Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, hope all is well. My wife was driving the Giulia home from work this afternoon and had a rock crack the front windshield. Her car is well equipped with safety sensors located in the windshield. I contacted our closest Alfa dealer and they provided information for the closest windshield installer to the dealership. They also informed me that the front glass would cost around $1100 dollars and all sensors would need to be re-calibrated. Estimate for re-calibration was around 3 labor hours at $160 dollars an hour. Contacted our insurance company and they set up the appointment to have the windshield replaced and I will have to coordinate re-calibration service with dealership after new windshield is installed. Just wanted to see if anyone has had to go through a front windshield repair on their Giulia and if they experienced any issues after the new windshield was installed/calibrated? Thank you all for reviewing the post and look forward any comments concerning this topic.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Wow....have I got advice for you.....

1) Forgo a mobile glass replacer....GO TO A SHOP THAT IS HIGHLY REGARDED....Made the mistake with my Volvo and among the issues...

a) Sloppy finishing of adhesive around the glass / A pillar perimeter....in the old days cars had a trim piece that would hide this stuff....new cars don't ...the glass just drops in and if the installer is not into detail...watch out !!!! Especially if your car is WHITE !! If it's black, a sloppy job is less noticeable..

b) Sticky residue on the inside rear view mirror due to adhesive residue on the technician's gloves....Yikes, this stuff etches the glass of the rear view mirror and anything else a sloppy technician touches and it AIN'T COMING OFF !!!

2) Moisture penetrating through the glass (esp in the form of humidity) due to a poorly sealed joint.. Once again, I should have avoided the mobile glass installer !!!

3) INSIST ON FACTORY OEM GLASS !!!! You will get an aftermarket substitute if you don't formally request OEM GLASS !!!!

Good luck...many auto policies cover windshield replacement if you have chosen full glass coverage....D

Reactions: Gepetto

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, thank you for the advice. The insurance company and the dealer said that since it is a 2018 it will receive OEM glass. The car is black so hopefully that will help with excess adhesive. Will keep your comments in mind during this process and thank you for taking the time to offer some advice. Have a great evening.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i just waited 6 weeks to get a new windscreen. Hopefully they have them in stock now to reduce these times. My dealer outsources the installation to a 3rd party installer, who did a fantastic job.

As noted, these windscreens are not cheap, good idea to get glass insurance on your insurance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wooooow. That is expensive glass. Is it the infrared glass--is this driving up the cost.
The Giulia does have the driver assistance package so it should have the infrared glass. I spoke to one glass vendor this morning and they said they would call me back when they could distinguish a lead time for the windshield to be delivered. I'm sure this will be an adventure. Lol...

·
Registered
256 Posts
The Giulia does have the driver assistance package so it should have the infrared glass. I spoke to one glass vendor this morning and they said they would call me back when they could distinguish a lead time for the windshield to be delivered. I'm sure this will be an adventure. Lol...
What is infared glass. What does it do? How does it perform differently than regular car glass?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just had mine replaced to the tune of $1388. Even my Allstate agent was surprised at the cost. Autobarn in Evanston did a nice job.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is infared glass. What does it do? How does it perform differently than regular car glass?
"An infrared windshield reflects infrared light waves in sunlight. An infrared windshield reflects the infrared light waves and so reduces heat build-up from direct sunlight inside the car. This has advantages in terms of cutting down on the need for air conditioning and thus using less gas"

Included in the Driver Assistance Dynamic Package is an infrared windshield.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,332 Posts
A coworker had his windshield on his 9 month old Toyota(not sure which one) replaced to the tune of ~$1200. I wonder if its all the sensors which are driving up the cost.

·
Registered
402 Posts
A coworker had his windshield on his 9 month old Toyota(not sure which one) replaced to the tune of ~$1200. I wonder if its all the sensors which are driving up the cost.
That's just weird. What sensors did he have? Is the ACC in the windshield? What else is there. I was under the impression that a lot of the sensors were in the front bumper configuration, but could be off.

·
Registered
139 Posts
OE glass replacement is probably the only source, and I believe the safety options add 'infrared glass' that add to the bottom line.

It will be a little bit before Pilkington/SGS/PPG, etc. provide less expensive replacements.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,332 Posts
That's just weird. What sensors did he have? Is the ACC in the windshield? What else is there. I was under the impression that a lot of the sensors were in the front bumper configuration, but could be off.
I forgot to mention that it was an OEM windshield from Toyota. I too thought it seemed wayy too high.

Update: A friend just got a quote for replacing the windshield on his Ford Sedan... ~$900.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ive heard about but no little regarding windshield films (clear bra?) and other glass surface treatments. Has anyone tried any windshield protective solutions?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Ive heard about but no little regarding windshield films (clear bra?) and other glass surface treatments. Has anyone tried any windshield protective solutions?
When I was getting the film on my front end I was told it is going to protect the paint but you get a hard enough hit from an object it can still get a dent with film on so I would guess if you get a hard enough hit with film on glass it would still crack the glass maybe not continue the progression of the spider vein but I wouldn't think if legal it would be worth it. Insurance likely won't cover the replacement and film is not cheap. I looked at getting film on the roof and it was $750. We stayed away from getting tint on the windshield because if we need a replacement ($259 for windshield tint) insurance will not cover it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Same boat for me. My windshield has been cracked for 2 weeks now, and still waiting for a replacement to arrive.

It's all OEM glass at this point, but I have to think the aftermarket suppliers are tooling up quickly.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
And I was just noticing lately how awesome the glass mounting looks on the Giulia. It's flush with no rubber seal. There was an episode of Bitchin' Rides where the guys designed a flush mount rear window on a Camero. It looked great but still had metal trim. Our edged glass is cool but sorry you had to replace yours. I've replaced the windshield in my Miata after vandalism. Also a drivers side window in the old GLC. I have had comprehensive coverage since then. New windshield was aftermarket and has a tint strip. Got a rock chip and small crack less than a year later in the new one. Luckily it was only through one layer so is still stable. They used some resin but the crack was very tiny so you don't see much difference. Luckily it was out of the drivers line of sight too. Good luck on your replacement. Go with OEM.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
And I was just noticing lately how awesome the glass mounting looks on the Giulia. It's flush with no rubber seal. There was an episode of Bitchin' Rides where the guys designed a flush mount rear window on a Camero. It looked great but still had metal trim. Our edged glass is cool but sorry you had to replace yours. I've replaced the windshield in my Miata after vandalism. Also a drivers side window in the old GLC. I have had comprehensive coverage since then. New windshield was aftermarket and has a tint strip. Got a rock chip and small crack less than a year later in the new one. Luckily it was only through one layer so is still stable. They used some resin but the crack was very tiny so you don't see much difference. Luckily it was out of the drivers line of sight too. Good luck on your replacement. Go with OEM.
I really dialed into that when I was getting the A and B pillars filmed. I was like OMG there is no frame. How cool is that. Living in Arizona that black trim that most vehicles have to frame their front windshield really takes a beating. This is cool. I would recommend B pillar film for those that don’t like the glare of brush strokes on that area. We are going to use CarPro Perl on the tires and any rubber on her to keep it nice and black

1 - 20 of 71 Posts