Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Consumer Reports is good for researching appliance purchases like dishwashers, refrigerators and Toyotas.

I hope the top spot helps Mazda though.
Nah, it is not good for researching appliance purchases either. See my refrigerator post above.

·
Registered
638 Posts
After the close calls in the past few weeks in my QV, I am going to buy & install a dash cam. Been looking at all the review sites, which "rate them" on features, then I look at the reviews. I suspect that it is a tendency for dissatisfied purchasers of anything to take the time to post their misadventures. In my present search like in the past, I accept some bad reviews, and look to see if the pos reviews of an item hugely out number the negative ones. I am sure the camera review sites are funded in part by camera purchases from their site, so don't comment on their "reliability.

As for my cars' reliability, I grew up with Triumphs and MG's, and learned to live with British "reliability" and inconveniences like inability to start in temps below freezing.

My Alfa is at the shop now a whistling noise from a dash vent. I am away at the beach, so no inconvenience to me. But if I had to depend on a car for transportation or work and the like, it would be more than an inconvenience for me. Being retired, and with a long-term warranty on my Alfa, I am quite happy with my Alfa so reports of reliability problems don't bother me, unless the unlikely chance the Alfa brand abandons the US market, like Saab did.

We recently bought a name brand Smart tv based on the store salesman's recommendation of how we intended to use it. A month later, yesterday went back to seek a solution for why it just worn't connect, and the salesman told us our new TV had a lousy and inadequate operating system.

He had some recommendations on their dash cams, but I paid no attention to him and we left.

NV

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lol, yeah take little advice from salesman of any type.
Careful reading reviews these days on anything because so many places (Amazon) have their reviews fabricated. It's not supposed to happen, but it does. So while more legit reviews are going to be negative because yes, people who are unhappy are more willing to take the time to write one, really check them out. The majority of the negative will likely be real. Also check the review dates if they show them. If you get a ton all around the same date but less after it's likely most of those around that date were paid for reviews. And a lot of the really involved reviews with pics (speaking specifically on Amazon here) are paid for (usually with free product if not cash).
Let us know what dashcam you end up with

·
Registered
478 Posts
Lol, yeah take little advice from salesman of any type.
Careful reading reviews these days on anything because so many places (Amazon) have their reviews fabricated. It's not supposed to happen, but it does. So while more legit reviews are going to be negative because yes, people who are unhappy are more willing to take the time to write one, really check them out. The majority of the negative will likely be real. Also check the review dates if they show them. If you get a ton all around the same date but less after it's likely most of those around that date were paid for reviews. And a lot of the really involved reviews with pics (speaking specifically on Amazon here) are paid for (usually with free product if not cash).
Let us know what dashcam you end up with
I actually bought a roomba knockoff on Amazon after getting fed up vacuuming cat hair all the time..it worked fine. About two weeks after receiving it, I received an email from the seller asking to leave a positive review for a 20 dollar Amazon gift card. I was completely shocked and returned my order immediately after receiving that email. Left a bad taste in my mouth and now wonder how many sellers are doing the same practices.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I actually bought a roomba knockoff on Amazon after getting fed up vacuuming cat hair all the time..it worked fine. About two weeks after receiving it, I received an email from the seller asking to leave a positive review for a 20 dollar Amazon gift card. I was completely shocked and returned my order immediately after receiving that email. Left a bad taste in my mouth and now wonder how many sellers are doing the same practices.
Yes, many are, and I belive most are not US based. I've gotten those letters and it's obvious from the grammar and writing it was a Google translate from Manderin letter. Lol
I didn't return my item, but I never did the review. I wonder if they actually pay out of you do leave it. Some of the items I've bought weren't worth the $30 promised gift card

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Although brief, and with a typo, here’s a much more favorable review I just received from the Wall Street Journal‘s auto columnist 😃

Reactions: GottWhat

·
Registered
300 Posts
As a lot of people mentioned, CR is an utter joke when it comes to rating cars. The people who read CR are more interested in buying appliances like Honda's or Toyotas... they're not into cars in any way. Sure, quality is important when it comes to buying a car, but there's a lot more to one than just that. Perhaps that's why a publication like MotorTrend made the Giulia Car of the Year.

I had an experience with a rating agency years ago when I worked at Merrill Lynch. JD Power gave us an 'award' for 'top customer service'. We basically let JD Power listen into to reps that were good at customer service while we kept them from hearing the top performing sales reps. The reason we did that was simple... they guys who were good at sales were ripping everyone off with high commission investments. The customer service reps weren't good at that. They tended to last only a few months at the firm.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have an LG fridge and the compressor went out twice (and covered under warranty) ...
We bought a full set of LG appliances for our kitchen remodel back in 2018. CR thought they were good products from what little info I could get from them. Of the four appliances, three had to have repairs within the one year warranty period. The microwave door actually melted (it's designed to be above the stove), multiple probs with the dishwasher, and the refrigerator froze solid. I'm pretty happy the new house doesn't have LG.

·
Registered
163 Posts
To be honest, I’ve never heard of anyone I know disliking their Mazda and have never heard complaints of their reliability. Why Alfa is so low, I don’t know.

·
Registered
478 Posts
To be honest, I’ve never heard of anyone I know disliking their Mazda and have never heard complaints of their reliability. Why Alfa is so low, I don’t know.
Agreed - besides the RX-7 and other rotary engine models, Mazda has been bullet proof. People tend to forget that Mazda is the work horse of commercial vehicles for much of Asia along with Mitsubishi.

OTOH, everyone I’ve known who’s owned a LR or Jaguar has had some sort of problem. Our old Volvo station wagon is still running but has had its fair of electronic issues.

·
Registered
306 Posts
One of my best friends is a free-lance impartial inspector for extended warranty companies. I had asked him what the worst offenders were and he told me Mazda! He said he inspects at least a 2.3 or 2.5 a week where the crankcase is full of metal debris.

I (who am an Alfa mechanic), worked for Subaru for eight years. We had a dumpster full of engine blocks out back that would get recycled once every two weeks. They are number three in the list.

Although it is a different clientele with Subaru, who swears by the product. I watched someone get their Forester(s) bought back three times for oil consumption, and still bought another. People on this forum are trying to get their cars bought back for intermittent SBL operation.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I guess I took a leap of faith back in 2012 when I ordered my Fiat Abarth. My dad's 1967 Fiat 850 Sport Coupe was cute as hell and thrilling to drive, but Fiats weren't exactly reliable back in those days, and in the end it drove my dad nuts. However, the 55,000 trouble-free miles I put on my Abarth gave me faith that Alfa Romeo ownership would be equally satisfying and trouble-free.

My Abarth's battery died after five years, but that's normal in Minnesota. Other than that, the only issues I had were the cheap pot metal door handle hinges, which needed replacement almost yearly. But hey, every VW and Audi I owned in the 80s had equally shitty door handle construction.

My wife's 2016 Fiat 500X had some minor trim issues, but all was covered under warranty. The only issue both her 2018 Stelvio and my 2018 Giulia have had is a battery replacement, covered by warranty. We use trickle chargers now if we don't drive our cars for a week, so the battery issue shouldn't be a recurring problem.

My son loves Mazdas. He's owned four, and it seems he does a lot of wrenching on them, but I guess he doesn't mind. However, he agrees with me that Mazdas are notorious for rust issues. I see two and three year old Mazdas nearly every day with rust in full, visible bloom.

Reactions: YellowDuc

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I am pretty happy with my 1999 Mazda Protege, but it has had its share of problems:

Wire broken in ECU harness. This took months to diagnose and fix. Left my wife stranded on Mt. Hamilton.
Timing belt tensioner spring broke. Left me stranded at a gas station.
Antisway bar bushing failure.
Driver's side window regulator broke twice. It is incredibly flimsy and will undoubtedly break again.
Fuel cap release cable broke.

I was told that the Mazda 3 engine has a tendency for the timing chain sprockets to come loose, a failure that damages the head.

Anyway, not horrible for a 22 year old car with 160,000 miles but not simple get in it and drive reliable either.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
724 Posts
I wonder if "newness" of the vehicles factors into their formula somehow (including refreshes and redesigns). The Giulia lineup has been, for the most part, unchanged since 2017 (That's 5 model years).

I still immensely enjoy my Giulia and dont really want any other car in the price range, thats available today.

However, I'm not sure if i would get a new Giulia today, specifically because of the standard sunroof on the TiSport.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts