Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Q4
5 Posts
I was trying to make a similar decision between the Focus RS and a Giulia. Test drove both, and while I loved the RS, I couldn't justify the price for a Ford. I got my Giulia just a month ago and I have loved pretty much everything about it. Fun, pretty, surprisingly good in the winter, etc.

I would just recommend driving one, I think that will speak for itself. Good luck

·
Registered
367 Posts
I made the switch from a 2016 st1 to a giulia. I’m glad I did. Such a better car and community. Jd has single handily ruined that community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18, Ti
1 Posts
Definitely go drive one man. I have been drooling over Alfa's for the last 6 years, knew I want one just by the unique look, the numbers they put down, and especially after the Giulia put down the record on the Nurburgring track record in 2016. I really wanted a 4C but they are hard to find in the US for an affordable price. I test drove a Giulia ('18) over the weekend, instantly fell in love as soon as I pulled out of the dealership parking lot. I slightly expected my excitement to drop while I drove but I only got more excited for what was to come. I bought the car that day against everything inside me telling me not to. I am coming from a '90 Z32 (NA), '16 Jetta, and a '17 Lexus IS 300.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I made the switch from a 2016 st1 to a giulia. I’m glad I did. Such a better car and community. Jd has single handily ruined that community.

JD? How did you feel about the Giulia's acceleration coming from an ST? I know it is down on power a bit, and my ST has a few performance mods.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Well, I test drove one over the weekend, and I loved the way it handles and just hugs the road. The one I drove had the adaptable suspension and I really could tell an immediate difference when switching between the drive modes. I was trying to be polite and respectful toward the salesperson who was required to ride with me (shady dealership that won't even let you test drive a car unless you say you want to buy it, so I played along), so it was really hard to push it the way I wanted to.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the acceleration, but maybe that is because it is AWD and the exhaust is so much quieter than my Focus? I do understand it has less power than my Focus, but I thought the quicker shifts might make up for that a bit, I just didn't think it would feel so much slower. Do you think with a few minor mods (intake, diverter valve, exhaust, maybe a tune) it would liven up a bit? I'm not ready to spring for a QV (nor do I want to deal with that fuel economy on road trips). I do love how planted, direct, and precise it felt, and the interior (while not the best quality) is still a very nice place to be.

Edit: I should clarify, the 2 pulls I did were on back roads where I wouldn't have to worry about traffic, after the car had a chance to warm up for a few miles on the freeway, after I had passed through an intersection (so from a rolling start). I only took it up to about 65, out of respect for my passenger.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I’ve driven the st and I feel the Alfa as a whole is quicker. When you start finding the twisty roads that’s where the Alfa really shines. It does respond very nicely with a piggyback which is the cheapest. Intake and exhaust are more for sound in my opinion although I have both and love them. I’m fully tuned on Eurocompulsion phase 2, though Piggyback is the way to go for quick cheap speed. I guess my best advice is look at the car as a whole package. The suspension is in a whole different ball park as well as the trans tune. The thing can slap through the gears with just a quick click it seems. No way I can shift a manual that fast and manuals all I’ve ever driven. The trans just amazes me everyday and the awd I’m just in love with this winter here in Michigan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I’ve driven the st and I feel the Alfa as a whole is quicker. When you start finding the twisty roads that’s where the Alfa really shines. It does respond very nicely with a piggyback which is the cheapest. Intake and exhaust are more for sound in my opinion although I have both and love them. I’m fully tuned on Eurocompulsion phase 2, though Piggyback is the way to go for quick cheap speed. I guess my best advice is look at the car as a whole package. The suspension is in a whole different ball park as well as the trans tune. The thing can slap through the gears with just a quick click it seems. No way I can shift a manual that fast and manuals all I’ve ever driven. The trans just amazes me everyday and the awd I’m just in love with this winter here in Michigan.
I think I'm sold. I just listed my Focus for sale today and will be casually keeping an eye out for a Giulia. I may have some questions about some of your mods, because you sound a lot like me and that is basically what I'd probably do with the car myself!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think I'm sold. I just listed my Focus for sale today and will be casually keeping an eye out for a Giulia. I may have some questions about some of your mods, because you sound a lot like me and that is basically what I'd probably do with the car myself!
I live in South Bend and I typically go to Chicago for service even though GR is about the same drive for me. I bought a 2018 Giulia QV and it's been a blast, 12k on her and counting. I don't drive it in the winter so a Q4 Ti is the way to go for a year round daily. Definitely get the performance package with the adaptive dampers and the 35w bi Xenon (high performance headlights). There's isn't hardly any mods for this car and parts are hard to get. You won't be buying brakes at autozone so keep that in mind. Also buy the mopar max care extended warranty too if you plan on keeping it for a while, it's a good piece of mind. Good luck!

Oh and if you do have parts, changing brakes and oil is just like any other car just has some additional some special steps. If you search around the forum for brake and oil changes you'll know what I mean.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Former ST3 owner here. The ST was bonkers and fun. Raw and unrefined. I loved mine.

3 years ago I made the jump to a 2017 giulia sport. Absolutely loved it. It’s a pure enthusiasts car. Call it a “mature” enthusiasts car.

last year I made the jump again to a quadrifoglio. And man, it’s like I combined the rawness of the ST with the cornering, elegance and refinement of the giulia.

do it! Mercedes, Audi, BMW won’t match the driving experience from the Alfa.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I’d be happy to help all I can. I modify everything I’ve ever driven. The Alfa all I have is the EC phase 2 with all the add ons, I have a muffler delete and the EC v2 intake and the car is a dream to drive. There’s some days I want more power but sometimes the car just amazes me with the power it has without downshifting. So many days I just say to myself dang. That’s impressive. My last car was a Dart 6 sp stick with all the mods. Bigger intercooler. Pipes. EC tune Literally everything short of bigger turbo. I was just not happy with the 1.4l but I got it for gas mileage. Me and the wife bought darts on the same day Hers a automatic though. The Alfa is just in a different league. Even when you open and shut the doors or trunk. It’s just more refined. We both and the kids love it. I think if you made the switch you would be very happy as I am with my decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Oh and if you do have parts, changing brakes and oil is just like any other car just has some additional some special steps. If you search around the forum for brake and oil changes you'll know what I mean.
I do actually enjoy doing most of my own maintenance, so this is good to know. I love my Focus, but I'm just ready for something a little more refined and maybe a bigger back seat. Just from this thread, it seems like this is just a better community. I appreciate all of the helpful insight people have given, especially those who have had a Focus ST.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I do actually enjoy doing most of my own maintenance, so this is good to know. I love my Focus, but I'm just ready for something a little more refined and maybe a bigger back seat. Just from this thread, it seems like this is just a better community. I appreciate all of the helpful insight people have given, especially those who have had a Focus ST.
If you pull the the trigger, there's an Alfa dealer in ohio that's on these forums that would most likely give you the best deal.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Well, I test drove one over the weekend, and I loved the way it handles and just hugs the road. The one I drove had the adaptable suspension and I really could tell an immediate difference when switching between the drive modes. I was trying to be polite and respectful toward the salesperson who was required to ride with me (shady dealership that won't even let you test drive a car unless you say you want to buy it, so I played along), so it was really hard to push it the way I wanted to.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the acceleration, but maybe that is because it is AWD and the exhaust is so much quieter than my Focus? I do understand it has less power than my Focus, but I thought the quicker shifts might make up for that a bit, I just didn't think it would feel so much slower. Do you think with a few minor mods (intake, diverter valve, exhaust, maybe a tune) it would liven up a bit? I'm not ready to spring for a QV (nor do I want to deal with that fuel economy on road trips). I do love how planted, direct, and precise it felt, and the interior (while not the best quality) is still a very nice place to be.

Edit: I should clarify, the 2 pulls I did were on back roads where I wouldn't have to worry about traffic, after the car had a chance to warm up for a few miles on the freeway, after I had passed through an intersection (so from a rolling start). I only took it up to about 65, out of respect for my passenger.
Its likely the "feel" as opposed to objective acceleration numbers.

Stock for stock a giulia is quicker and faster. Stock itll do as well as 4.5 second 0-60 times (awd) and very low 13 second quarter miles. Itll trap up to 104mph bone stock.

The only mod you really benefit from powerwise on the giulia is a piggy back or tune. They all give about 30hp. Its turbo limited after that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have someone likely coming to buy my beloved Focus ST tomorrow (shockingly quick). As I begin my search for the perfect Giulia, I would like the following configuration:
  • 2018+
  • Heated seats/wheel
  • Sport package (sport seats and paddle shifters)
  • No moonroof
  • 8.8" infotainment screen
  • Misano Blue (I may consider other colors)
How can I tell from photos which screen a car has? Are there any other options/things I should look for?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I have someone likely coming to buy my beloved Focus ST tomorrow (shockingly quick). As I begin my search for the perfect Giulia, I would like the following configuration:
  • 2018+
  • Heated seats/wheel
  • No moonroof
How can I tell from photos which screen a car has? Are there any other options/things I should look for?
Good luck with the search. Would be hard to tell which screen just from a picture, but if you can get the VIN for whatever cars you are considering you can pull up the window sticker.

https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Reactions: Hoosteen

·
Registered
367 Posts
  • 2018+
  • Heated seats/wheel
  • No moonroof
JD? How did you feel about the Giulia's acceleration coming from an ST? I know it is down on power a bit, and my ST has a few performance mods.
You can not tell from just looks. They look the same until it is on. Also look for a q2 model. That will have lsd and the adaptive suspension. Otherwise the rest looks good. You will want to do the race knob mod first so you can rid yourself of traction control.

·
Registered
69 Posts
  • 2018+
  • Heated seats/wheel
  • No moonroof
Here in the UK heated seats/wheel, sports seats, paddles and the bigger screen are standard on the veloce/280bhp model. I’m guessing that’s not true over there? I think the “ti” is equivalent spec to the Veloce over there so that’d be a good starting point.

I found the giulia much faster than the ST but doesn’t always “feel” it as it’s quite refined. Putting it in manual mode makes the changes more aggressive and you feel the power more. JB4 (piggyback), Celtic or Squadra tunes all get good reviews and appear to make the claimed power.

And Misano Blue is definitely the right colour...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’ve only posted a couple dozen times, but I’ve been following the forum since I bought my 2018 Ti sport three years ago. In regard to reliability, I think the perception is much harsher than reality. I think a lot of Alfa’s Reliability issues came from decades past when fiat was just slapping an alfa badge on their cars. Of course, there are always issues with individual cars, but as other posters have noted, stay with 2018 Forward. This is the nicest car I’ve ever driven. And it’s the most enjoyable. And, many years ago, I had one of the original BMW M6s. That was a great car for its time, but it never matched the enjoyment I get with my Guilia. I love driving my car. There is one downside, though, that another poster noted. And that is are you near a dealership. I saw where you noted that a dealership is about 40 miles away. I would research that dealership especially on this forum to see if they have service issues. I live in Dallas, and the closest dealerships are in Fort worth, which can percent logistical problems with getting service. So, to sum up, if you think you can live with a distant dealership, go out and find one of these great cars in a color scheme that you really love. And get ready for some great driving, and for random people just to come up and ask you about the car. Because, even BMW and Mercedes drivers know that these cars are special.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts