Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Beginning a couple of years ago, I noticed that some of the new performance cars had an unusual sound on trailing throttle.
Popping and crackling sound. As an example a new BMW V8.
A long time ago, I had my 2 L Alfetta Sports Sedan turbocharged. Had a 2.5 inch SS exhaust made with a high-flow muffler ahead of the rear axle. Then straight out the rear. No catalyst. Good power and sound but none of the crackle of new performance cars.
My DD has been a 2008 BMW 535 xi Touring Wagon. Done in 2010, the Dinan Stage 2 takes the HP from 300 to 375 and the Torque from 300 to 415. And I believe the numbers!
It kept the cat, and includes a huge pipe and a better-flowing muffler right at the rear. Two tips out. I had a flap valve put in one of them to stop the incredible drone at 2000 rpm.

No snap, crackle or pop on the trailing throttle.
Has there been something tuned into the new cars to get the unusual noise?
I do believe that loud pipes save lives.

:)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I think the two main ways you get the rice crispies crackle and pop are either due to camshaft overlap creating turbulence, maybe variable valve timing cars are more prone to doing it as well, and or a vacuum in the manifold that creates the pops or it can be programmed in artificially if you inject some fuel when the exhaust valve is open. I could be wrong but I’m sure people on here know more than I do on the subject...

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
Tuners on this forum know how/why

Ask Toby from Eurocompulsion... pops and bangs are an option on their tunes for the MultiAir engines.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,469 Posts
I notice Jaguar's F-Type's exhaust popping and crackling. I think they have a settable mode.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I don't think we offer the "Pops and Bangs" option for the Giulia. Is that really something Giulia owners want?

Greg
I don't. I think Toby said something about it being an additional add-on option with Phase 2 for people who want it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks --it seems "tuned" in. Even if it was not, it would be unseemly for an Alfa to be crackling and popping.
In the 1920s, they added a whistle to the exhaust pipe, for attention.

·
Registered
483 Posts
That would be enough to push me over the edge on the price of your tune. I don't want to do an exhaust and a tune, but if I could get some trailing throttle drama it would give me the best of both worlds at a much lower price.

I don't think we offer the "Pops and Bangs" option for the Giulia. Is that really something Giulia owners want?

Greg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe the sound you are referring to is unburnt fuel combusting in the exhaust.
My last car was Camaro SS and when you take your foot off the gas, there is a fuel cutoff, this results in the popping, burbling, and backfires you hear.
This was enhanced by the headers and exhaust.

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I notice Jaguar's F-Type's exhaust popping and crackling. I think they have a settable mode.
The V8 F-Type exhaust note is a combination of fireworks and gunfire! Jag actually dumps fuel into the exhaust at some point to get the snaps and crackles on downshifts. I tried to look it up and Jag only state it is ‘fuel calibration’.

Sure. OK. Nice job.

·
Registered
407 Posts

Greg
Don't mess with us Greg. Not something we want, something we need.
Half the reason I even sprung for the tune tbh

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,469 Posts
The V8 F-Type exhaust note is a combination of fireworks and gunfire! Jag actually dumps fuel into the exhaust at some point to get the snaps and crackles on downshifts. I tried to look it up and Jag only state it is ‘fuel calibration’.

Sure. OK. Nice job.
Certainly doesn't do anything for efficiency. I wonder how they circumvent emissions regs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jaguar can be clever.
Decades ago, at some serious races at Seattle International Raceway (as it was then called), there was an "E" type roadster.
The exaust came out the right side just ahead of the rear wheel.
On the last downhill hairpin turn and when shifted down, the pipe would blow a perfect smoke ring. If there were no cars following, it would hang in the air--expanding.

Wonderful, and I'm told that it is pronounced "Jag U-are"

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Jaguar can be clever.
Decades ago, at some serious races at Seattle International Raceway (as it was then called), there was an "E" type roadster.
The exaust came out the right side just ahead of the rear wheel.
On the last downhill hairpin turn and when shifted down, the pipe would blow a perfect smoke ring. If there were no cars following, it would hang in the air--expanding.

Wonderful, and I'm told that it is pronounced "Jag U-are"
So Jag-U-er (not a typo) sends smoke signals?

·
Registered
315 Posts
My mum has an F type SVR and my dad has a Range Rover Sport SVR.....daamn they both sound amazing. I will admit by comparison my QV sounds quiet and tame.

·
Registered
159 Posts
does it have it do with with those cars an "exhaust" valve for emission that is opened to allow exhaust gasses to bypass the catalitic or something along those lines ?

I would like to get more sound from my 2.0

1 - 20 of 27 Posts