Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Giulia is the first truly modern car with all of today's high tech electronic features I've ever owned. For the last 2 years I was driving my 91 Spider Veloce as my daily driver. Great car....none of today's high tech. Before that a 2004 Saab 9-3 and a 2006 Volvo S40. Both great cars, but again ancient by today's tech standards.

Too my question - are all these software updates that keep popping up for the Giulia something that is just a way of life with today's cars? Can I just expect to need to take it to the dealer every couple of months for software updates? My car is a 11/16 build and a 2/17 purchase. Had it in for the stalling issue update and dealer said they checked it and performed all updates needed at that time. Car has been great since then ( in fact it only ever stalled once in my driveway to begin with, and thanks to this forum I knew what needed to be done ) I know there is an infotainment update right now, but I haven't had time to get it in. Those of you who have had newer more electronic, technically advanced cars, are these dealer updates normal? And will they go on forever?

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
414 Posts
I had a few updates for my previous car which was a 2013 Audi A6. I think there were maybe 4 infotainment updates and a transmission update .

·
Registered
242 Posts
My 2011 BMW has had only 1 software update in 6 years of ownership. However, it was the 3rd model year of the 3.0L inline 6 diesel.
This is a brand new engine for Alfa so I assume there are more programing kinks that need to get worked out.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
No they are not "normal".....but with a new platform (Giorgio) I'm not surprised....I am surprised at some examples of complete failures in cars...and in others nothing to report....

·
Registered
554 Posts
Take a look at TESLA software updates.. Just saying lol
They just push them automatically over the air though, so there's no inconvenience to their customers. I'd imagine they'd be much more conservative with their updates if it meant every owner had to go in to a dealer for service.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,189 Posts
They just push them automatically over the air though, so there's no inconvenience to their customers. I'd imagine they'd be much more conservative with their updates if it meant every owner had to go in to a dealer for service.
OTOH, Tesla owners find that their car has been completely reprogrammed with little or no notification when they get in for their morning commute. It could be a big and unpleasant surprise if you need to study a new set of controls for 15 minutes before you can get on your way to work.

I expect that you have monthly fees to pay to your wireless provider in order to make this work. I am surprised that no Tesla hacking has been reported in the news. Maybe the hackers just haven't figured out how to make a profit from it yet.

After Tesla's self-driving feature has killed a couple of people and auto-park and auto-retrieve features (you can get out of the car and tell it to find a parking spot, park itself, then come back when you call for it) have been declared illegal to use by most jurisdictions, I think Tesla has toned down it's rate of updating the cars.

I don't drive in horrible for cars places like San Francisco, so I don't see the need for features like this in my own car.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Also, wouldn't/shouldn't your self updating car just use your home WiFi or even mobile tether?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Cars are becoming no different than cell phone apps. Whether its a bug fix or perhaps a value added service, we as consumers need to get used to updating our cars the same that we update apps on our phones. The ability to execute the update is a differentiator for vehicle manufacturers.

- Speaking from experience in my day job.

·
Registered
869 Posts
My take is that you will get to a plateau on your cost/benefit analysis. Eventually things in the car will meet your expectations or at least be below your pain threshold and even if there is an update you won't bother to get it.

Now some us, like me, like to be up to date whether they perceive an issue or not. Comes from my software background I guess.

Last point is, is if you use the Alfa dealer as your mechanic of choice they should do that check/flash anytime you take it in....even if unrelated, so you may not even notice.

·
Registered
554 Posts
My take is that you will get to a plateau on your cost/benefit analysis. Eventually things in the car will meet your expectations or at least be below your pain threshold and even if there is an update you won't bother to get it.
Valid point. I have had a CEL on my Mazda 3 for over a year now. It's related to some sort of external temp sensor TSB, but it's not affecting the car in any way, so I've completely ignored it. I suspect updates will come out and I won't even know about them because my QV will be flawless.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Latest issue...I got the dealer to check with Alfa, and they confirmed there is a map update for my vehicle...

So they downloaded it and it killed the system, locked it into a continuing update cycle. So the Tech gets onto Chat with Alfa Support, and after a couple of exchanges over a couple of hours, the diagnosis is...

"The PC file they downloaded was too big, so they should kill the update and download the Mac version, which is smaller"

OK, so I guess that means the Navi unit can use either format??? we'll see if that works tomorrow, if not, it's a loaner till Monday at least...which is miles on their vehicle, OK with me.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Good news, finally upgraded and seems to work great. Will post another thread on the updates and version #'s.

The news on the problem updating was Alfa's tech training didn't cover certain things well. In this case, the car needed to be completely asleep, which means the remote has to be a quite good distance away. Then they had to have downloaded the Mac version of the files (size issue) and placed them in a folder...then they have to move them from the folder one by one to get the car to recognize them. The tech was annoyed at the hassle because they never Ed trained them on all that, however he did say the Alfa engineer was very good and very patient in walking them through the process.

Results look good; 7 presets, 4 bars of temperature, navi has a 3D mode and more switches to chose for traffic...if it'll ever work. Plus it get a nice wash and they filed the tank up!

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
How does it work? I went through the settings and it told me to add the flash drive to the USB port. I could not find anything in the user manual about infotainment updates.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts