Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've done some searching but the info is a bit vague so I wanted to confirm with owners...

1) Is it possible to configure the hardest/firm suspension setting outside of Race mode (i.e. in Dynamic)?
2) Is it possible to turn on traction control in Race?

I ask because I test drove the car and felt it leaned a little too much outside of Race mode but don't always want to drive around with traction control off...

·
Registered
50 Posts
From what I can tell, you can only switch between the mid and soft damper settings in Dynamic. And it seems like there's no way to change traction control settings for Race mode - just always off.

That was just a quick look in the driveway just now, so I'm not positive that's 100% the case.

·
Super Moderator
1,091 Posts
To add to Whiskey Mike....

1) Race Mode allows the driver to dial the shocks back from full-hard (race) to the medium setting

1a) Dynamic Mode allows the suspension to be dialed back one setting as well (from mid to soft)

2) The traction control cannot be turned on in Race mode (all nannies are off, exception ABS in USA-- have heard ABS is off in Europe and reactivates when extreme hooliganism detected)

·
Registered
622 Posts

1) Race Mode allows the driver to dial the shocks back from full-hard (race) to the medium setting

1a) Dynamic Mode allows the suspension to be dialed back one setting as well (from mid to soft)

2) The traction control cannot be turned on in Race mode (all nannies are off, exception ABS in USA-- have heard ABS is off in Europe and reactivates when extreme hooliganism detected)

this is my experience as well. worthy of note: the race mode is the only setting that allows for the louder exhaust mode...sadly.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I actually love the "stealth" nature of the car...if the exhaust was always "loud" it would get annoying (to me)...that being said, a bit more individuality in settings would have been a better set up, I think...the ability to choose between all three damper settings in any mode for example ...or the ability to ramp up the exhaust note as desired, with the ability to be subdued when desired would have been even cooler....

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Don't worry about it just do it! I drove my car all day today including a long slow commute to and from Boston with some time for some cruising laps before my training session. Absolutely sweet. Suspension is a pleasure compared to my race suspension on the Miata. Mid (soft) mode in Race is terrific, although I did notice some rough spots where Dynamic would probably be better. Just love this car. So comfortable with gobs of performance, sound and style.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't worry about it just do it! I drove my car all day today including a long slow commute to and from Boston with some time for some cruising laps before my training session. Absolutely sweet. Suspension is a pleasure compared to my race suspension on the Miata. Mid (soft) mode in Race is terrific, although I did notice some rough spots where Dynamic would probably be better. Just love this car. So comfortable with gobs of performance, sound and style.
Thanks! I’m seriously considering it. My only concern at this point is I’ve read a few posts that the car has spun out on them unexpectedly even while in Dynamic mode. I have had a variety of M’s, Porsche’s, and AMG’s and am a decent driver but I know my limits and I don’t wan unpredictability. For example, my M5 would spin up the tires and try to go sideways at 30 mph going straight - traction control would step in and save it but it just made the car not very fun to drive on the street because you couldn’t push it. Any thoughts/experiences?

·
Registered
765 Posts
e90076;460161 Thanks! I’m seriously considering it. My only concern at this point is I’ve read a few posts that the car has spun out on them unexpectedly even while in Dynamic mode. I have had a variety of M’s said:
For a 500+ hp car, the QV is very controlled. You would likely have to be on some serious ice or on bad tires to spin this car in the D, N or A. Even in Race with the sticky tires and torque vectoring differential, it is quite controlled. You would have to lift off drastically or give it way to much throttle in a corner to make it spin IMO.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I have spun the tires a little myself in race mode and A mode. A mode was to be expected and actually kind of a plus because it was due to winter conditions and summer tires. The softer mapping in a mode really helps with control but it doesn't totally limit your ability to spin the tires, which is the big concern of people wanting a rear wheel drive car in winter settings. Now that also begs the question, when DOES the traction control step in? I think it's there all the time. I have driven my 360 Spider for 2 years now, with ASR (traction control) off. I am pretty sure there is still some latent traction control in the software. Now I am not a crazy man trying to do burnouts and the like. I found it was easy to feel the limits of the car or feel the tires break free on the Ferrari and let it settle back in during those rare occasion it would start to spin the tires. On the Giulia, it has only slipped at low speed on the ice around my garage or kicked one of my curb ramps out a little as I made my way over the gutter on our crazy driveway arrangements here in MA. It's not so much the gutter as the high sloped concrete apron that turns into sidewalk in less than 3 feet. So anyway, mine are separate and loose, not bolted together so I can hide them easily out of the way. The Giulia and the 360 both will spit the downhill ramp out as the power goes down on the extended side of the rear suspension near full droop. It's the low weight on that corner too. Heck even the Miata will spin in the dust and dirt even without the ramps but it's an open diff. I haven't exceeded 4000 rpm really at all yet on the Quad. I tend to use the power and torque available in the mid ranges anyway and listen more to the note of the engine to find the sweet spot for local driving. Even 4000 rpm in the Quad is plenty loud and punchy. Without a nice straight ahead of me I see no reason to to push it and get anywhere close to braking the tires loose. Now launch mode will be fun but I am not going to try that until spring. I anticipate plenty of wheel spin but all the videos I have seen show calm composed behavior with a little kick out. Nothing sharp like what plagued the early 348s with their narrow track rear wheels. My 1994 was already on the larger track +25mm each side. The Giulia has plenty of track on the rear end with a prodigious contact patch. Brings the Nelly dance song to mind "Hot in here." "Good gracious, @$$ is bodacious..." :D

Reactions: SDdreamer

·
Registered
17 Posts
I drive umm very enthusiastically and have 605bhp and 7800rpm rev limit. I feel intervention about twice per fun run in D but well measured. I've spun in R, ran out of skill and got a lucky lesson. I know guys who drive in R all day but guess they are better/more track experienced. Our undulating roads here, well I was airborne last week, good luck with that TC! But D is fine imo.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
1,208 Posts
I drive umm very enthusiastically and have 605bhp and 7800rpm rev limit. I feel intervention about twice per fun run in D but well measured. I've spun in R, ran out of skill and got a lucky lesson. I know guys who drive in R all day but guess they are better/more track experienced. Our undulating roads here, well I was airborne last week, good luck with that TC! But D is fine imo.
I got airborne once in my QF. For those who know the Silicon Valley South Bay, don't blast up the interchange from 101 S to 85 N. There's a wump on that exchange ramp that will cause all four wheels to lift if you're in a QF at full song...

·
Registered
9 Posts

I agree with this. I have a QV in Orlando, FL. I will say though.... Just but the car if it's in your budget. It is really a cool car and in N mode the most comfortable ride and great gas mileage. I never took it out of race when I first got the car. Now I drive in D quite a bit more and I don't mind the quieter sound at low revs. Every now and then a mustang will give me a go so I will switch it in race and spank him real quick and go back to my casual driving in dynamic. The control you have in race mode is amazing in my opinion but I like to drift it around on open roads when I can. The car literally does whatever I want it to do. If I out the family in I love to go back to the soft suspension. Right now I am considering a squadra tune but I just absolutely love the car I am nervous to mess with it. Go get it!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.