Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not terrific, not great...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...giulia-ti-basically-lives-dealer-service-bay/

Apparently Consumer Report secretly bought an average Ti and it has been back to the dealer three times -- break sensor wire loose, license plate obstructs parking sensor, and sunroof would not open. The last guy got an engine light, but he still looks forward to driving it. I hope this is an anomaly, but that is some bad luck if your one bad apple gets secretly bought by CR.

·
Registered
104 Posts
All I can say is that I have 5,000 miles on my Q4 without a hiccup. Flawless thus far. Incredibly fun to drive. Gorgeous to look at. Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
I don't believe anything consumer reports says about Italian cars. My Fiat 500L is the car they say is the least reliable in the US, and mine has gone over 50k with zero problems, and that's with an extra 50 horsepower on it.

Greg
If your car is not a Prius or doesn't has 26 cup holders or an ever so important to performance built-in vacuum in the trunk, expect a lot of negative comments about "the annoying things" like too fast of acceleration, too flat of cornering capability, too snug of seats, and too bellowy of exhaust in Race Mode. I heard in the upcoming CR Head to Head, the new Chrysler Pacifica is going to trounce the Quadrifoglio in the subjective rating categories.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Even though I really like the car the CR guys do bring up some valid points. In order to be a serious contender Alfa has to step up its reliability game and also eliminate some of those quirks. If the temperature control operates the way it is described in the video that must be pretty annoying. Also they mentioned the seat cushion, which I have been personally wondering about since my test drive. The seat cushion during my test drive felt flat and did not give my legs any support, but first I thought it was me who could not find the adjusting button which tilts the seat cushion. The CR guys also mentioned it in the video. Is it really not possible to adjust the angle of the seat cushion? Hard to believe. Can anyone with the car has an answer?
Then the other things I've been reading about on these forums. It seems like nobody can figure out if the navigation button has handwriting capability or not. There is no way stopping the seat from sliding back upon exit, and so far there is no one was able to switch off the traction control. These are all annoying things which should be solved

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Even though I really like the car the CR guys do bring up some valid points. In order to be a serious contender Alfa has to step up its reliability game and also eliminate some of those quirks. If the temperature control operates the way it is described in the video that must be pretty annoying. Also they mentioned the seat cushion, which I have been personally wondering about since my test drive. The seat cushion during my test drive felt flat and did not give my legs any support, but first I thought it was me who could not find the adjusting button which tilts the seat cushion. The CR guys also mentioned it in the video. Is it really not possible to adjust the angle of the seat cushion? Hard to believe. Can anyone with the car has an answer?
Then the other things I've been reading about on these forums. It seems like nobody can figure out if the navigation button has handwriting capability or not. There is no way stopping the seat from sliding back upon exit, and so far there is no one was able to switch off the traction control. These are all annoying things which should be solved
Good points. Try twisting the seat levers to see if that will adjust angle.

Traction control may just be a software thing. Hopefully it will be added to a sport package if DOT wants to keep it in place on most models. On the 360 Modena/Spider and Challenge Stradale, you have and Auto button, a Race mode button, and a Start Stop button between the three. With a CS, transmission computer in a 360, you can get the shifting action and some throttle mapping but not the timing map and tune. There was interest in making the Auto button on 360s into one of the two, Start Stop or Race. Some of the techs on the forums looked into it but it could be a hardware issue with the chipset and the harness. The transmission improvement is suberb and you can't really expect any engine mapping with a different engine and heads so it wasn't pursued. It's a great bolt on mod that requires some tuning but you still live in Modena land with no Start Stop or Race mode. Race mode equals ASR off plus Sport.

Since traction off is available on the Quad I think it will be easy to implement. Especially since this is first year of import to the US.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Try twisting the seat controls to change the angle.

Traction off should be easy to implement since it exists on the Quad. May take a software, chipset, and harness tweak, maybe in a Ti model to produce. As long as DOT doesn't forbid it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know the answer to most of these questions, but I do know the nav button on my TI doesn't have handwriting capability. Do any models have it?

My nav wasn't working on delivery, and after replacing it (and the audio unit) some as yet unidentified electronic gremlin threw a code that has the odo blinking.
Don

·
Registered
180 Posts
I agree with everything said in previous post, but my seat does not slide back after I set my mirrors and seat preferences and saved to memory 1. Don't know why or what I did, but it stays put now.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Not terrific, not great...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...giulia-ti-basically-lives-dealer-service-bay/

Apparently Consumer Report secretly bought an average Ti and it has been back to the dealer three times -- break sensor wire loose, license plate obstructs parking sensor, and sunroof would not open. The last guy got an engine light, but he still looks forward to driving it. I hope this is an anomaly, but that is some bad luck if your one bad apple gets secretly bought by CR.
Honestly I've heard way worse problems here on the forum. The sensor is one thing, the license plate thing isn't really a reliability problem, go find a new location for it, most tow hook mounts can be adjusted up or down and it should clear the sensors, and the sunroof ... well ... I am not buying one with a sunroof so I don't care, I've never opened a sunroof on a car in my life :laugh: After multiple years of Rover ownership I can pretty much get a feel for glitches in a car here and there, all you need is OBD II reader and some background knowledge and most faults can just be cleared and not come back for a long time. Not trying to totally defend unreliability of the car here ... but after all it is an enthusiast site

That being said I hate reading these stories because it just makes me nervous about the #1 car on my list, but I will just go ahead and take the risk with leasing one within a few months and see what happens. Seems to me some cars are really good, others a quirk here and there, and some are total lemons unfortunately. I have good feelings about the future for AR and FCA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with everything said in previous post, but my seat does not slide back after I set my mirrors and seat preferences and saved to memory 1. Don't know why or what I did, but it stays put now.
My seat stays put when I get out too. I just wish it was worth sitting in. It's impossible for me to get comfortable because of the no-tilt and short/hard bottom cushion, even on the Ti with the extension. I like the car, hate the seat. Oh, and the non-defeat park sensors. I parallel park numerous times a day and it's like parking a car in Dave & Busters with all the chimes! I'll eventually fall in love with the car though...

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a 2017 Giulia Ti with 19 inch sports package and sunroof. Have had the car for about a month now...and yes, it has some Italian car quirks. But I was driving a much older Alfa Romeo that I got rid of for this car, so this car is a dream! Yes, the temperature controls take more than one turn. you just get used to it. No, the front of the sports seats can not be raised, but the backs can. However the front of the seats can be extended to give you more support. I have not tried to write with the Nav system, but I have seen it done online in videos, so there must be something to it. And, no, you can't stop the seat from sliding all the way back when you exit the car. Not a big deal for me, since I never have anyone in the back seat. But it is an issue if you want to throw a bag in the back behind the drivers seat. Not much space for it with the seat all the way back.

So, does this car have some quirks? Yes, but that's part of what makes it an Italian car. None of them would stop me from owning this car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Once a few more cars sell I'd like to see how owners respond to the CR owners' survey. I can say I've never experienced a bum steer from CR, and I've researched several large purchases after consulting product\brand histories. If CR had put the hammer down on my car I'd surely not have bought it. I have certain expectations of things I spend my money on, with quality being among the high points of consideration. I want a Giulia Ti AWD. I'd probably tweak it for a bit more power not long after I bought it. But it needs to be, as other cars I've bought and tweaked, a reliable base from which to start. I don't dare buy a car with electronic gremlins, and attempt to reflash the ECU. The Giulia is a driver's car among driver's cars, so I'm willing to wait until there's a track record trending towards solid reliability. I think it has that much potential as to make me wait for improvements. I've read some have said "only people with issues post on forums; most don't post if they are not having issues". With so few Giulias sold to date it's hard to overlook the faults one reads about the car. CR isn't the only publication to publish issues with the car.

Given the investment and hopes AR has invested in this car, i have to wonder at the decision-makers's thought process for releasing the car as-is. Fix-on-the-fly? People are waiting for new amps from having windows tinted, and it's reported that these are not replaced under warranty. Fake news? Or unwanted bad press? Either way, it's out there. I don't know that AR can wait for people to decide to buy, in spite of... I don't think it's right or fair to ask enthusiasts to do the heavy lifting to keep the company afloat. Rather AR needs to show that it's working hard to get ahead of these issues. My local dealer told me, after being asked, that ECU updates would come at regular maintenance schedules. I think he means " unless something serious needed immediate addressing". I think. Makes sense to me. I want to see those sales numbers climb inexorably.

In the end, hope springs eternal. I see myself finally living my dream of owning a true drivers' car that whisks me along roads less traveled, my brain only locked into the job at hand; negotiating the next turn with the widest grin possible. A Giulia Ti/AWD fits that image so well, that it has to be worth waiting for. Cool car of the year. :)
Flyby out

1 - 19 of 19 Posts