Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Never owned a car cover before but as I live in the woods my beauty isn't always protected from flying acorns (and the ding the paintwork!). Was wondering if anyone has any good brands, I'd like something 'padded' and protective from evil squirrels, hail and bird crap. Ideally not in 'bbq cover' grey (but not necessary)

Would love your thoughts

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Hey all

Never owned a car cover before but as I live in the woods my beauty isn't always protected from flying acorns (and the ding the paintwork!). Was wondering if anyone has any good brands, I'd like something 'padded' and protective from evil squirrels, hail and bird crap. Ideally not in 'bbq cover' grey (but not necessary)

Would love your thoughts
Have one I bought from Griot's Garage once....excellent indoor/outdoor cover and it is custom to the shape of the vehicle with side view covers that fit perfectly and strong elastic that hook under the front fascia...soft almost terryclothe like on the inside...hard canvas on the outside.
Hope that helps
Salve
M

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does help thanks, i'll check them out. Can I ask the rough price and the hard shell would be good to natures flying 'provisions'? :)

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
does help thanks, i'll check them out. Can I ask the rough price and the hard shell would be good to natures flying 'provisions'? :)
geeze I don't remember...sorry...the cover is at least 10 years old BUT is still very good! top quality for sure...probably around $250-$300 back then

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,443 Posts
Hey all

Would love your thoughts
If you live near Connecticut's coast, you may need more than a cover. We had a problem with sea birds dropping shells to break them open. Not a big deal if they landed on unoccupied pavement. However...

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ouch! thankfully I don't though that doesn't subside the amount of attackers on the car..the acorns don't sound bad but the trees around my place are very tall and they'll leave a dent. The birds are also especially against Rosso.

Short of dusting off my sniping skills with an air rifle, I thought a cover would be the next logical move. Going to be extending my driveway so want it protected before it goes to its safe house :)

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
I have it...not exactly an outdoor type of cover..lightweight, nylon
As a matter of fact, those OEM covers are hazardous if they get wet. We had one customer with a 4C that used the OEM cover outdoors, and it got wet and the pigments from the cover bled into the paint and stained it. Indoor Use ONLY!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
As a matter of fact, those OEM covers are hazardous if they get wet. We had one customer with a 4C that used the OEM cover outdoors, and it got wet and the pigments from the cover bled into the paint and stained it. Indoor Use ONLY!
good to know...though I have not even taken it out of the gym bag it came in:grin2:

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Wow this reminds me of a red silk scarf that stained my old nylon flight jacket from the Air Force. I had it hanging in my apartment as some wall art for years and the dye bled. Not cool! Maybe washing the stock Alfa cover once when you get it is a good idea?

Now for outdoor covers I can swear by them. Cover King is good. Try JC Whittney online or Amazon. There are all kinds of levels and quality you can get. I have a breathable gray cover with fleece lining for my Ferrari. It is very good but was fitted for the 348 with square styling so it is a little bloused at the corners now and not quite large enough. It leaves behind fuzzy lint so an extra towel on the soft top helps. Fine on paint.

On my Miata, I had it covered for 6 years downtown. Made special tags and flaps for my resident stickers over the years. It kept my paint nearly mint for years and I got many compliments over that time. Still do. I started with a simple breathable cheap waffle style. They come with grommets and I used lock cables for them. This presented headaches over time since high wind and curious people would pull on the cover and parachute it around. I found 2 bungee cables locked together at one end, with a belay line tied to the other was the best arrangement. This way you could throw the cord under the car, and the belay line would be easy to reach BEFORE stretching the bungee. But you want it to stretch and hold tension, so you grab the hook on the end of the bungee by pulling the belay line out to you and then place the hook in the grommet on the cover. Again you have to be careful to save the paint. You may end up with some scratches or at worst gouges in the sills, but overall it is worth it. I think you can cover the hooks with tubing for more protection. Shoulda' thought of that sooner ;) Also had a silver nylon one but it didn't fit as well. You can layer them, nylon all weather on top, breathable garage queen underneath ;)

Never cover a dirty car. Be careful when wet or iced over. Luckily, in one ice storm I was able to pry it off slowly with no damage to the car. It will help the paint and the interior. Way better than nothing!

Reactions: efl

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all on this will do some googling based on the suggestions and let you know what I end up with. My main requirement is the protection so this is a good starting point. Obviously I'm going to pay some attention to a guy with a Ferrari ;) love this forum!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey all

Would love your thoughts
Have u seen those exclusive cars at car show were in this so called car.bubble thing
I did some research before and one of them.called car capsule. Im not paid for this so u need to google it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had some across that but the wife didn't approve. The protection of thick covers I've read should be good for the attacking forces

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have one I bought from Griot's Garage once....excellent indoor/outdoor cover and it is custom to the shape of the vehicle with side view covers that fit perfectly and strong elastic that hook under the front fascia...soft almost terryclothe like on the inside...hard canvas on the outside.
Hope that helps
Salve
M
Great suggestion.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So just an update - I went with a 'Covercraft Evolution' https://www.carcoverworld.com/covercraft-evolution-car-cover. I found VERY FEW options for all of the major manufactures (4C is often available but no Giulia) and ended up working with Car Cover World (www.carcoverworld.com) in FL who went above and beyond to search for options available.

As i'm building a garage and extending drive spaces mine will be sitting out under a tree which loves to drop acorns in fall at a denting force so been assured this is the best for that kind of thing and is breathable. Was looking at the Coverking Mosom Plus too but was told it wasn't as good as the CoverCraft for said acorns. Will get the gust protectors too so it doesn't take off on the first surprise storm :) Will let you know how it works out as it's being manufactured.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,443 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
did consider something like that but thought for $220 it'd be easier with a gust guard than fishing that out of the trees or worrying about it blowing into my other car if there's a freak storm. Not sure how these attach to asphalt floor, never owned one of those so Mr Mushroom on the logistics.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts