Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh, only 600miles on the car and I get a small rock into my windshield. It hits the base, below line of sight, but instantly climbs up into view and is going across to passenger side, about 18-24" long.

For reference, this is not going to be something you can pick up at a 3rd party windshield repair place. Windshields are on backorder nationally, and will cost around $1200 plus tax for replacement.

I think I need to add some windscreen coverage for my exotic, since this is my daily driver and I will be traversing the highways of Houston regularly.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Does your insurance cover windshield replacement? I'm pretty sure USAA does...I thought Progressive does too.

Not to one up, but I recently went thru a windshield replacement on another car -- $1900. Fedex freight broke two of them in shipping.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ugh, only 600miles on the car and I get a small rock into my windshield. It hits the base, below line of sight, but instantly climbs up into view and is going across to passenger side, about 18-24" long.

For reference, this is not going to be something you can pick up at a 3rd party windshield repair place. Windshields are on backorder nationally, and will cost around $1200 plus tax for replacement.

I think I need to add some windscreen coverage for my exotic, since this is my daily driver and I will be traversing the highways of Houston regularly.
Sorry to hear this. Please let us know how the repair goes and who does it.

·
Registered
122 Posts

Cracked my windshield with about the same mileage. Quote was for 1400, insurance is covering it so is just the deductible. Check you insurance. it is probably covered. And yes, still waiting, was told up to 2 month wait.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I got a rock chip on my first road trip. Lowerndrivers side in the black where you can't see it from the inside. Didn't see it until a few days later when I was washing her. Took her in to Safelite to see about cip repair which they did but in the process it it spidered a bit and came up about half an inch out of the black just where I can see it. Its been about a month since the repair and it doesn't seem to have moved. Hopeful the back order issue is resolved before I might need mine replaced. USAA paid for the repair in full. If I do need it replaced because of that chip Safelite will deduct the cost of the repair which was under 70 from the cost of replacing it and I will only pay my deductable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does your insurance cover windshield replacement? I'm pretty sure USAA does...I thought Progressive does too.

Not to one up, but I recently went thru a windshield replacement on another car -- $1900. Fedex freight broke two of them in shipping.
I didn't have windscreen coverage on my insurance, never needed it. A windscreen on the M3 was <$300. Granted it was a cheap foreign knockoff, it fit the bill for my daily driver routine. Even the Cayman windshield was about $800 (Pilkington).

I tend to have around 1 incident per year on my car so the increased premium will offset this nicely.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Nuts, I got hit by a rock on a recent trip and mine is cracked too. I haven't done anything about it yet, but will be curious to see if/when replacements are even available.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Are these all the QV models, or are windshields on backorder for the regular Giulia as well. If so, I'm in trouble. I go over a road that has at least chipped the windshield of every car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I got a nice big chip in mine about 7 months ago when the car had not even 500 miles. Took it to get the chip filled in and the company repairing it shattered the windshield in the process so lucky for me they paid to have it replaced. It was about $1200 all in. Plus the first replacement was broken in shipping. I guess Alfa uses extra thin glass for weight savings which is why it shattered so easily. Bottom line, make sure it's covered by your insurance. It's a very bespoke windshield especially if you've got the infrared option from the dynamic assist package.

·
Registered
568 Posts

Does yours have the tinted windshield? I believe it comes with one of the driver convienence packages.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Latest update: Windshields are arriving on the slow boat from Rome, expected around the end of April. Meantime, my crack has quickly migrated to the passenger side.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Been there, replaced mine about 2 months ago, (actually broke twice on the same trip, **** rocks) $1300.00 all in. The windshield was $920.00 + a sensor they have to replace @ $69.00 + install and tax.

Not on backorder then and my dealer gave me a slight price break out of pity I guess.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not to hijack the thread guys but so you think this is repairable? Or is it to small? The coin is 5 pence piece.

Cerintly don't want to see this crack

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a $1000 deductible on my insurance policy for windshield replacement so I purchased a windshield protection plan from the Al0ha dealership. The cost was $699 and the benefit includes up to five windshield replacements for the life of the car.

Another note, I had a windshield crack on my Mercedes and if I went thru my insurance the replacement cost wa $950, not to mention increase In my rates for the next renewal. I paid out of pocket $530 for the same OEM windshield. I suggest that before you contact your insurance, find out from the vendor , Safelite in my case, how much the out of pocket costs would be VS. Going thru your insurance.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Not to hijack the thread guys but so you think this is repairable? Or is it to small? The coin is 5 pence piece.

Cerintly don't want to see this crack
That is about the same size as the ones on mine except there was a crack running between the 2 chips.

I had it repaired but during the repair process a 1/2 crack developed. It's been over a month and it hasn't grown but I am keeping my eyes on it.

Reactions: Adz3000

·
Registered
630 Posts
You're lucky. In my state, because the government insurance regulators don't require insurance companies provide no-deductible window glass coverage under the comprehensive policy, it is generally not available. Period. I've asked State Farm, Progressive, Geico, All State, Erie, etc. and they all say the same thing. Of course, I'm sure if you had a specialty/historic vehicle insured with Hagerty, you could probably pay for a policy rider that includes no- or low-deductible window glass coverage. But for modern cars insured through mainstream insurance providers, it is not available in my state at all.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have a $1000 deductible on my insurance policy for windshield replacement so I purchased a windshield protection plan from the Al0ha dealership. The cost was $699 and the benefit includes up to five windshield replacements for the life of the car.
I hadn't looked into aftermarket warranties/insurance specifically for window glass coverage. From what I've seen, none of the Mopar plans include windshield replacement. From what I've seen, Mopar plans "covers repairs to minor chips and cracks to the front windshield when the damage is not in the direct line of sight of the driver that are less than six (6) inches long for cracks and smaller than 1.5 inches for minor glass chips or star cracks. Provision of service under this agreement will not be provided on a particular windshield chip or crack in the event that the certified technician deems the individual damage not completely repairable using the approved repair process. Under no circumstances will this plan cover the cost to replace the windshield."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts