Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming home from Kansas City area to Nebraska on I29 north doing 70, a piece of pipe about 2 feet long came flying out from under a pickup truck in front of me in traffic. I was about 2 to 3 car lengths behind it and the pipe was at windshield height. I thought it was going to come thru the window and injure my wife and I, slammed on the brakes, the spinning pipe was descending and hit the front dead center on the Alfa insignia spun hit the hood and went off to the right missing the windshield.

Lucky we were not hurt and no car hit us from the rear.

I have 2 estimates, one from Alfa dealer at their Porsche body shop for $3600 and one from Chev dealer Insurance made me get for $2800. Giulia is going in on the 28th to Alfa/Porsche. No parts except for the Alfa insignia (32.50) repairing bumper (small piece taken out) and Hood (small dent). I have paint sealer on car and clear bra on front half which will have to come off and be reapplied.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a very bad dent in the hood of my Infiniti (Aluminum) in first week I had the car a tree branch fell off onto the hood. Went to a paintless dent removal shop and it turned out amazing and cost $150 plus they clay barred the hood and it was repaired to a 99% level. Judging by pictures yours is less damage than I had. Plus they can do minor paint blending. Worth a try first...glad to hear no one was hurt.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,930 Posts
I would expect to pay around $1000-1500 to get a quality repaint of the hood and fascia. Then there is the dent repair, the fascia damage repair, and perhaps most importantly the removal and restoration of your paint protective coatings (I have no idea of what that should cost).

Here-in lies one of the hidden costs of PPF.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know the money is ridiculous but so thankful that you all ok. That's what matters! I really do believe that you're being charged more because of the Alfa name. People think they all start at $65k minimum. That's why we'll get BMW prices to fix them. :(

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's deeper than it looks in the picture, paint is cracked, paintless dent looked at it and said can't do it.
I had the clear bra put on before I purchased the car, so it looks like Ins is covering it. Hood, bumper, and right fender to be removed and redone.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got my TI back today, looks great, forgot how it makes me smile when I drive it. They did 3 updates while they had it, don't have the paper work yet (I know glove-box was one). I'm going to put pure paste wax on the front's clear bra to make bug splats cleaning easy.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear the Giulia is repaired and you are back driving it. Did you have a ceramic paint treatment applied over the clear bra? I ask because that's the combo I have and I'm finding that everything including bug splat washes off with some soap and water.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sorry to hear. Thankfully, you were unhurt. However, adversity creates opportunity. Now you can replace the metal hood with a CF hood from the Quadrifoglio? Lemons to lemonade!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear the Giulia is repaired and you are back driving it. Did you have a ceramic paint treatment applied over the clear bra? I ask because that's the combo I have and I'm finding that everything including bug splat washes off with some soap and water.
Not an expert here but fairly certain the dent won't wash off! :laugh:

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Riparke, glad you got it fixed. The other panels added up but really glad no one was hurt. I hit a piece of bumper plastic or something in my old Mazda GLC back in the 90s. I saw it there after a truck went over it, tried to straddle it, but bam, and the front end jumped up. Had a small gouge in the the front air dam under the bumper, but weeks later I had a radiator leak from that side. I was pretty sure the impact had weakened the core over the long haul. Got it patched later but my dad came along to help negotiate. This is another thing that SUVs and trucks are breeding on the roadways. Lack of visibility and "big @$$ vision blockers." That's how I look at it but lots of people take the easy route and ante up into this whole spiral. With cars like the Giulia that are fun to drive, no way I am buying in to that! :D

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,930 Posts
Riparke, glad you got it fixed. The other panels added up but really glad no one was hurt. I hit a piece of bumper plastic or something in my old Mazda GLC back in the 90s. I saw it there after a truck went over it, tried to straddle it, but bam, and the front end jumped up. Had a small gouge in the the front air dam under the bumper, but weeks later I had a radiator leak from that side. I was pretty sure the impact had weakened the core over the long haul. Got it patched later but my dad came along to help negotiate. This is another thing that SUVs and trucks are breeding on the roadways. Lack of visibility and "big @$$ vision blockers." That's how I look at it but lots of people take the easy route and ante up into this whole spiral. With cars like the Giulia that are fun to drive, no way I am buying in to that! :D
Has anybody else noticed that there is all of 2mm of clearance between the stack of expensive cooling devices (radiator, A/C condenser, intercoolers and what-have-you) and the back of the front bumper (not to be confused with the front fascia)? It looks like any front end crash with a solid object is going to damage a lot more than just the body work. My pickup truck is the same way and is infamous for having a glass jaw.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts