Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My perception of its sound:
So I received my Corsa exhaust from Centerline yesterday and today it was installed. LOVE LOVE LOVE the sound. It gurgles, its deep and throaty and it screams when the rpms hit 4k and above. While you are cruising, the exhaust is basically silent. You can barely notice the exhaust note if you have the radio on together with the road noise. The exhaust is also basically silent while its idling. The exhaust note on first gear as its going through its rpm range is a bit tamed compared to second gear or higher. I drove around in a parking lot and it sounds amazing. I changed to manual paddle shifts and in Dynamic mode and drove up and down the garage. The TI finally sounds as menacing as it looks.

Installation notes:
After the exhaust was installed, the exhaust developed a rattle upon driving off the shop at around 2 miles. I took it back and the mechanic determined that the right side of the exhaust was hitting a metallic piece that sticks out. If the right side tip is not aligned precisely, it can hit the metal piece and cause it to rattle. I took a picture so you all can see what I am talking about. The right side is more susceptible to this than the left side. There is a lot more space on the left than on the right.

I have one observation. Now that the tips are attached to the actual exhaust, you will see it vibrating while its idling. Due to this vibration, the installer has to make sure there is enough room all around the plastic shroud so it does not vibrate against it. The tips have a very good heft to them and look very good.

Sound Clip:
In order to fully hear the exhaust sound clip. You must have a woofer, and good mids and tweeter setup. That is the only way you will hear the different sound frequencies that are emitted by this exhaust.

https://youtu.be/oGAfRH1hm8Q

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks for the instal tips and the review of the sound. From your description it 'sounds' like it is as advertised and just want I'm looking for. Mine is still in its box but I hope to get it installed soon.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Nice! Thanks for the thoughtful review. A couple of questions.

Notice any drone in the cabin? Family friendly decibels at low rpm acceleration and cruising? Seems like you've confirmed that cruising is pretty quiet.

Do you notice differences on sound across the DNA modes?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! Thanks for the thoughtful review. A couple of questions.

Notice any drone in the cabin? Family friendly decibels at low rpm acceleration and cruising? Seems like you've confirmed that cruising is pretty quiet.

Do you notice differences on sound across the DNA modes?
Hi!
There is no drone if you are driving in low RPM and in automatic mode. Basically the exhaust is very quiet in the lower RPM range with slight to mild throttle input. But once you give it some gas and it passes 3k you hear it. You have more control on how loud it gets if you switch to manual mode. So if you want a loud screaming exhaust sound, shift at about 4k and keep your rpms at or above 4k! Below his range, you hear the deep throaty burble sound. I am In love!

in regards to sound change based on DNA settings:
The sound is entirely dependent on how he car shifts and now long the car stays in a specific gear. So yes, it will be slightly different from A to D.

I also finally got to hear the exhaust on cold start up. WOW! I used the remote start and was about 50 feet away in my parking garage and when it started, it sounded mean and loud. You can now hear the subtle rpm variances as burbles as the car warms up. ITS NASTY! ;)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sound Clip at Cold Start up from about 35 feet away.

You need a subwoofer to listen to the deep throaty rumble. Its LOUD at Cold Start up! I LOVE IT! reminds me on how loud the Ghibli is on Cold Start up.

Once the cat and the engine is warmed up it quiets down and you can barely hear it at idle.

For me this is exactly what I was looking for. Excellent Job at Centerline for designing a great exhaust system for the Giulia at an unbelievable price. I am a VERY HAPPY CUSTOMER!

https://youtu.be/zHHqnnZWUsE

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE:

I am loving the sound! But I think I heard a 1 second rattle this past weekend caused by the same issue noted above. The 3 inch exhaust pipe with its huge diameter is dangerously close to this particular area in the chassis and prone to contact. I think I heard it upon starting the engine when there is excessive vibration caused by the engine funneled through the exhaust system. Has anyone with the Corsa exhaust experienced this? Would anyone have any recommendation?

The Exhaust system comes in three parts. The last part is where the tips are attached. I think I can extend this section a few millimeters further out so that thinner part of the pipe is directly above the metallic piece. However, I am afraid that would extend my tips out too far and it may look like a Ford Truck from behind.

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31353&d=1506804811

Your thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Installed one of these on a Giulia this past weekend. Centerline/Magnaflow did an incredible job of creating a direct bolt-on system. No extra bending or cursing required at the time of install! All of the hangers were spot-on and the entire system just "fits". And, that sound!

How far do your tips protrude from the rear diffuser?

The reason I ask is that it is easy to force the separate sections toward the front of the car. If the sections are pushed too far front, we saw the center tunnel stiffening brace (toward the rear of the crossmember) as being a potential contact rattle point.

When installed, we had slip fit the pipes to favor the center brace and allow the rear tips to protrude almost 1" past the diffuser plastic. While on the lift, we gave it a good rattle test to be sure the geometry of the various sections had the appropriate clearance.

We did *ever so slightly* move the rear "Y" section forward just a hair though. This was mainly to square up the left and right tip protrusion dimension from the diffuser. The right tip initially stuck out a bit further. It is easy to see how this can occur when the car is in the air because the rear "Y" pipe connects to the center section which is on a slight diagonal from the driver's side toward the right rear wheel. The angle is minimal though over distance it causes the right most tip to stick out a bit further.

In your case, though, it appears as though the Y-section may be toooo far forward already meaning that the center section is probably pushed too far forward.

Check the center tunnel cross-member as well. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The reason I ask is that it is easy to force the separate sections toward the front of the car. If the sections are pushed too far front, we saw the center tunnel stiffening brace (toward the rear of the crossmember) as being a potential contact rattle point.

When installed, we had slip fit the pipes to favor the center brace and allow the rear tips to protrude almost 1" past the diffuser plastic. While on the lift, we gave it a good rattle test to be sure the geometry of the various sections had the appropriate clearance.

We did *ever so slightly* move the rear "Y" section forward just a hair though. This was mainly to square up the left and right tip protrusion dimension from the diffuser. The right tip initially stuck out a bit further. It is easy to see how this can occur when the car is in the air because the rear "Y" pipe connects to the center section which is on a slight diagonal from the driver's side toward the right rear wheel. The angle is minimal though over distance it causes the right most tip to stick out a bit further.

In your case, though, it appears as though the Y-section may be toooo far forward already meaning that the center section is probably pushed too far forward.

Check the center tunnel cross-member as well. Hope this helps.

Excellent point and glad you saw that too regarding the center brace being a potential rattle point.

My installer pointed that out and opted to remove it. I'm going to put the brace back on shortly and see if I hear any rattles. Glad I'm not the only one who ran into that! :smile2:

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
I think I can extend this section a few millimeters further out so that thinner part of the pipe is directly above the metallic piece. However, I am afraid that would extend my tips out too far and it may look like a Ford Truck from behind.
You should be fine - I personally think that it looks best with about 1" of protrusion, and this is how the system was designed.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
Installed one of these on a Giulia this past weekend. Centerline/Magnaflow did an incredible job of creating a direct bolt-on system. No extra bending or cursing required at the time of install! All of the hangers were spot-on and the entire system just "fits". And, that sound!
Thanks! We do work very hard to get OEM levels of fit on these products.

How far do your tips protrude from the rear diffuser?

This is a very good point. There is a "sweet spot" where everything lines up and there is plenty of clearance for the cross brace. On a lift, it's pretty easy to find that with a little trial and error. If you are installing the system on jack stands I can definitely see where it may be more difficult to get everything lined up. We have had a couple of customers leave the cross brace off and it doesn't seem to cause any issues, but there should be plenty of space to install it if aligned properly.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for tips guys! I will take it to the shop this weekend for a look and perhaps some small readjustments.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Been over a week and only the good stuff so far. I have no rattles or fitment problems. My dealer has a lounge where you can sit at a window and see them work on your car. The tech who installed it kept checking everything to make sure there were no rattles.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thank you for tips guys! I will take it to the shop this weekend for a look and perhaps some small readjustments.
Can you update when you get this adjusted? I just had mine installed yesterday on my base Q4 and the sound is amazing however I noticed I was getting a good amount of rattle. I just took off my rear diffuser this morning and did a rattle test, finding the problem coming from the rear right tip contact point that you pointed out earlier (mine is even closer than what you pictured). I need to slide the center section and y-section towards the back slightly to get the smaller diameter pipe to sit by that contact point, however my installer says they can't do this without welding the system which I want to avoid and also think is unnecessary. I'm just wondering if you are easily able to shift the whole system towards the rear. I'm going to try pushing back only the y-section a little later since i can reach this without even a jack stand.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you update when you get this adjusted? I just had mine installed yesterday on my base Q4 and the sound is amazing however I noticed I was getting a good amount of rattle. I just took off my rear diffuser this morning and did a rattle test, finding the problem coming from the rear right tip contact point that you pointed out earlier (mine is even closer than what you pictured). I need to slide the center section and y-section towards the back slightly to get the smaller diameter pipe to sit by that contact point, however my installer says they can't do this without welding the system which I want to avoid and also think is unnecessary. I'm just wondering if you are easily able to shift the whole system towards the rear. I'm going to try pushing back only the y-section a little later since i can reach this without even a jack stand.
Will do. I will see what the installer has to say and will provide an update. I think this particular section is of a concern with this system given that the chassis has this protruding point on the right side (passenger side) and the fact that the Corsa exhaust has a large diameter pipe. You see in my picture how close the pipe can get to this section on the Right side. There is no clearance issue at all on the left side.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Will do. I will see what the installer has to say and will provide an update. I think this particular section is of a concern with this system given that the chassis has this protruding point on the right side (passenger side) and the fact that the Corsa exhaust has a large diameter pipe. You see in my picture how close the pipe can get to this section on the Right side. There is no clearance issue at all on the left side.
My installer was more concerned with the alignment when looking at the car from behind than with rattle points (though the tech said it wouldn't rattle). In my picture you can see the weld on the exhaust tip is actually sitting directly against the metal on the chassis which is causing the excessive rattle. I'm hoping I can fix this by just sliding the y-section back further.

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh yeah. That will cause a major rattle like it did on mine for sure. The weld point lines up perfectly with the protruding tip. I am just afraid how the tips will look if I extend section back. I think the tips will stick out more. Take pictures after the adjustments and how the tips look. Looks like you will be able to make changes before I can.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I gave mine a nice tip half way through as I saw he was being careful and was checking the installation. He really appreciated it and was surprized to get it.

Reactions: Macdeath

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Alfa55, can you take a picture of this section in your car? Also a picture of the tips to see how much or how little they stick out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Oh yeah. That will cause a major rattle like it did on mine for sure. The weld point lines up perfectly with the protruding tip. I am just afraid how the tips will look if I extend section back. I think the tips will stick out more. Take pictures after the adjustments and how the tips look. Looks like you will be able to make changes before I can.
So I was able to get under the car this afternoon. Unfortunately I put the diffuser back on before I realized I should have taken a pic from underneath and didn't feel like taking it off for the third time today. I seem to have found a sweet spot just pulling the y-section further to the back. The tips stick out a little further now but I don't think it looks bad. Much happier to not have any rattle and just pure good sound.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Here's a pic of the tip. Can't get the other shot, sorry. Not sure if it matters but it seems my tip is evenly spaced in the opening. As long as it doesn't vibrate against the diffuser it shouldn't matter.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 66 Posts