Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone - congrats on your beautiful italian cars that seem to be cleaning up on all the comparison reviews. My 435 BMW M Sport Gran Coupe is off lease in 2 months. I'll either buy my BMW, lease a Merc C43 AMG coupe, or a Alfa Giulia Ti Sport. Given the Giulia is a bit rare and new, I have some questions that I've found tricky to answer. Appreciate your help & input.

1. The Ti Performance package lists LSD and Active Suspension. My salesperson told me that there were three different suspension settings on the regular Ti 19" sport package (D/N/A). What does Active Suspension add to the basic D/N/A options? I regret not getting adaptive suspension on my BMW. I have the default M Sport suspension which is wonderful, but sometimes I want to adjust firmness and I cannot. Can someone explain the suspension options & configurations between Sport Ti and adding the Performance Package?

2. Does anyone know if Fiat Chrysler's employee discount program applies to AR? The dealer didn't know (lol), but is getting back to me tomorrow. My father works for FCA so would be a really nice perk. FCA discount website does not mention AR, but i have my fingers crossed.

3. how big of an upgrade are the high performance Xenons compared to the base lights? lighting is an important part of a car's personality along with maximum visibility.

4. Is there a way to search dealer inventory more broadly than 200 miles on the AR site? I'm looking for a black, white, or red Giulia Ti 19" sport + leather dash + black or tan interior + upgraded xenons + NAV + Harmon Kardon + performance package (active suspension). Almost fully loaded, which is not coming up with many results here in the central US. zero in fact

thanks for anyone able to comment and assist. I may be joining as an owner over the next 1-2 months. cheers

·
Registered
242 Posts
D/N/A on an Alfa is the same as Sport/Comfort/EcoPro on BMW.

Without the adaptive suspension it affects throttle response, steering weight, and transmission shift points.
Like BMW, the adaptive suspension has a normal and firm/sport setting. The firm setting is only used when in Dynamic(Alfa)/Sport(BMW).
Alfa adaptive suspension is a bit different in that, when in Dynamic, you can toggle back to normal suspension in case you're on a really rough road.

Don't know about FCA employee discount, but would assume so.

I haven't heard of anyone reporting on the 35w xenons. Supposedly these are the only version that swivel with the steering at speed like BMW's xenons.

Searching is a pain. You can find dealers but have to pore over the inventory one at a time.
I think your best bet is to go to a local dealer and see if they can find your exact spec.
I would like something similar, to your spec, but would trade active suspension for Drivers Assist static w/reverse cross path warning.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
805 Posts
Hi Ryan, good to hear from someone seriously looking. I, too, came to the game 2 months ago with a bunch of questions similar to yours. I can address items 1 and 3 based on my 1 month (tomorrow) ownership of a Giulia Ti Q4 19" Sport Pkg. BTW mine is Vesuvio Grey metalic with Red/Black interior and the Ti Performance pkg with LSD/Active suspension. Nearly fully loaded, only missing Sunroof and Leather dash options.

I'm in the Colorado front range, with access to terrific mountain roads, so AWD and LSD get a workout here... not just freeway driving during my 1400+ miles, so far.

Concerning Q1 and Q3 from your questions:

1) Post winter, here in the mountains, I've had opportunity test out AWD with LSD on both light snow/ice and on the road treatment, which is mag-chloride and "metal", basically tiny rock chips used for traction.

First regarding LSD/AWD: Haven't had much desire (or feel the need) to use the Adaptive setting, even though it is intended for poor traction. A settings seemed to make the black-ice a non-issue, on the one occasion I used them and showed the LSD/AWD combination almost magical at keeping the car under control. More experiments next winter, or on Thursday, when more snow is predicted.

Driving on "metal" and medium to hard cornering: Switching between N and D, suspension immediately goes from supple to medium firm, with most of the drive coming from the RWD. The LSD has shown great rear-end predictability when traction becomes variable mid-turn. Little indication of the AWD engaging, as the car has the great manners even at speed. In D, body roll during hard cornering is noticeably reduced and the active suspension seems "just right". Using the "Soft Suspension" override in the middle of the DNA switch, brings the supple ride back, with all the thrills of D steering, shifting, throttle response, etc. Body roll returns, though.

Normal mode driving keeps my 90 year old dad a happy passenger, even with Colorado post-winter road damage.

No option for Normal mode with a "firm" setting to the dynamic suspension. Might be a nice combination. In summary, I think the Ti Perf Package is a must have for AWD or RWD, and a bargain at $1200. The Quadrifoglio is the only other Giulia package with active and LSD.

3) Bi Xenon is stock on my Ti Build and listed as standard equipment.

I had some initial malfunctions after taking delivery, and all were related to firmware upgrades that were initially remedied, and well described on this Forum. This car is the most exciting auto experience I've had since 308GTS action in the early 80's.

I wake up in the morning and feel like a kid on Christmas. Just writing about the Giulia makes me want to take a evening spin -- I think I will!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
BMW or Giulia

The answer was easy for me....Giulia....Giulia Quad to be exact....I have waited since 1995 for the opportunity to purchase a new Alfa Romeo...the opportunity to drive something different, an historic marque making a triumphant re-introduction....well, quite frankly, 3 and 4 series and everything in between are everywhere...and I just didn't want to see myself coming and going....but most importantly, the Giulia is better...it's better aesthetically, it's better dynamically, and it's better functionally.....to quote the commercial...."Dear predictable...."

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Reactions: Papa Gallo

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,978 Posts
Hello everyone - congrats on your beautiful italian cars that seem to be cleaning up on all the comparison reviews. My 435 BMW M Sport Gran Coupe is off lease in 2 months. I'll either buy my BMW, lease a Merc C43 AMG coupe, or a Alfa Giulia Ti Sport. Given the Giulia is a bit rare and new, I have some questions that I've found tricky to answer. Appreciate your help & input.

1. The Ti Performance package lists LSD and Active Suspension. My salesperson told me that there were three different suspension settings on the regular Ti 19" sport package (D/N/A). What does Active Suspension add to the basic D/N/A options? I regret not getting adaptive suspension on my BMW. I have the default M Sport suspension which is wonderful, but sometimes I want to adjust firmness and I cannot. Can someone explain the suspension options & configurations between Sport Ti and adding the Performance Package?

2. Does anyone know if Fiat Chrysler's employee discount program applies to AR? The dealer didn't know (lol), but is getting back to me tomorrow. My father works for FCA so would be a really nice perk. FCA discount website does not mention AR, but i have my fingers crossed.

3. how big of an upgrade are the high performance Xenons compared to the base lights? lighting is an important part of a car's personality along with maximum visibility.

4. Is there a way to search dealer inventory more broadly than 200 miles on the AR site? I'm looking for a black, white, or red Giulia Ti 19" sport + leather dash + black or tan interior + upgraded xenons + NAV + Harmon Kardon + performance package (active suspension). Almost fully loaded, which is not coming up with many results here in the central US. zero in fact

thanks for anyone able to comment and assist. I may be joining as an owner over the next 1-2 months. cheers
hi Ryan
i might be able to help with your first question regarding the active suspension on the 280hp
adaptive suspension comes as an option for us in Australia but they all work in the same way on the non Quadrifolgio versions

the D/N/A settings are a map throttle response and dont really change the suspension settings as such, but they do tweak with the stability controls and fuel economy

N = Normal mode and it speaks for itself, the car is as the factory wants it to be driven and it more than adequate for daily drives and long hauls
A = Advanced efficiency mode which noticeably drops the throttle response but theoretically gives you a better fuel efficiency through the gear changes. It is also meant to adapt to severe weather conditions and adjusts the stability controls accordingly (especially so in a 4WD model)
D = Dynamic mode, instantly gives more thrust and power and supposedly gives you a stiffer suspension and is the preferred performance fun mode

now ...

the Adaptive Damper is ONLY available whilst in Dynamic mode and what it does is soften the dampers, allowing a nice fun mode but a better bounce and road holding capability whilst motoring up a bumpy hill for instance. Cornering is not affected whatsoever, but having said all that the suspension in these cars is phenomenal in any of the modes

the LSD is something you can only assess whether you need great track-like performance, myself, i am just a sub-urban / urban ordinary Joe and opted to get a Veloce pack (which has all the goodies) on a Super with 200hp, and can tell you after 4000klms i have never looked back...simply put, i love this car, it is light years ahead of the previous 159 2.4 Ti i owned

as far as dealership comments go, that guy doesnt sound very clicked on lol

comment number 4 ? ... that sounds absolutely perfetto and should not be hard to find, good luck !!

:)

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,978 Posts
isnt she pretty
all shiny and black :)

this is Alfa Black with Opticoat Pro+ with the 19inch wheels,
just to give you an idea of glossy non metallic black

also, make sure you get the 225/40/19 front 255/35/19 rear staggered option
i have seen some Ti's in the US come with 225/40 all round

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have been tracking inventories in SoCal for a while, and I found that Ti's with both the 19" Sport package and the leather package were extremely rare. However, that is changing. I note that multiple dealers in my area have multiple cars with that combination in transit. So, they are on the way. I like to think that my car is on the boat, as we speak.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the thoughtful replies, much appreciated.

Just heard back from my local Alfa dealer and they are confirming that the FCA employee discount indeed applies to the Giulia.

They have a $54k MSRP Rossa Red, Leather Dash package, 19" Ti Sport, Performance LSD & adaptive suspension, NAV, Harmon Kardon, dual sunroof model on the way. He's quoting me just under $49k invoice. Employee price is $47k. Public lease incentives pull down to about $44-$45k final purchase / lease price.

We may have a winner!

Going to drive one overnight Friday - Saturday to make sure I like it and the numbers work. If so, I'll put down a $500 deposit and join the AR team! will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,754 Posts

I imagine your father will be happy if you decide to support the "home team".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK - update. I have 24 hours with a loaner Giulia T1 19" Sport model. White on red, Harmon Kardon, & Nav. Drove it home from work and had a chance to take it through a really good stretch of winding backroads. This would not be the color or spec of what I would possibly buy, but here are my early thoughts.

Sport interior overall is good. Seats are better than my BMW, including material quality. Only gripe is there is minimal adjustability of the seat pitch (too flat). Controls are laid out well, which is a BMW strong suit. Steering wheel is cool and very sporty looking, but holy sh!t is it pencil thin!! The M-Sport wheel in the BMW is light years better material and way thicker. I much prefer the paddles in the Alfa. Gauges behind the wheel are laid out well. Infotainment screen integration is good, although tough to read in certain light situations. Running through the menus is intuitive and similar to iDrive. I used the Nav briefly and wasn't too impressed, but needed more time to set it up and understand it. I miss the lack of Heads Up Display that I have in the BMW. The HK stereo in the Alfa is crap compared to the BMW. I tweaked a lot of settings and was never able to get good sound. Average at best.

Handling is where the Alfa absolutely shines. Steering is like a scalpel at all speeds. Suspension is a really great mix throughout all speeds & traffic / road conditions. Extremely toss-able and very flat at speed compared to my BMW, which nose-dives a little bit. I couldn't really tell the Alfa was AWD .. except that it was on rails at speed through tight high speed corners in light rain. Handling is excellent and the car feels smaller and lighter than it should.

The engine is good for a 4 cyl turbo, .. but nothing compared to the inline 6 N55 in my BMW. The 5500 redline in the Alfa is a big buzzkill and I was running into redline constantly upsetting the transmission. I know after getting used to it I would learn proper shift points, but man 5500 is low compared to 7000 in the BMW. Turbo lag is more evident in the Alfa. Once at speed, the engine is much better, but I was just up against redline all the time. Pickup is good, but not near as fast or smooth as what I'm used to. The sound is actually better than my 435.

It might sound like I'm hating a bit on the Alfa, but I don't mean to and I think it's ALOT of car for $47k. My 435 stickered for $56k. The Giulia Ti optioned the way I want it (basically loaded) would come in about $53k. My FCA discount and incentives would bring it down to $46-$47k. Fully optioned out - thats a solid deal. The two things that bum me out the most are the 5500 redline and the crap HK stereo (which I know would sound better after break in and more tweaking).

Although I've been looking to downsize my lease payment,.. now I'm tempted to see what I could lease the full blown Quadrifoglio for. The engine in the Ti is underwhelming compared to what I'm used to. 500hp in the Quadrifoglio seems like overkill for me, but I'm sure if I drove it I'd fall in love.

In a strange way, I almost feel like I'd prefer the Stelvio version to the Ti. In a crossover I feel like I'd be less inclined to beat on the engine so much. Funny that after half a day with the Ti as a loaner I'm almost more confused than before...

·
Registered
82 Posts
OK - update. I have 24 hours with a loaner Giulia T1 19" Sport model. White on red, Harmon Kardon, & Nav. Drove it home from work and had a chance to take it through a really good stretch of winding backroads. This would not be the color or spec of what I would possibly buy, but here are my early thoughts.

Sport interior overall is good. Seats are better than my BMW, including material quality. Only gripe is there is minimal adjustability of the seat pitch (too flat). Controls are laid out well, which is a BMW strong suit. Steering wheel is cool and very sporty looking, but holy sh!t is it pencil thin!! The M-Sport wheel in the BMW is light years better material and way thicker. I much prefer the paddles in the Alfa. Gauges behind the wheel are laid out well. Infotainment screen integration is good, although tough to read in certain light situations. Running through the menus is intuitive and similar to iDrive. I used the Nav briefly and wasn't too impressed, but needed more time to set it up and understand it. I miss the lack of Heads Up Display that I have in the BMW. The HK stereo in the Alfa is crap compared to the BMW. I tweaked a lot of settings and was never able to get good sound. Average at best.

Handling is where the Alfa absolutely shines. Steering is like a scalpel at all speeds. Suspension is a really great mix throughout all speeds & traffic / road conditions. Extremely toss-able and very flat at speed compared to my BMW, which nose-dives a little bit. I couldn't really tell the Alfa was AWD .. except that it was on rails at speed through tight high speed corners in light rain. Handling is excellent and the car feels smaller and lighter than it should.

The engine is good for a 4 cyl turbo, .. but nothing compared to the inline 6 N55 in my BMW. The 5500 redline in the Alfa is a big buzzkill and I was running into redline constantly upsetting the transmission. I know after getting used to it I would learn proper shift points, but man 5500 is low compared to 7000 in the BMW. Turbo lag is more evident in the Alfa. Once at speed, the engine is much better, but I was just up against redline all the time. Pickup is good, but not near as fast or smooth as what I'm used to. The sound is actually better than my 435.

It might sound like I'm hating a bit on the Alfa, but I don't mean to and I think it's ALOT of car for $47k. My 435 stickered for $56k. The Giulia Ti optioned the way I want it (basically loaded) would come in about $53k. My FCA discount and incentives would bring it down to $46-$47k. Fully optioned out - thats a solid deal. The two things that bum me out the most are the 5500 redline and the crap HK stereo (which I know would sound better after break in and more tweaking).

Although I've been looking to downsize my lease payment,.. now I'm tempted to see what I could lease the full blown Quadrifoglio for. The engine in the Ti is underwhelming compared to what I'm used to. 500hp in the Quadrifoglio seems like overkill for me, but I'm sure if I drove it I'd fall in love.

In a strange way, I almost feel like I'd prefer the Stelvio version to the Ti. In a crossover I feel like I'd be less inclined to beat on the engine so much. Funny that after half a day with the Ti as a loaner I'm almost more confused than before...
Interesting feedback! I have had my Ti AWD with 19" sport package for about 11 weeks now. I have put about 3k miles on it. I came out of an Audi S4. Just to take a few of your points and offer my input, I would start with the engine/acceleration, because this was my biggest personal struggle in going from the S4 to the Giulia. In a perfect world, I would love to have a Giulia at the price I paid with a 6 cylinder engine. My S4 was smoother and faster. I like the engine a lot though, and I feel that it works well with the overall feel of the car. I have come to learn that the fastest car is not necessarily the most fun or engaging to drive. That brings me to my second point.. the steering. I like your use of the word "scalpel" because the Giulia's steering has that level of precision. It is unlike any other driving experience I have ever had and is a MAJOR contributor as to why I love driving this car. The steering in the Audi was completely sub par. Not engaging at all, and detracted from the driving experience in a very noticeable way. 3rd point is the suspension/handling. I would put this in the same category of better than any car I have ever driven. 4th and last point is the seats. I absolutely love the seats in the 19" sport package. From the material to feel to grip to shape, they just work so well and complement the steering and handling so well. In short, I find the Giulia to be an incredibly engaging car to drive, more so than the S4 was, and over time, like with anything, you get used to what you know and leave behind what you had. The engine performance has grown on me, and complements the steering, suspension and seats quite well. I drive around feeling that no one else is having as much fun as I am!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i think the saying is ... It's more fun to drive a slow car fast,... than drive a fast car slow. I think that definitely applies to the Ti,.. which at the end of the day is not a slow car. very fun, you're absolutely right.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The two things that bum me out the most are the 5500 redline and the crap HK stereo (which I know would sound better after break in and more tweaking).
Hey! Very nice write up and I agree with you on pretty much all points (driven my Ti Q2 3000 miles in). About the engine though, this engine is tuned in a way such that peak power occurs way before redline. If you shift too close to redline you actually lose a lot of power (it doesn't roll off smoothly after peak power rev, it falls off a cliff!) Once I got used to the relatively narrow power band and learned to shift early (~4500rpm), I felt the engine became much more predictable.

This is a 3rd party dyno graph that shows the issue:
http://www.ragazzon.com/file_public...Giulia_952__2.0T_Q4_57.0114.00+50.0718.00.pdf

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Very tough to compare a 4 cylinder (turbo or not) to a 6 cylinder engine....Clearly apples vs oranges....as for the Quadrifoglio....Well, I own one and a good friend owns a Ti....they are two completely different cars...which is why you can get 2 Ti's for the price of one Quadrifoglio....To me, I've never been a BMW fan...Most notably due to the BMW clientele (which I'm sure does not apply to you because after all, you're about to buy an ALFA !!)...
I think you'll find the uniqueness of the marque to be all you need to make the leap...Good luck with whatever you choose to do....D

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
"Together we are perfectly balanced. Our senses awake."

See my signature line. ;)

Have you seen the extended cut version of the ad? Check it out on YouTube.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts