Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another bad reliability record for Giulia in latest issue of consumer reports. Giulia in the bottom 5. Can't catch a break.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm not even reading it. Same B.S. all over again, I guess. I know what I have, I know what I am driving, I know that I will buy another one when my lease ends, I see people faces when I drive through and I know what the majority of the 5,700 members of this Forum think about the outstanding Giulia.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Consumer Reports has had a thing about any interesting automobile ever since Ralph Nader made it big against the Corvair (which, by the way, was a great car to drive). They loved Ralph Nader. Probably still do.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Very tough number 29 out of 30 (beat Cadillac)
On a surprising result, the Stelvio would be ranked number 8 on same list. Go figure...

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Actually, given the infotainment woes of the Giulia, it doesn’t surprise me. Remember, that the reliability, much like the JDPower rankings, covers a lot of things. Buyers that dislike the brake feel, people annoyed at ACP/AA, people annoyed at the sensitivity of this or that, someone that dislikes the seats...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Nobody contacted me to ask my vote.Who the Flying F does CS talk to? In like 28-30 years of car ownership, never been contacted once! I WANT TO BE IN ON THOSE REVIEWS!
Yeah good question - I've never been contacted either.

Though to be fair, if they were asking me about my 2017 Q4 I would not have good things to say... 2019 QV has been much better (knocks on wood).

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
I cancelled my subscription long ago, but I see the following on their webpage:

Owner Reported Trouble Spots
No Data Available

This sounds like they have no data from owners at all. Anyway, their reliability report should at least say how many respondents they had, otherwise it is fully B.S.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ignore them, they know nothing. They hate all US cars too. My friend buys nothing but Subarus, has had many recent problems (see articles about recalls), on one car so many problems that they gave him a buyback.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
CR sends a survey to all subscribers. The responses are used to help rate vehicles, however, other surveys and corporate reported warranty claims are also plugged in. Alfa is boutique enough not to be rated by a large enough number of owners, however, warranty claims experience and recall data on the 2017-18’s was horrific, and will color reports for years.

I find their overall ratings and reviews generally useful and pretty accurate, however the automotive ratings must be considered from the point of view that they have, which is function and not performance or enjoyment. The year by year ratings of areas where defects are reported has been useful to me in deciding to keep or sell a vehicle (kept an Acura with good averages for eight years, dumped the MB with several areas showing risks before the warrantY expired). I never buy a vehicle based upon their review, but I do look it up to see what I’m possibly getting into (bought an Accord and an Abarth...the Honda was less trouble and less fun).

·
Registered
4 Posts
CR sends a survey to all subscribers. The responses are used to help rate vehicles, however, other surveys and corporate reported warranty claims are also plugged in. Alfa is boutique enough not to be rated by a large enough number of owners, however, warranty claims experience and recall data on the 2017-18’s was horrific, and will color reports for years.

I find their overall ratings and reviews generally useful and pretty accurate, however the automotive ratings must be considered from the point of view that they have, which is function and not performance or enjoyment. The year by year ratings of areas where defects are reported has been useful to me in deciding to keep or sell a vehicle (kept an Acura with good averages for eight years, dumped the MB with several areas showing risks before the warrantY expired). I never buy a vehicle based upon their review, but I do look it up to see what I’m possibly getting into (bought an Accord and an Abarth...the Honda was less trouble and less fun).
Those subscribers usually have the same issues with the car as many reviewers complaints. I love the fact that many of the bells and whistles of the car were omitted in favor of a more engaging car to drive. My only complaint is that I wish they would either give us a manual in the US. I even prefer the choice of transmission vs a DCT for everyday driving as it seems it would wear a lot less than replacing clutches from slippage in rush hour traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
29 out of 30.

exactly how many of those cars my QV would gap in a straight line or track.

straight line model x wit all its ludicrous blah blah raven 5% mercury in retrograde updates might be trouble straight line.

Porsche might be trouble on track.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
It’s the little things which add up to kill Giulia’s ranking. The seemingly pointless MILs, limp mode, random infosys blackouts, and stuff like that. They’re not major, experience-killing episodes, but the difference is that some people never have to take their cars in for anything but scheduled service. Alfa has a long way to go by that measure, and anyone on this forum who pretends otherwise is not being honest.

I love mine despite those things and intend to get another, but that’s because I value the intangibles, like the nameplate mystique and the driving feel. Many people don’t care about those things and weight other elements differently, so that’s the CP audience, not us.

That said, if I didn’t feel it was helpful to recommend every Alfa owner to get an OBD2 reader, that’d be nice (all else being equal).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Being a CR subscriber, I get the surveys and fill them out honestly. It takes a lot of 'free' time to do it but I do it with the thought that in the end, I will get a compilation of results from all drivers. These surveys, as subscribers know, are extremely detailed to the point that one thinks "I have better things to do!". In the end/summary sections I am always positive (would you buy it again (yes!) types of questions). I love my car but agree with @chaadster . Great cars but way to go. Some notable rankings (Car Brand Reliability Rankings) 1 Lexus, 2 Mazda, 3 Toyota, 4 Porsche, 5 Genesis, 6 Hyundai, ... 13 Infinity, 14 Audi, ... 17 BMW, ... 21 Mercedes, ... 23 Tesla, 26 Jeep, 28 Acura

1 - 20 of 55 Posts