Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I come to a stop in a parking space, my garage, etc., pushing the engine stop button also puts the car in park and engages the parking break (I have autobrake enabled). Should I be putting the car in park before stopping the engine, or is letting it all happen automatically fine?

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
The fact that the car does that is more of a programmed safety feature than a convenience feature. But I'd say, potentially yes because you will get accustomed to not shutting down the car properly. If you have the auto-stop feature enabled, and you stop your car, your engine will stop and in this state you can get confused thinking that your car is off when its actually not and the car will lurch forward if you lift your foot off the gas. If you are parked somewhere and the car accidentally lurches forward, you can hit the wall in front of you or the car in front of you or the parking space stops which can damage the front of your car if you are not careful. This has happened to a forum member. See thread below:
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/7...ems/9177-stop-start-feature-2.html#post118025

Just shut down properly in the following sequence:

1) Stop vehicle
2) Press "P" which will then engage the automatic parking brake if you have enabled it.
3) Press Engine Stop/Start

Its really not a big deal.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
proximity keys with start/stop engines are weird - I inadvertently left a rental car running/not running for a half hour (it was in park), which I'm sure saved plenty of fuel haha.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,380 Posts
What I often find happening is start/stop shutting off the engine when I pull into a parking space and pressing the "P" button bringing it back to life only for it to be shut off a moment or two later when I press the engine button.

I forgot something in the house the other day and went back in, leaving the car idling in the driveway. I heard a beep as I walked away and another as I approached a few minutes later. Signals that the key has left the car and returned?

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
What I often find happening is start/stop shutting off the engine when I pull into a parking space and pressing the "P" button bringing it back to life only for it to be shut off a moment or two later when I press the engine button.
Yup. That would be correct. To avoid it, disable the auto/stop star prior to pulling into your parking space so the car does not shut off when its stopped and proceed to shut down normally so it avoids that double (unnecessary shut downs) Pain in the rear!!

I forgot something in the house the other day and went back in, leaving the car idling in the driveway. I heard a beep as I walked away and another as I approached a few minutes later. Signals that the key has left the car and returned?
If the car is idling, you may have walked in front of the parking sensor which will make your car beep as you walk away from the car. It will beeps again as you approached your vehicle and got close to your parking sensors as you entered your car.

If you left with the keys in your pockets while the car is idling, the car will beep constantly until the key is brought back in proximity. A very annoying effect for any passenger that is inside the car.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I get this all the time when I pull into my driveway. Drives me nuts.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,380 Posts
The "A" button is the answer to everything.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm guessing if you've got the brake depressed when you put it in park and keep the brake depressed when you press the engine button, it won't restart just to shut down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts