Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone attempted to use a CTEK battery charging system in their Giulia, to help out with suspected battery problems?

Then, I had several Supersprint exhausts on GTV6 and Milano Verde's, years ago, and looks like they have their new system available for Giulias as well, again, anybody have a Supersprint on their Giulia they would like to report on?

https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/alfa-romeo-giulia-veloce-280-hp-supersprint-exhaust-system.aspx

Happy Easter,

Oh, I almost forgot, please check out the pricing of 2017/2018 Giuliae at Heritage Alfa Romeo in Ownings Mill, MD, its a bit shocking what some of the prices are, esp. the 2018 QV Rosso.....

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Battery tenders are for garage queens that seldom / never get driven. Not necessary for daily drivers or even a car that gets exercised once a week. Any car, even the Giulia, that sits around without being driven should have the battery disconnected. Once the battery is disconnected, then there is no need for a battery tender.

If you need to charge a dead / low battery, you won't need anything special, it's just a standard lead-acid battery.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
Battery tenders are for garage queens that seldom / never get driven. Not necessary for daily drivers or even a car that gets exercised once a week. Any car, even the Giulia, that sits around without being driven should have the battery disconnected. Once the battery is disconnected, then there is no need for a battery tender.
The problem with that statement is that unlike with older cars (or even the 4C) disconnecting and reconnecting the battery will cause a large number of error messages to pop up on the Giulia, and some of them can be very difficult to clear. Because of this I would recommend never disconnecting the battery unless you have to for service reasons.

Likewise, even starting the car with low battery voltage can also cause a lot of errors. The Giulia seems to be very sensitive to voltage.

I have used a CTEK on our QV and it works well.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
It seems that this is the same charger recommended by AR and sold through Mopar:

https://moparonlineparts.com/alfa-romeo-giulia-battery-charger-p-7720.html

The technology is not very new and has been in use for many years in stationary lead-acid applications (i.e. photovoltaic and similar back up power systems). The only thing that might be somewhat new with this charger is that it is very small compared to the stationary system chargers.

Beware that the de-sulfating cycle involves pulsing a large current on and off the battery with "high" frequency (IIRC about 1 Hz). This doesn't alter the state of charge of the battery (much) but it can cause the leads to the battery to get pretty hot--at least for the large stationary systems that I have messed with. Per the instructions, the charger leads should not be shortened (to maintain clearance from hydrogen gases) or lengthened (to avoid excessive I-R losses in the wires).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Having the right tender is important and I also disagree with the garage queen comment.

I use a battery tender on my motorcycle all year; even when outside for the season. In the event I don't ride for a few days these new highly electronic driving machines will just wear a battery out. I have a 2014 triumph trophy and it struggles with low battery errors like the Giulia. Keeping it plugged in has improved overall battery life, freeze protection, and general overall operability of the motorcycle.

Truly if you drive every day this might be overkill and I don't use it on my cars but for any risk of not being driven every few days then a tender is money well spent.

Reactions: Racer Z

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
I'm a believer in CTEK. Have used their chargers for years. I typically don't leave them on the batteries for more than 12-24 hours. Just enough to bring them up to the full/maintained mark.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have a battery tender brand unit on my car. my car is only used when I am on the east coast. it generally goes 30 - 40 days at a time w/o use. the car always starts when I go for a visit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts