Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had an issue where the sliding cover over the cup holder sticks in the open position? I know I'm supposed to be able to push it and have it come back to closed, but I have to pull on the thing until it pops free and comes back. It's a hard pull, too, as if I'm bending plastic. I'd love to know how I can disassemble the thing and repair it.

I just bought this '17 used with 13,500 miles, so who knows what the PO did to this poor cover.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Has anyone else had an issue where the sliding cover over the cup holder sticks in the open position? I know I'm supposed to be able to push it and have it come back to closed, but I have to pull on the thing until it pops free and comes back. It's a hard pull, too, as if I'm bending plastic. I'd love to know how I can disassemble the thing and repair it.

I just bought this '17 used with 13,500 miles, so who knows what the PO did to this poor cover.
Sounds like a good candidate for warranty repair at the dealer.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Yeah try that. Something may be jammed in there and to remove it properly without further damage, may require disassembly.

Reactions: Il_Conte and lockem

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
One forum member quickly discovered that credit card size items that are set on top of the lid will slide into the center console with no means of extraction other than disassembly. I leave the lid open all of the time which resolves the issue.

If you want to get at it, it would be a good idea to buy the service manual from techauthority.com so that you can avoid breaking something expensive or hard to replace or both.

Reactions: Intense

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,192 Posts
One forum member quickly discovered that credit card size items that are set on top of the lid will slide into the center console with no means of extraction other than disassembly. I leave the lid open all of the time which resolves the issue.

If you want to get at it, it would be a good idea to buy the service manual from techauthority.com so that you can avoid breaking something expensive or hard to replace or both.
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I see people say "buy the service manual" all the time. But how?
Searching on TechAuthority.com for 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia - All Product Types results in owner's manuals and weak sauce stuff... No actual service manuals are available.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Here?

I just started from the techauthority home page, selected "service manuals", "2019", "Alfa Romeo", "Giulia". Other years are available.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,192 Posts
Here?

I just started from the techauthority home page, selected "service manuals", "2019", "Alfa Romeo", "Giulia". Other years are available.
They don't show one for the 2018 MY, but do for 2017 and 2019. lol So would I choose the 2017 or 2019 one? I think 2017 with the presumption that they didn't need to change the 2017 service manual for the 2018 MY.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
My CD has "2018 Service Information" GA 81-270-18022-CD 04/2018 written on it. It covers both 4 cylinder gas and V6 engines for the NAFTA market.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,192 Posts
My CD has "2018 Service Information" GA 81-270-18022-CD 04/2018 written on it. It covers both 4 cylinder gas and V6 engines for the NAFTA market.
No longer on the site. What the heck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I picked up the USB from Techauthority, and it includes excellent step-by-step instructions for removing the whole thing. I think I'll give it a shot and post some photos, that sort of thing. We'll see.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport
64 Posts
So I picked up the USB from Techauthority, and it includes excellent step-by-step instructions for removing the whole thing. I think I'll give it a shot and post some photos, that sort of thing. We'll see.
Dang, same thing just happened to me. Gift card slid into the opening when the cover was closed and now I can’t open it all the way. It only goes so far and then slowly closes again. Afraid to keep jamming the cover back and forth as I think that only pushes the card further back. Looks like there are two small slots at the top, perhaps to pry the USB module out? I may try it, but am afraid of breaking something internally. Why didn’t Alfa see this coming? Soooo frustrating.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dang, same thing just happened to me. Gift card slid into the opening when the cover was closed and now I can’t open it all the way. It only goes so far and then slowly closes again. Afraid to keep jamming the cover back and forth as I think that only pushes the card further back. Looks like there are two small slots at the top, perhaps to pry the USB module out? I may try it, but am afraid of breaking something internally. Why didn’t Alfa see this coming? Soooo frustrating.
I was actually at the dealer for something else and they told me my cupholder needed replacement so they're taking care of it and I won't be getting into it. You need a trim removal stick to pull the USB panel out, lifting from the bottom, and you may be able to see your card in there. Otherwise the whole cupholder gets removed which means you're pulling the entire center console.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
A little OT, but does the USB service manual you ordered also have the wiring service manual? It's hard to tell from the online description.

·
Registered
1 Posts
More fun to play with it myself, the car is new to me and I usually bond with cars through repair.

This also happened to me. Perhaps I was lucky but I managed to to retrieve the credit card which was causing the problem. The USB panel has two small rectangular notches, one on each side at the top. I inserted a small hook on one side and gently pulled towards me releasing the left side of the panel, and then repeated this on the right. The panel, with the connections to the USB port remaining intact could then be gently withdrawn and lifted up allowing me to get my fingers in and retrieve the card (damaged beyond use) Hope this helps. (and yes the USB port does still work!)

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,192 Posts
Reactions: Richardalfa

·
Registered
2017 Giulia base Q4
36 Posts
Is there any how to tutorial on how to remove the whole cup holder assembly? Mine doesn't have the soft close and when opening it kinda jams up like there's something obstructing its opening function.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Is there any how to tutorial on how to remove the whole cup holder assembly? Mine doesn't have the soft close and when opening it kinda jams up like there's something obstructing its opening function.
Here is official procedure, let me know if I missed anything

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts