Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hehe, and did you notice all the driving factor scores like acceleration and braking? Duh. And seat comfort? I don't think so. ;)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Lolz thats some funny sh.t....
So what all is this mysterious road score encompassing that makes Giulia practically worst in the group? And 6.7s to 60? That would be slower than the old heavy audi A4 with 210HP, were they towing a fridge while acceleration testing?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,474 Posts
Guess I got the wrong car, bottom of the list
Or you read the wrong magazine. I suppose their testing method gets the credit for the 6.7 second 0-60. Maybe they were in 'A' mode?

The one time I relied on their best-rated item, the product (an answering machine - remember those?) broke within a week of purchase. To its credit and theirs, after being repaired it worked mostly well for many years.

·
Banned
264 Posts
Or you read the wrong magazine. I suppose their testing method gets the credit for the 6.7 second 0-60. Maybe they were in 'A' mode?

The one time I relied on their best-rated item, the product (an answering machine - remember those?) broke within a week of purchase. To its credit and theirs, after being repaired it worked mostly well for many years.
No they were not in A mode...they simply did not use left foot braking to launch the car...you know, like in real world driving...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Consumer Reports is more at home reviewing toothpaste or paint, if its not an accord or celica or mini-van, they're confused. They even complained about the started button on the wheel ......I don't believe many Alfa or Maserati owners would care what Consumer Reports thinks ....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Consumer Reports has its place in the "consumer" space. They have a clinical approach. There is no emotion involved.
For the masses cars are just means of trasnportation to go from point A to point B. So, if Consumer Reports can determine which car will go from point A to point B with the least amount of money/trouble/hassle they report it, and for the masses that is a valuable insight.

People on car forums are automobile enthusiasts, petrol heads, car guys, etc. etc. We are passionate about cars and we think emotionally. Our measurement metrics are not based on point A to point B. We judge in subjective measures like exhaust notes, seating positions, looks etc. and we give way more weightage to other objective mesures like handling, acceleration, braking, slalom times, Nurburgring records etc. We ignore (or do not give as much importance) to measures that Consumer Reports cares about.

I dont know why car enthusiasts give a rats a$$ about what Consumer Reports has to say about cars.
We are not their audience.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have always depended on Consumer Reports for choosing the best buy in toasters, hairdryers, laundry soap, toilet paper, interior paints and of course microwave ovens.

I am so disappointed and simply devastated that I now know that I have purchased a very low rated choice for my latest car. Plus now I see below that it has crappy tires!

Soo Sad! :crying:

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,738 Posts
Lolz thats some funny sh.t....
So what all is this mysterious road score encompassing that makes Giulia practically worst in the group? And 6.7s to 60? That would be slower than the old heavy audi A4 with 210HP, were they towing a fridge while acceleration testing?
No, they simply floored it from a standstill. Truth be told, the other manufacturers handle that situation better. What you can't tell from the table is why Giulia performed poorly in the test.

Inadequate tires as standard on the Q4.
Hesitation from a standing start.
Graceless traction control.

Most forum members know about these issues and how to deal with them, but even if CR has the same knowledge they do not care: the test is floor it from idle and see how long it takes to get to 60 and the fact is Giulia scored last place.

Install better tires, get the optional LSD and don't use full throttle in first (a work around for Giulia's overly aggressive TC) and Giulia will do much better relative to the other cars even if similar measures are taken on all of the cars. Add left foot braking and Giulia moves to the top even if it is also used on the others, although it is not clear that left foot brake starting is practical on the road.

I suspect that simply "install better tires" would be enough to get Giulia out of the cellar in the CR ratings. The stock tires that come on the Q4 are the cause of worst in class braking distance and worst in class road holding noted in the report. It is a self inflicted wound by AR.

We and AR should care about CR results largely because it reflects the chance of market success. Being rated as worst at everything except drive-ability does not look good.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The whole report is nonsense. That magazine is a rag.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
The whole report is nonsense. That magazine is a rag.
It would be unwise for AR to be equally dismissive. The facts are that from an idling engine and standing start Giulia hesitates a lot; other cars may also hesitate but not nearly so much. The Q4 comes with crappy tires, which several forum members have complained about; this fault should be easy for AR to fix. Reference the Camaro launch illustrated in Chevy's current ad campaign: controlled wheel spin. Giulia 2.0T won't do that, but I suspect the competitors can.

I (and probably you) are willing to buy a new car, toss brand new tires to get decent equipment and then shop around for "tunes" to fix the other issues and/or learn how to finesse the throttle. Most people are not so tolerant. AR has to sell a lot of these cars or they will be out of business.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Sorry but I find it very hard to believe their performance numbers and manuverabilty numbers. No way an ATS trounces us in that test.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Sorry but I find it very hard to believe their performance numbers and manuverabilty numbers. No way an ATS trounces us in that test.
I can't say that I have a test track and a line up of cars to test, or even the proper skills to test them. I'm still waiting for my car to arrive.

However, other forum members have reported dramatic improvements in max cornering G in the Q4 just by changing the tires. One also reported that the stock tires "let go surprisingly easily". If you put crappy tires on a Lambo you convert it into a crappy car. I gather that the 3 season tires on Giulia are much better than the all seasons that come on the Q4. AR should pay more attention to their tire selection. It has been the subject of many discussions.

Car and Driver in their initial test of Giulia 2.0T (rated Giulia #1 out of 8 vehicles tested) noted that the ATS handled marginally better, but had a harsh ride and they therefore preferred Giulia. They tested a Q2, I don't recollect what tires were on it.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I have yet to have a problem with the Q4 tires. That said I don’t have the opportunity to drive them to the limit on the roads where I live.

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut
1 - 20 of 22 Posts