1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 QV Rosso Comp
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

I waited about 750 miles to follow up with this review. Part 1 is here:

Bottom line up front: I wholeheartedly recommend these tires for street summer driving in moderate to hot climates.

Continuing from where we left off: I was initially concerned that these tires had plenty of straight line grip, but were less sharp on turn in. For the first 600 miles or so, that was absolutely true. Then, suddenly, I wore through the molding dots and things changed dramatically.
Automotive tire Tire Synthetic rubber Azure Tread

You can see the dots near the edges in the photos. In addition, I came to pressure choices of 32 rear, 36.5 front by using the "autocross" trick with chalk on the tires. The break in period and the fine tuning of pressure are both critical for these tires.

At roughly 600 miles, the steering, for lack of a better word, developed a huge amount of "heft". It felt like driving a tank. If you've driven a non-QV and a QV with Michelin tires, then you know what I mean by heavy steering. I had been missing that in these tires, and when it arrived it was like throwing a switch.

The steering weight immediately inspired confidence, and much like Takumi in Initial D I suddenly felt like I had "my car" back. The lateral grip is absolutely intense. I'm taking corners at 10-30mph faster than was comfortable on the MPSS. The straight.lone grip is brilliant. The temperature band is brilliant. The tires are just great.

They really do feel responsive and stuff now. The difference was pretty big- soft enough in turns that I was worry I had made the wrong choice, then suddenly so stiff that I stopped obsessively visiting tire rack.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Wood Synthetic rubber

They also aren't invincible. Promptly got a nail in one, whomp whomp.

So what's lacking? I suspect that if you are tracking the car, you might need more. These are pretty durable on track, but I have no way of knowing. Similarly, if you must run at the recommended PSI, you will find them soft.

On the other hand, if you are willing to adjust and play, these are a cheaper, more widely available, and compelling alternative to Pirelli and Michelin. For me, I suspect these will be my go-to over time. Next year I'll do a follow up review.

·
Registered
2019 QV Rosso Comp
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is the autocross “chalk” trick?
Mark the tire edge, then drive "the course". Can be an autocross course, or maybe a twisty road on your commute. Make sure you have worn off the chalk up to the edge, but not beyond. If you aren't at the edge, lower psi. If you are going over the edge, increase psi. This photo was before I lowered by 1psi.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread

·
Registered
'20 Ti-Sport Carbon Q4 Rosso Comp
917 Posts
did you consider conti extreme contact force?
if so what made you pick sport over force?
i can't wait for someone to do a review of RE71RS as i think they will be the tires to replace my old RE11 which i prefer over RE71R

Reactions: migliori

·
Registered
2019 QV Rosso Comp
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I desperately wanted Conti Force. But they are not made in anything that would work at all on a QV. I'd have to go down a width in front AND up a width in the back.

·
Registered
'20 Ti-Sport Carbon Q4 Rosso Comp
917 Posts
I desperately wanted Conti Force. But they are not made in anything that would work at all on a QV. I'd have to go down a width in front AND up a width in the back.
only thing i don't like about RE71RS is that the tire looks so round instead of having edge around corners
but the pictures shown are in smaller size with taller sidewall so we shall see.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,409 Posts
A nail already? I didn't know you were in NYC 🤣

Are you covered for that?

• Haha
Reactions: migliori

·
Registered
2019 QV Rosso Comp
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A nail already? I didn't know you were in NYC 🤣

Are you covered for that?
Ha, New Mexico, any of the five boroughs, same difference. It was covered because the forum told me to buy hazard coverage.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
In case of needing winter tires, A/S tires may be a good compromise in places where there is winter but not extreme winter (e.g. Cincinnati, OH). This is a quick commercial comparison between these three, very similar and very good A/S ones.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
9,088 Posts
The picture shows a screw.
I've got Michelin PS A/S 4 on my Q4. 34F in next week's weather prediction so summer tires are not an option for me. A "hidden" advantage over A/S 3+ that I previously had is that A/S 4 are markedly lighter than A/S 3+, reducing unsprung weight as a result. A/S 4 is quieter than A/S 3+ as well. I have no trouble pulling over 1g in turns and braking. Now if I could only convince my little 4 cylinder to give me 1g acceleration...

The dots on the conti tires are really curious, I have never seen that before. Most tires have a thin "rind" on the surface of the tread that has to be worn off before you get good traction.

When tweaking tire pressure beware of altitude changes. I inflate my tires at sea level and then drive over a 9600 foot high pass. At 9600 feet the tire pressure will increase by 4.5 PSI, although the usually lower temperature will take some of that away. I end up with 33PSI front and rear in my Q4 to get good traction and even wear. Of course my car is about 200 pounds lighter than an average QV so 1.5 to 2 PSI lower pressure can be expected.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,409 Posts
In case of needing winter tires, A/S tires may be a good compromise in places where there is winter but not extreme winter (e.g. Cincinnati, OH). This is a quick commercial comparison between these three, very similar and very good A/S ones.

View attachment 127934
I'm thinking more and more that I'm going to replace my alpin winters with a/s when the time comes. I think I'll be better off in NYC, especially during the transition months

Reactions: Giuliano

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have the AS3+ on my QV, and the same on my daughter's Audi Q5, because occasionally we have temps in the 30's and of course, in SC, lots of rain. The very small trade off for my Alfa's handling is much more secure wet weather safety, and not having to worry about cold temp damage to the ultra performance sumner versions. By the way, the Michelins seem to wear really well, and are very secure on the on and off ramps I explore. NV

·
Registered
2019 QV Rosso Comp
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's interesting, I didn't feel the need to do a similar review for the DWS06+ because they were so clearly perfect for all seasons.

In Santa Fe, NM, we get significant snow on the winter, and I've always run all seasons. Our snow very rarely packs into road ice due to the low humidity, so it works well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts