for that. Cupholders are a sensitive subject in the Alfa Romeo community >:)

Years ago, before any Alfa Romeo forums existed, there was the Alfa Digest - an email list for discussing all things related to Alfas. You would either receive emails individually or as a daily condensed "digest" of what was being discussed.

One of the most revered contributors was Fred DiMatteo, who was also know as Father Fred. This was the mid-1990s, so cupholders were not as ubiquitous as they are today. Every so often someone would pose a question about how to add cupholders to their Alfa, as none of the pre-1995 cars had them. You have never seen a more thorough dressing down than Fred would give the unwitting poster.

His firm view was that cupholders were un-Italian. He would say the proper way was to drive, as fast as possible, to your destination, then stop for a drink at a cafe. And he did, driving like a maniac well into his 80s.
Bellissimo!

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,978 Posts

thats GOLD!!!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts

That is why autogrill in italy is almost every 50KM LOL. I must have stopped for 10 espressos driving from Naples to Ancona last year lol.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wendy's, come on man at least do In and Out!
LOL! In-N-Out was closed..believe me, it's my first choice. And Yes...and In-N_out milkshake does fit in the cupholder without blocking all the controls. Still awkward to get out, but it fits.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

In my 91 Spider I figured out how to wedge a cup in between the emergency break and the side rail on the console. And, at least there, it was also out of the shifter because of the angle it came out of the dashboard. I guess I should just be happy there's something in this Alfa. LOL

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,754 Posts
That is why autogrill in italy is almost every 50KM LOL. I must have stopped for 10 espressos driving from Naples to Ancona last year lol.
So not much asleep at the wheel in Italy?

·
Registered
62 Posts

My wife and I had the honor of meeting Father Fred when we took delivery of our Milano in Frankfurt April 1986. We were among a dozen club members who took delivery on the Milanos destined for the U.S. Fortunately, no one mentioned cupholders in Fred's presence. I doubt that Fred would have approved of automatic transmissions in Giulias.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
My late wife and I drove up the Autostradas part of the way from Venice to Parma on our honeymoon in 2000. We stopped at least once at an Autogrill and were pleasantly surprised by silverware at a reststop! Neither of us cared about cup holders but the scenic route was a little too slow for a day trip. Autostradas the whole way when I go back to see the old homestead.

Reactions: kanundrum

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,910 Posts
But I don't plan to drive in Italy and the police here really do not appreciate "driving as fast as possible" :-(
Also, I drive late at night (to avoid traffic) when everything is closed.

With a giant cup you will soon have to stop anyway, unless you want to try putting a soda bottle to a different use. I make due with a can of soda, which will fit just fine in those holders, has enough caffeine for my 4 hour drive (6 hours if chain controls are in effect) and doesn't require me to make a "pit stop".

It looks like the interior environmental controls might be blocked by whatever drink is in the holder. Hopefully the temperature controls work well, since wide swings in exterior temperature happen during a drive on mountain roads.

·
Registered
196 Posts

Father Fred was a genius

1 - 20 of 24 Posts