Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As we approach track season, I wanted to see if my understand was correct or if I'm missing something.

I was able to do 1 track day last year as my second was cancelled due to a cracked windshield and my car being stuck at the dealer (though as a bonus I got my 17 springs put on and didn't have to pay for the windshield alignment since it was needed and covered by the springs!).

I paid on average 250 for the event itself (which I found fair and expected)

I paid an average of 350 for the insurance for each event (which I thought was crazy considering the deductible, but it did give me some peace of mind)

I paid 650 for 2 inspections (performed at the same time) and a brake fluid flush (required by both events); (this I found the most crazy, and why I signed up for 2 events within 30 days of each other so I'd only need 1 inspection/flush visit to the dealer; which by the way, only 1 of the 5 dealers I called in my area said they did).

If you add that up, that's 1250 for 1 track day or 1850 (925 each) if I couple 2 events; not including gas, or consumables.

I know tracking isn't cheap by any means, but for those that track their car, are you paying similar prices?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
The paid inspection is not necessary at all. Beyond that, it's way more expensive than what you describe if you drive the car at all hard. I calculated about $1.5k per day in consumables if driving properly to not cook the rotors etc and running factory consumables. If you are going to do it more than once or twice per year you should invest in slicks or cheap rubber and definitely track pads.

My first track day with the giulia I cooked the front pads, killed the front corsas, and wore the rear pads and corsas by ~25-50%. That alone = > $1.5k in consumables in one day. And I wasn't really pushing that hard.

Your rates for insurance and track time sound about right or even a little lower than I paid. But that's unfortunately the cheap part.

·
Supporting Vendor
703 Posts
I think you need to differentiate between an open lapping day or an instructed HPDE type event.

At our local track open lapping days are typically $100/half day or $160/full day during the "peak season" and less during the winter months. These are self-tech-inspection events.

HPDE events with instruction are typically $250-$300 per day, and usually do require a tech inspection that is usually done at the event and is free or minimal cost.

·
Registered
819 Posts
As we approach track season, I wanted to see if my understand was correct or if I'm missing something.

I was able to do 1 track day last year as my second was cancelled due to a cracked windshield and my car being stuck at the dealer (though as a bonus I got my 17 springs put on and didn't have to pay for the windshield alignment since it was needed and covered by the springs!).

I paid an average of 350 for the insurance for each event (which I thought was crazy considering the deductible, but it did give me some piece of mind)

I paid 650 for 2 inspections (performed at the same time) and a brake fluid flush (required by both events); (this I found the most crazy, and why I signed up for 2 events within 30 days of each other so I'd only need 1 inspection/flush visit to the dealer; which by the way, only 1 of the 5 dealers I called in my area said they did).

If you add that up, that's 1250 for 1 track day or 1850 (925 each) if I couple 2 events; not including gas, or consumables.

I know tracking isn't cheap by any means, but for those that track their car, are you paying similar prices?
you spent a lot of money on inspections you didn’t need to. Most all events I go to our self inspected but of course you should make sure your car is safe taking it to some race shop is a good idea but it wouldn’t cost that much. You should flush your brake fluid about every 8 to 12 hard track days and use the best DOT 4 fluid you can get I used Redline RL-600.
If you use stock brake pads you can cook them and even half a day if you’re either a really great driver or a really poor driver LOL!
Never buy brake pads at the dealer it’s like $1400 or set a front brake pads that you can get aftermarket ones from anywhere from $200-$400!!! And when your stock rotor wears out after maybe six sets of brake pads buy the Girodisc rotos or another one like Tarox that are much superior to OEM can the same price or less! I love Girodisc products and the ST43 brake pads they sell. But if you do a ton of street driving you really have to warm them up or you can have rotors wear quicker. It’s never been a big deal for me I don’t drive the car in a lot of cold weather with those pads.

Opentrack has some really good deals on insurance especially if you sign up for the whole year the deductible is half. I think for $3000 or $4000 or you can do the whole year and do like 20 track days or more with like 5% deductible of claimed car value.
My yearly fee is $5100 for my 2017 Giulia QV and my 2020 Stelvio QV both valued at $85,000 each because they have some mods. And 500 of that is because I track in Canada too. Unlimited for the whole year. Considering I do a minimum of 30 and as high as 45 track days a year that’s like $125 to $150 per day. If you only do a few track days a year it might be $300 a day.
The cost to go to the track is this low as $175 but usually is around $300. But for the nice tracks or ones with open sessions you can be paying $450 or more.
Tires last two or three track days if you drive like a nut otherwise maybe double. Brake pads front six to eight days.
Can you cut travel time and hotels I bring a car hauler trailer with living quarters so I don’t pay anything usually.
Hope this helps!
FYI The first rule of tracking club is don’t focus on the money..... It’s too depressing LOL

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
QV is one of The most expensive cars to track IMO due to the scarcity of aftermarket options to make it affordable. But if money is no object like @Call me Al said you can do some things to upgrade and save money in the long run. If Someone was going to track it 2-3 times a year hard then I would recommended against it especially if it’s a daily driver. The occasional fun just doesn’t seem worth the cost IMO. If you have the money and you have the mechanical means to fix it then it’s a fun car to track. I would only be speculating but you could prolly buy a Miata and mod it for the same price as tracking a QV 4-5 times total and hang wit almost any car on a track if you’re skilled.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
The paid inspection is not necessary at all. Beyond that, it's way more expensive than what you describe if you drive the car at all hard. I calculated about $1.5k per day in consumables if driving properly to not cook the rotors etc and running factory consumables. If you are going to do it more than once or twice per year you should invest in slicks or cheap rubber and definitely track pads.

My first track day with the giulia I cooked the front pads, killed the front corsas, and wore the rear pads and corsas by ~25-50%. That alone = > $1.5k in consumables in one day. And I wasn't really pushing that hard.

Your rates for insurance and track time sound about right or even a little lower than I paid. But that's unfortunately the cheap part.
@Avnyc11 ....what ^^^^^ said. don't know why you spent so much on inspections. at a CCA event the inspection consists of making sure the tires are in good shape, they check the pad thickness, look for any obvious leaking fluids, and your helmet is current. all for free!
cost for a trackday really depends on which track. ie: the Patroon Chapter is having 2 HPDE at LRP in April & August.
cost for April is a 1 day event $325 for CCA members. the August is a 2 day event (shared w/LRDC) and is less than $300 each day.
depending on how you drive will dictate if you need new pads after a full day and tires. thats where you will spend your $$$$. I have not used track insurance in quite sometime, principally because your not driving fender to fender and with an instructor you are usually kept under control;)
hope to see you at one of the 2 events!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Don't be afraid to look for local autocross events! It's a good bit smaller, slower, and less 'track' time than an actual HPDE, but it's also a ton less expensive, and much less rigorous on the car. And since autocross is in an empty parking lot with the only obstacle being cones, you don't have to worry about the insurance, unless you're worried about a potential scuff on your front bumper.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I signed up last year for one bmwcca (patroon at LRP) and one mbca HPDE event. I used motorsportreg.com As part of the signup, each event had an inspection form that was required to be completed within 30 days of the event and to be completed by a shop/technician. They also required that a brake fluid flush be completed within 3 months of the event.

It didn't seem like I could complete the inspection myself. I could have lied and forged some signatures, but I thought the brake fluid was necessary and that alone cost about 450 from Miller; and as I said in my OP the other 4 dealers in my area that I called, and two 3rd party shops, all said they didn't/couldn't perform it.

I understand and expect the cost of consumables. I'm new to HPDEs and am not pushing the car that hard that I'm going to ruin my tires or brakes after one event.

It's the inspection/brake fluid and insurance that I'm mostly concerned with. When I asked around last year, the consensus (both from this forum and friends who track their cars) was to get insurance for the peace of mind. I didn't think I'd sustain damage that would cost more than the deductable, but again the recommendation was to play it safe. I just looked at opentrack and the individual HPDE price is about the same as what I paid; I went with lockton but haegerty was about the same as well. I checked the unlimited coverage option with opentrack but I would need to participate in over 10 track days to see a benefit, and that's just not possible for me.

Autocross is an interesting alternative. Hadn't thought of those pros before, but I just might have to give it some thought. I just took a look and this one seems interesting. I might have to give this a try for the price and convenience (the closet track to me is LRP, and that's still 2 hours away)

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I signed up last year for one bmwcca (patroon at LRP) and one mbca HPDE event. I used motorsportreg.com As part of the signup, each event had an inspection form that was required to be completed within 30 days of the event and to be completed by a shop/technician. They also required that a brake fluid flush be completed within 3 months of the event.

It didn't seem like I could complete the inspection myself. I could have lied and forged some signatures, but I thought the brake fluid was necessary and that alone cost about 450 from Miller; and as I said in my OP the other 4 dealers in my area that I called, and two 3rd party shops, all said they didn't/couldn't perform it.

I understand and expect the cost of consumables. I'm new to HPDEs and am not pushing the car that hard that I'm going to ruin my tires or brakes after one event.

It's the inspection/brake fluid and insurance that I'm mostly concerned with. When I asked around last year, the consensus (both from this forum and friends who track their cars) was to get insurance for the peace of mind. I didn't think I'd sustain damage that would cost more than the deductable, but again the recommendation was to play it safe. I just looked at opentrack and the individual HPDE price is about the same as what I paid; I went with lockton but haegerty was about the same as well. I checked the unlimited coverage option with opentrack but I would need to participate in over 10 track days to see a benefit, and that's just not possible for me.

Autocross is an interesting alternative. Hadn't thought of those pros before, but I just might have to give it some thought. I just took a look and this one seems interesting. I might have to give this a try for the price and convenience (the closet track to me is LRP, and that's still 2 hours away)
autoX is fun, you learn a lot about car control, and it is close by for you (NY Chapter does all its AutoX at Nassau Coliseum Parking Lot). you might still beat up your tires pushing a QV around the cones lol.
how many HPDE did you do last year?, wasn't @BostonDMD your instructor for the CCA event?? or am I mistaken? after you have a few under your belt and you gain that confidence for peace of mind, you may just drop the track insurance. there are guys I know that don't really carry it anymore.
listen tracking a car isn't an inexpensive hobby, but then again neither is Golf, and I'd rather be on a race track then a Golf course;)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Didn't read the rest of the thread but always pay about $400 for track time with instructor. Did not pay for insurance, did not pay for inspections, did brake fluid flush as normal maintenance, nothing special. I would not do trackdays if I had to fork over $1k+ every time, that is a crock. I also am conservative and not trying to win any awards that day, I am not going to push it to 10/10ths.

Personally found autocross boring as hell (10 hours in an airfield for 10 min of runs) but I did it to get a feel for the car at speed and all my instructors were very glad that I did it, and thought it was a wise choice. Would do autocross again if I got another car, especially if more powerful/faster.

·
Registered
539 Posts

I paid an average of 350 for the insurance for each event (which I thought was crazy considering the deductible, but it did give me some peace of mind)

Just some notes about track days:
  • average entry fee is $150-$300 for a local track HPDE type of event, per day
  • average entry fee is $350+ for a fancier track (ie. Laguna Seca, COTA, etc), per day
  • Insurance for an event is good if you are not financially comfortable with having the car burst into a ball of flames and walking away from it. If you aren't get track insurance.
  • Brake fluid flush makes sense before your first event to run higher boiling temp fluid. After, it's merely a bleed to firm up the pedal again. Bleeding after each event will essentially flush the system. The biggest cost in this is the fluid cost ($20/300ml). You can save a lot by buying a pressure bleeder and doing it yourself.
  • Inspections are critical. Propping the car up on jack stands, pulling wheels, and checking bolts, brakes, brake lines, tires, etc will save you a potentially bad day at the track. Over the years, I've found loose suspension arms, cracked oil lines, bad tires, loose lugs. You're putting your car on a track and testing the stresses of the vehicle that aren't normally seen on the street -- best to do a once over before doing it. If you can do it yourself, you'll save a ton of money and time.
  • Depending on how close the track is, a single track day can be anywhere from $500-$2000 or more. We don't do it for the financial responsibility of it all, we do it because after the second car came off the assembly line, there was a race.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
autoX is fun, you learn a lot about car control, and it is close by for you (NY Chapter does all its AutoX at Nassau Coliseum Parking Lot). you might still beat up your tires pushing a QV around the cones lol.
how many HPDE did you do last year?, wasn't @BostonDMD your instructor for the CCA event?? or am I mistaken? after you have a few under your belt and you gain that confidence for peace of mind, you may just drop the track insurance. there are guys I know that don't really carry it anymore.
listen tracking a car isn't an inexpensive hobby, but then again neither is Golf, and I'd rather be on a race track then a Golf course;)
I didn't see any NY or Nassau autox events on motorsportreg, which is why I'm looking at the NJ one for now, but Nassau would be a lot closer for me

I had 2 planned but only ended up doing 1 because of the cracked windshield, but yes @BostonDMD was my instructor. I didn't think the insurance was necessary as I figured the amount of damage I would need to sustain in order to make it cost effective didn't seem like something that would happen in a novice group, but I still went with it on everyone's advice. I tried to inquire about insuring for only 10-20k and not the full value of the car, but that didn't seem to be an option. That would have only cost about 100$ and I wouldn't have had an issue with that.

Didn't read the rest of the thread but always pay about $400 for track time with instructor. Did not pay for insurance, did not pay for inspections, did brake fluid flush as normal maintenance, nothing special. I would not do trackdays if I had to fork over $1k+ every time, that is a crock. I also am conservative and not trying to win any awards that day, I am not going to push it to 10/10ths.

Personally found autocross boring as hell (10 hours in an airfield for 10 min of runs) but I did it to get a feel for the car at speed and all my instructors were very glad that I did it, and thought it was a wise choice. Would do autocross again if I got another car, especially if more powerful/faster.
If you don't pay for inspections then do you just fill out the forms yourself and sign your own name?

I don't want to spend 1k each event either which is why I created this post.

I know autox isn't as fun as a track but for the cost, it's worth checking out

Just some notes about track days:
  • average entry fee is $150-$300 for a local track HPDE type of event, per day
  • average entry fee is $350+ for a fancier track (ie. Laguna Seca, COTA, etc), per day
  • Insurance for an event is good if you are not financially comfortable with having the car burst into a ball of flames and walking away from it. If you aren't get track insurance.
  • Brake fluid flush makes sense before your first event to run higher boiling temp fluid. After, it's merely a bleed to firm up the pedal again. Bleeding after each event will essentially flush the system. The biggest cost in this is the fluid cost ($20/300ml). You can save a lot by buying a pressure bleeder and doing it yourself.
  • Inspections are critical. Propping the car up on jack stands, pulling wheels, and checking bolts, brakes, brake lines, tires, etc will save you a potentially bad day at the track. Over the years, I've found loose suspension arms, cracked oil lines, bad tires, loose lugs. You're putting your car on a track and testing the stresses of the vehicle that aren't normally seen on the street -- best to do a once over before doing it. If you can do it yourself, you'll save a ton of money and time.
  • Depending on how close the track is, a single track day can be anywhere from $500-$2000 or more. We don't do it for the financial responsibility of it all, we do it because after the second car came off the assembly line, there was a race.
While being most expensive, the brake fluid had a window of 3 months because of the mbca requirements, but it was the inspections that had a 30 day window and cost one hour of shop time, so about 180$

Thinking about it more, if I need to do a brake flush yearly anyway, then doing it before track season would be fine. But that still leaves insurance and inspection on the table, which is about 500 right there

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,661 Posts
I've been to one HPDE event, and one autox event. FYI FWIW.

The two day HPDE event was about $400 + $50/yr membership fee (Audi Club Glacier Lakes Chapter)
A handful of the local import / speed shops do free tech inspections for Audi Club members, which I am a member of... obviously... with my Alfa, because I have to class up the joint, right!?
My Ti was $209 for insurance through Hagerty with a 10% deductible, and $38k coverage for the two day event. I was able to seet my coverage amount... basically, how much are you willing to fork over in case of a full loss. Other events may run you more depending on the type of track day it is. I'm guessing that an open track day could run you more as it is way less policed than a HPDE event with instructors.
I used about half of my brake pads and tires, OEM. Still running them today @ 15k miles on them. Brakes are almost gone in the rear.
Ended up driving about 120 miles over the two days, got about 8MPG (QV will be less).
Hotel for two nights, $250
Beer, don't remember, but $$$.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
@Avnyc11
here ya go BMW Car Club of America
AutoX events are listed on the site, there is no sign up like an HPDE. you show up, sign in. there is, or at least used to be, haven't done one in ages, a sheet that works like a point system to classify your car. goes by make model, HP, type, mods etc. should be on the site. nothing has been scheduled yet for 2020. but you can see the forms for car classification non members are welcome, you just pay a wee bit more.;)

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I didn't see any NY or Nassau autox events on motorsportreg, which is why I'm looking at the NJ one for now, but Nassau would be a lot closer for me

I had 2 planned but only ended up doing 1 because of the cracked windshield, but yes @BostonDMD was my instructor. I didn't think the insurance was necessary as I figured the amount of damage I would need to sustain in order to make it cost effective didn't seem like something that would happen in a novice group, but I still went with it on everyone's advice. I tried to inquire about insuring for only 10-20k and not the full value of the car, but that didn't seem to be an option. That would have only cost about 100$ and I wouldn't have had an issue with that.

If you don't pay for inspections then do you just fill out the forms yourself and sign your own name?

I don't want to spend 1k each event either which is why I created this post.

I know autox isn't as fun as a track but for the cost, it's worth checking out

While being most expensive, the brake fluid had a window of 3 months because of the mbca requirements, but it was the inspections that had a 30 day window and cost one hour of shop time, so about 180$

Thinking about it more, if I need to do a brake flush yearly anyway, then doing it before track season would be fine. But that still leaves insurance and inspection on the table, which is about 500 right there
You are dismissing the biggest cost - consumables - and I'm not sure why. After 1 or 2 more track days you will be faster and will push harder (probably still only 5-6/10's) and you will incur costs in consumables that are greater than your track + insurance fees that you are already taking an issue with. I didn't want to face this either - but if you plan to track your QV you are going to spend an obscene amount of money in consumables - especially if you run stock consumables. If you want to reduce the overall cost to track, you need to account for (and be honest with yourself) the consumable costs and find ways to mitigate it ahead of time. e.g. cheaper rubber/track pads/second set of rotors/added camber (<- do this anyways!) etc. Trust me, you are probably only a track day or two away from feeling good and pushing a little harder and then finding out that 20 minute session cost $2K....

Regarding insurance - I got the best rates from opentrack for individual sessions. One thing you'll find is a track weekend costs the same/slightly more as insurance as a single day - not to mention 2 day HPDEs don't typically cost much more than a single day. So in bang-for-buck, you will do much better in cost/day doing 2 day events. I only track a few times per year and definitely believe in the insurance. In my opinion, if you make contact on track with another car or a wall, it's likely the car is a total loss. And in my limited track experience, I've seen a few bad things happen.

·
Registered
539 Posts
While some say you could do away with the inspections and just sign the form yourself, as "self-teched". And, if you wanna be a bit douchy about it, you could rely on the insurance to cover any issues you might have caught during an inspection. Meaning, skip the inspection, if you have a mechanical or crash the car, you could just submit a claim.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been to one HPDE event, and one autox event. FYI FWIW.

The two day HPDE event was about $400 + $50/yr membership fee (Audi Club Glacier Lakes Chapter)
A handful of the local import / speed shops do free tech inspections for Audi Club members, which I am a member of... obviously... with my Alfa, because I have to class up the joint, right!?
My Ti was $209 for insurance through Hagerty with a 10% deductible, and $38k coverage for the two day event. I was able to seet my coverage amount... basically, how much are you willing to fork over in case of a full loss. Other events may run you more depending on the type of track day it is. I'm guessing that an open track day could run you more as it is way less policed than a HPDE event with instructors.
I used about half of my brake pads and tires, OEM. Still running them today @ 15k miles on them. Brakes are almost gone in the rear.
Ended up driving about 120 miles over the two days, got about 8MPG (QV will be less).
Hotel for two nights, $250
Beer, don't remember, but $$$.
I know I can select the coverage amount, but the consensus was to choose the full value. I think next time I would go for less since I'm comfortable with a little risk

@Avnyc11
here ya go BMW Car Club of America
AutoX events are listed on the site, there is no sign up like an HPDE. you show up, sign in. there is, or at least used to be, haven't done one in ages, a sheet that works like a point system to classify your car. goes by make model, HP, type, mods etc. should be on the site. nothing has been scheduled yet for 2020. but you can see the forms for car classification non members are welcome, you just pay a wee bit more.;)
Thanks, I'll check this out! I think I'm still a bmwcca member for a few more months lol

You are dismissing the biggest cost - consumables - and I'm not sure why. After 1 or 2 more track days you will be faster and will push harder (probably still only 5-6/10's) and you will incur costs in consumables that are greater than your track + insurance fees that you are already taking an issue with. I didn't want to face this either - but if you plan to track your QV you are going to spend an obscene amount of money in consumables - especially if you run stock consumables. If you want to reduce the overall cost to track, you need to account for (and be honest with yourself) the consumable costs and find ways to mitigate it ahead of time. e.g. cheaper rubber/track pads/second set of rotors/added camber (<- do this anyways!) etc. Trust me, you are probably only a track day or two away from feeling good and pushing a little harder and then finding out that 20 minute session cost $2K....

Regarding insurance - I got the best rates from opentrack for individual sessions. One thing you'll find is a track weekend costs the same/slightly more as insurance as a single day - not to mention 2 day HPDEs don't typically cost much more than a single day. So in bang-for-buck, you will do much better in cost/day doing 2 day events. I only track a few times per year and definitely believe in the insurance. In my opinion, if you make contact on track with another car or a wall, it's likely the car is a total loss. And in my limited track experience, I've seen a few bad things happen.
I know I'm dismissing them but only because I'm expecting them. When I signed up for my track days last year I expected to have to replace tires and pads, so it wasn't a surprise. It was the inspection, brake fluid, and insurance, that were the big surprises

I'm less bothered by having to spend 2k on consumables than 1k on the pre track stuff

While some say you could do away with the inspections and just sign the form yourself, as "self-teched". And, if you wanna be a bit douchy about it, you could rely on the insurance to cover any issues you might have caught during an inspection. Meaning, skip the inspection, if you have a mechanical or crash the car, you could just submit a claim.
I thought about that though ultimately decided against it, I suppose they wouldn't have known

·
Registered
819 Posts
AutoX: you’re there for eight hours you only drive for 15-20 minutes and maybe 10 miles TOTAL if lucky and the rest of the time you’re either waiting in your car or standing around bored as hell working the cones and that can actually be a little dangerous at some events.
Tracking: you’re there for eight hours you get five or six 20 minute sessions (Close to a total of 120 minutes driving and maybe 120 miles) and many tracking events are open sessions which means you can drive as much as you want. I’ve driven over 7 hours and 300 miles before at a one open session club day!
At the end of both days if you’re doing it right you should be exhausted, one from driving the other from standing around.
Still autoX is better than not driving at all and it does sharpen your senses to perform almost instantly with no warm-up long laps. You get a total of 8 to 10 runs that are about 2 minutes each for the whole day. You can’t afford to take it easy much learning or your runs are over!
With tracking you can take it easy and slowly learn relaxed.
I think anyone who is going to autoX their car should track it first so they know how it handles as you’ll never really learn how your car handles in the short amount of time you drive it at autoX.

·
Registered
819 Posts
QV is one of The most expensive cars to track IMO due to the scarcity of aftermarket options to make it affordable. But if money is no object like @Call me Al said you can do some things to upgrade and save money in the long run. If Someone was going to track it 2-3 times a year hard then I would recommended against it especially if it’s a daily driver. The occasional fun just doesn’t seem worth the cost IMO. If you have the money and you have the mechanical means to fix it then it’s a fun car to track. I would only be speculating but you could prolly buy a Miata and mod it for the same price as tracking a QV 4-5 times total and hang wit almost any car on a track if you’re skilled.
The (QV) actually is not very expensive to track. As long as you know where to go for aftermarket parts.
It’s really not much more expensive than like a Camaro or Mustang similar weight cars.
If you have the carbon ceramic brake option like I do it is very expensive $1300 for a set of pads that only last three hard days! And there was no aftermarket pad for that set up. But since I have switched to the Girodisc Steel rotor and the ST 43 brake pads braking is back down to the normal amount has have about $400 for a set of front brake pads. And rotors that last quite awhile.
And for the OEM Steel Brake Choice cars never buy brake pads from the dealership $1400 and they’re so soft you can use them up and half a day of hard tracking. You can buy brake pads from aftermarket sources for $200-$400 that are far superior.
And FYI I don’t have money to burn I’m actually very frugal doing a lot of my own work and I design mods that actually save me money on consumables. And I bring a car hauler trailer with living quarters to the track and stay there or in three places like rest stop or even Walmart parking lots! LOL.
And my three Alfas that I bought new total less than one new Ferrari!

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I also feel like if I had better driving roads around where I live (as opposed to having to drive at least an hour to get to them) I'd be more content and less inclined to track

@Call me Al when you mention aftermarket brakes, are you referring to both front and back or front only as I've been eyeing a set of Hawks but they only come in fronts

1 - 20 of 39 Posts