Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I've lately been cross shopping something more... nimble, compared to my current squeeze, a '17 Mustang GT w/Performance Pack. It's fine and all, but up in the mountains it just doesn't have the turning capacity w/o dropping around $6k.

That, plus a new commute of 1hr stop and go traffic, and manuals get a bit... tiring. So enter performance cars with ZF's and dual clutches!

Right now, I have my eyes on the Audi RS3, but it'd be a shame if I didn't at the least give the Giulia QV an in-depth look!

That being said, at least for the 2018s, have they resolved a lot of the issues? Are there still any reliability quirks?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've been in your boat, OP.

Sandwiched between a '03 Evo & '13 Evo, I owned a '12 Mustang GT for a couple years and just wasn't the same.

Part was over once you turned the wheel, uninspiring handling to say the least.

The QV will have what you seek in spades - power AND handling.

RS3 is a nice car, but if I was going sub-compact I'd consider a M2 or ATS-V (not subcompact size, but similar in price + slightly smaller than competition).

All that said, the spectre of unreliability still hangs over Alfa Romeo unfortunately. Most issues with the QV have been sorted out, there are known TSB's for problems, and none seem mechanical in variety, which is very important, IMO.

I'm looking forward to owning a QV in a few years, but test drive all your considerations & make a decision. Once you drive the QV though, I think your decision will be made!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Have owned my Quad since May of 2017...Had one issue with the wiring harness at 8000 miles..12000 miles into it now and all is great...great car...Any concerns about "reliability" are 1st year model concerns maybe (esp early build cars- no different than any manufacturer)...With a proper dealer you should have no fear...Best car I've owned....Remember on a Forum, there may be a partial bias to people seeking out solutions to issues...no different than any other car brand forum....ignore Jalopnik, they're idiots...Good luck

Reactions: lowlight

·
Registered
399 Posts
I had been waiting for a good sedan for awhile. When this became available i went from a 2015 Nismo Z 6 speed to this. Haven’t looked back one of my best auto decisions. Never thought I’d have a automatic trans but i love this one. Nissan has been very reliable for me had them since 87 but the Q.V. has not let me down yet. It’s early only second year but I’ve found if its a problem car you get it or hints that its coming the first year you Owen it. So i say drive it if you like it and it fits you get it you have a 4 year Warrenty with it anyway. If you don’t like it look at one of your other choices. I’d look into a dual clutch in the stop and go traffic might not be the best for that.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
5500 miles on my 2018 QV since January and no problems here. The biggest issue with ownership is if you don’t have any good dealers around you because no matter what you buy you need service if only for maintenance and if things do go sideways it makes a big difference in getting things fixed.

The RS3 is a great car, I had an S3 before and loved it, but no matter how you slice it was still based on a front driver platform albeit a very good platform. The QV handles much much better and much more fun to drive and the best steering this side of anything without a prancing horse on it. The amazing thing is while it handles better it also rides much smoother and better than my old S3, which even had a pretty good magnetic suspension as well. The different suspension modes in the QV are much more noticeable though and the softest setting in A mode is much more comfortable than the S3’s softest setting but the hardest mode in R mode is actually stiffer than the S3’s hardest mode but still seems to absorb impacts better. The RS3 is only going to be harsher and silly it has only manual seats. As to traffic I did have some initial pangs of guilt buying an automatic but the ZF is so good I don’t miss the extra pedal and the times I find myself in traffic I thank my lucky stars I didn’t have a choice in the matter.

I’d say just test drive the QV and see if it lives up to what you want.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
5500 miles on my 2018 QV since January and no problems here. The biggest issue with ownership is if you don’t have any good dealers around you because no matter what you buy you need service if only for maintenance and if things do go sideways it makes a big difference in getting things fixed.

The RS3 is a great car, I had an S3 before and loved it, but no matter how you slice it was still based on a front driver platform albeit a very good platform. The QV handles much much better and much more fun to drive and the best steering this side of anything without a prancing horse on it. The amazing thing is while it handles better it also rides much smoother and better than my old S3, which even had a pretty good magnetic suspension as well. The different suspension modes in the QV are much more noticeable though and the softest setting in A mode is much more comfortable than the S3’s softest setting but the hardest mode in R mode is actually stiffer than the S3’s hardest mode but still seems to absorb impacts better. The RS3 is only going to be harsher and silly it has only manual seats. As to traffic I did have some initial pangs of guilt buying an automatic but the ZF is so good I don’t miss the extra pedal and the times I find myself in traffic I thank my lucky stars I didn’t have a choice in the matter.

I’d say just test drive the QV and see if it lives up to what you want.
S3??? or did you mean an S4??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's good to hear that a lot of my fears seem to be unfounded. I think part of it is it's hard to find any great information since it's such a niche car - almost any other car it's a simple google search away, but these are a bit like a snipe :)

Thankfully I have a Maserati/Alfa dealership near me ( actually will be about 2-3 miles away! ) - I have a friend who works there who has begged me to come take one off the lot since they have... about 11 QV's sitting on the lot.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
S3??? or did you mean an S4??
I had an Audi S3. Before my QV I looked into the RS3 like the OP as well. The S3 with mid 4’s to 60, a semiauto, optional magnetic suspension and AWD which all makes it a pretty nice and quick little car. The RS3 is quicker off the line than even the QV so it’s no slouch with that nutty five-banger. One crazy thing is you can even get optional reverse staggered wheels & tires that are wider in front than the rear to compensate for being nose heavy but that’s the problem. Even with more rubber up front you can’t defy the laws of physics with all that mass in front of the front wheels. Also in RS3 trim you’re looking at $65k base, so not so far off a QV, and the cabin while well made is pretty spartan in that price range and no power seats is irksome.

The current and last models of the S4 and S5 ‘s are nice but still Audi’s really love to understeer and rarely feel tossable. The old high revving normally aspirated V8 RS5 was sweet though. I love Audi’s and their interiors are top notch. The S3’s vw’s origins make it less luxurious inside but it is one of the more tossable cars Audi makes which is why I like it so much...

Still it ain’t no QV...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thankfully I have a Maserati/Alfa dealership near me ( actually will be about 2-3 miles away! ) - I have a friend who works there who has begged me to come take one off the lot since they have... about 11 QV's sitting on the lot.[/QUOTE]

Have you gone over to test drive one? You'll have your answer in about ten minutes!:wink2:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Are you sure the local dealership has 10 QVS and not just the base Giulias? Most dealerships carry one or two in my area, if any. Even Stongsville, the largest Alfa dealership on volume has less than 10 at any given time.

As for reliability, a few notes. Most of the early reviews had two things in common. High praise for the car but reliability issues. That's because those reviewers received the first cars off the line and they all had software issues. Sergio and Alfa even apologized later for the poor initial issues. But thankfully they were all almost software related and have since been resolved. I have an early 17 but have applied all the available updates and she runs like a dream. So I would not have a concern about reliability any more than any other mass produced luxury car.

As other members have suggested, Go drive one and it will make the decision for you. I've been into performance cars my whole life, and it exceeds them all for handling.

Reactions: Bender

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
S3, rs3, s4

my question had to do with cross shopping...:grin2:
for myself, I don;t see the S3 or RS3 as that from a size comparison...as they are smaller than a QV.
from a performance perspective the RS3 is no slouch for certain but I find it priced a bit high for what you get, I was at just over 70k...and left some stuff on the table.
for my money if Audi were to bring the RS6 back once again....I think that I would buy that...especially if they put a ZF8 in it this time:grin2:

@OP best of luck in your decision. I don't think you will be disappointed with the QV. It is truly a wonderful ride>:)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Well the Giulia next to an S3 doesn’t really look all that different in size. It kinda slots between the S3 and S4 in size.

RS3:
176″ L x 71″ W x 55″ H Curb weight: 3,593 lbs

S4:
187″ L x 73″ W x 55″ H Curb weight: 3,858 lbs

QV:
182.6″ L x 73.7″ W x 56.1″ H Curb weight: 3,360 lbs

Also the QV is a specialty model and I’d think many people cross shop many cars in totally different classes like sports coupes i.e. Porches, Vettes, M3’s etc.

It’s kinda funny but I had an original 1996 Audi A4, with rare 5spd and sports suspension, that felt tiny compared to the modern A3/4 mostly because it was almost 6” narrower in its 178” length.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The OP was considering the Q.V. and cross shopping the RS3. Anyone is free to shop for whatever they want. It’s not about what class the car belongs in which is really subjective and anything anyone really wants it to be. Personally I think someone looking into RS3’s will likely have the Q.V. on their radar. Specialty cars kinda throws out the normal marketing classifications etc. I mean no one really needs a 500hp sedan but lots of people want/like them anyway:wink2:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Weren’t you arguing in another thread that the GTV doesn’t really need 600hp? >:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are you sure the local dealership has 10 QVS and not just the base Giulias? Most dealerships carry one or two in my area, if any. Even Stongsville, the largest Alfa dealership on volume has less than 10 at any given time.
According to Autotrader, there's 14 QV's, which coincides with what my friend who works there as a sales person has stated. :smile2:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=30004&startYear=1981&endYear=2019&makeCodeList=ALFA&searchRadius=25&modelCodeList=ALFAGIULIA&trimCodeList=ALFAGIULIA%7CQuadrifoglio&sortBy=relevance&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The OP was considering the Q.V. and cross shopping the RS3. Anyone is free to shop for whatever they want. It’s not about what class the car belongs in which is really subjective and anything anyone really wants it to be. Personally I think someone looking into RS3’s will likely have the Q.V. on their radar. Specialty cars kinda throws out the normal marketing classifications etc. I mean no one really needs a 500hp sedan but lots of people want/like them anyway:wink2:
Pretty much. I mean, look at it this way - this has been my shopping list so far.

Audi RS3
Alfa Romeo Giulia QV
14-16 AMG E63S wagon
Jaguar XF Sportbrake
Jaguar F-Type S
Range Rover Sport
Range Rover SVR
Range Rover Velar
Porsche 981 Cayman S
Porsche 718 Cayman GTS
Porsche 997 C2S
Porsche 991 C2S
Porsche Macan
VW Golf R
Honda Civic Type R
Chevy SS
Mazda Miata RF
Acura NSX
Toyota Supra ( the new gen, if they'd release more info dammit! )
Nissan GT-R
Honda Accord Sport 2.0T
Ford Raptor

As you can see, it's a varied list. The one thing I have to keep reminding myself is, moving in with the gf, I'll be limited to a single parking spot. Now, I could go ahead and either pay for another ( rent it from someone else ) and or rent a place at a car storage place ~35 minutes from where I'd be living, and that of course could allow me to have a daily/fun car, but it's very much worth my while to just look for a "jack of all trades" sort of deal.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts