Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Admitted COTA - Circuit of the Americas - fanatic here. Planning to purchase a Giulia QV soon and will take it to COTA regularly. I am a new instructor and have been to BMWCCA, PCA, MVP Tracktime, and Chin events at COTA. I plan to join The Driver's Edge, Edge Addicts, and some other organizations there as well.

Please share your COTA experiences! If you set a PR, share it along with the setup of your car, tire selection, etc. Videos welcome.

Can't wait to get on track in a Giulia QV!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your future purchase of the QV!

I have had the QV for 2 months now, and although it is still winter in New England (with tons of snow) I can say that the vehicle is phenomenal even with snow tires on...... actually better than my 997 C2S

I have never been to COTA, although it is on my bucket list, maybe one of these years I will race there with PCA, but I have been to just about all the tracks on the east coast and plan to take my QV there as soon as May. In fact, several Giulias are doing a track event at Lime Rock Park this coming May.

What tracks have you driven? Which cars have you taken there?
As soon as you get your QV and take it to COTA, you must post a video here for us to enjoy.......

Again, welcome!

Reactions: COTA QV

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your future purchase of the QV!

What tracks have you driven? Which cars have you taken there?
As soon as you get your QV and take it to COTA, you must post a video here for us to enjoy.......

Again, welcome!
Thank you for the welcome! My usual tracks are COTA, MSR Houston, Cresson, and TWS (recently closed), all Texas tracks. COTA is my favorite. ;)

When you eventually make it down I am happy to provide some instruction to get you up to speed. I took a few friends there for their first visit last weekend and was able to get them moving in their run groups fairly quickly.

Would be fun to get a group together at some point, I need to get my car first of course! Working on it.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
welcome dude! As Jerry said let us know if you're up East Coast way for some track action. We have a couple of QV's who are instructors too so you'll be in great company :D Would love to come to Tx one day though think i'll grab a trailer first :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi and Welcome. I floated the idea of Southwest Giulia Club having a meet at COTA. I’m in Albuquerque, and would love to do this. I realize the logistics would be tough, but I would be interested in trying to put something together.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome!! I'm not the biggest fan of the track, but I'll say it's more fun the faster the car is that you're driving. I like the 1.7 mi section of MSR Cresson a good bit. Will you be at COTA for the Pirelli World Challenge Race in a couple weeks?

I'll warn you.... this doesn't end well, though it was exciting.
Broadcast Highlights: (They claim my fault, but race control put it on the #20)

In-Car Last lap
https://vimeo.com/232550976

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Completely chopped off.... that stinks....... did you have a word with him afterwards?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Completely chopped off.... that stinks....... did you have a word with him afterwards?
Yes, but I reviewed my in-car video first. If I hadn't, I probably would have apologized, thinking that I had pushed wide at the apex. But, upon review, I'd found that I was on-line and he changed his trajectory when I was well inside of him. We haven't really spoken of it since. We're not best buds or anything, though. Just acquaintances. Frankly, I don't like the way he races. Whittmer, on the other hand, I love racing with.

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Yes, but I reviewed my in-car video first. If I hadn't, I probably would have apologized, thinking that I had pushed wide at the apex. But, upon review, I'd found that I was on-line and he changed his trajectory when I was well inside of him. We haven't really spoken of it since. We're not best buds or anything, though. Just acquaintances. Frankly, I don't like the way he races. Whittmer, on the other hand, I love racing with.
Agreed, just like in PCA club racing, you know the racers you can trust going into a turn with and the ones that are unpredictable and will push you in the weeds or worst the "blue bushes".....
Regardless, congrats for a job well done........

·
Registered
53 Posts
Agreed, just like in PCA club racing, you know the racers you can trust going into a turn with and the ones that are unpredictable and will push you in the weeds or worst the "blue bushes".....
Regardless, congrats for a job well done........
Thanks. If you were listening closely, you would have heard the announcers call out that he was given a warning for not leaving racing room after he pushed me off for the second time in T12... He obviously didn't heed the warning.

·
Registered
53 Posts
"I don't like the way he races"

I've had that thought before ..
I mean... I don't have to like it. That's fine. But, when you mix him racing like that to me not backing down, you get the incident that you saw. I felt like he was committing to me backing out of my move, which I wasn't going to do.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I mean... I don't have to like it. That's fine. But, when you mix him racing like that to me not backing down, you get the incident that you saw. I felt like he was committing to me backing out of my move, which I wasn't going to do.
In PCA if you are found at fault for 2 racing incidents in the span of 13 months, then you are banned from club racing for a period of 13 months. I suppose rules are a bit different with the big boys......:smile2:

·
Registered
53 Posts
In PCA if you are found at fault for 2 racing incidents in the span of 13 months, then you are banned from club racing for a period of 13 months. I suppose rules are a bit different with the big boys......:smile2:
There's no 13/13 rule here :)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
What about the half car rule? If you are overtaking and are more than halfway than opponent's car, then you can stay, otherwise you have to back out

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
What about the half car rule? If you are overtaking and are more than halfway than opponent's car, then you can stay, otherwise you have to back out
I believe it is more about the line into the corner than that...
in the video the #20 car is clearly 1/2 a car ahead BUT he is on the outside of the line pushing in...he "chopped" him hoping he would back off...coupled with the the fact that the #20 was clearly pushing sideways to force him wide....
is there a history here:wink2:
Wittmer is indeed a outstanding driver...must run in the family:grin2:

·
Registered
53 Posts
In Club Racing, it's usually that the front tire of the overtaking car needs to be beside the driver in the car being overtaken in order to establish position. But, not at the pro level. And, applying a blanket rule like that does not endorse good racecraft and sportsmanship, imo.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio
210 Posts
I just completed my first track day in my 2018 QV at COTA, a track I’ve never been to before. It was awesome. What a beautiful track with plenty of space/run off. Although I was pretty slow given all the learning I did at this event, I’m loving the capabilities of this car and looking forward to going much fast at the next event.

one thing that was odd is that I got a code at the end of the day when switching into race mode. The code had something to do with the fuel lines/pressure.I know our cars throw codes due to starvation when under a half tank, but my tank was 3/4 filled. Do you think it went into starvation at that level or something else may have triggered the code? After I limped it back to the pits, I was able to clear the code and it hasn’t come back. I was able to drive the car all day in D mode.

Reactions: COTA QV

·
Registered
89 Posts
Great stuff. I’m glad to hear first hand experience in a QV. I’m assuming there is fuel on campus? What was your code? I have a QV and plan to head to COTA with Chin. I’m concerned with the CELs. What did you use to clear the code?

I just completed my first track day in my 2018 QV at COTA, a track I’ve never been to before. It was awesome. What a beautiful track with plenty of space/run off. Although I was pretty slow given all the learning I did at this event, I’m loving the capabilities of this car and looking forward to going much fast at the next event.

one thing that was odd is that I got a code at the end of the day when switching into race mode. The code had something to do with the fuel lines/pressure.I know our cars throw codes due to starvation when under a half tank, but my tank was 3/4 filled. Do you think it went into starvation at that level or something else may have triggered the code? After I limped it back to the pits, I was able to clear the code and it hasn’t come back. I was able to drive the car all day in D mode.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts