Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My work situation has changed and I now work from home 100%. I've had my Focus ST for about 3 years, lots of modifications (full bolt-ons, tune, etc.), every option (heated leather Recaros, etc.) and I love the car, but it is "wrong wheel drive" (FWD). The Focus RS is just stupidly expensive for another Focus. I have always loved Alfa's, and a Giulia 2.0 Ti seems to tick all of my boxes, including a sharp driving experience. I need to find one in the area to test drive, but I'm not afraid of a few issues here and there (it's part of the joy of owning one of these!). I'm willing to sacrifice a little reliability potentially for a more enjoyable car. So what can anyone say to convince me to let go of my Focus and take the plunge?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
If you're a car enthusiast once you drive it no one will need to convince you. Youll get one.

Ive had 55 cars now from 650hp supercharged camaros to a dozen modded audis that run low 11s to miata track cars to 911 to c8 Corvette. The alfa is special.

Grab a 2018 or newer model to cut down on small issues. Generally they're as reliable as other chryslers lol but drive more like four door ferrarris.

·
Registered
85 Posts
First and foremost its hard to make any new (to you) car decision without driving one. Driving the Giulia could and should be your deciding factor.

I guess you also have to ask yourself what you're looking for in a car. The Giulia is not a Manual trans hot hatch with bolt ons and a tune... meaning the fun or "hoon" factor definitely isn't there compared to your Focus.

If you're looking for something very unique, borderline exotic, drop dead beautiful, with great performance and very engaging to drive, its impossible to beat the Giulia.

Also every person you know will raise an eyebrow about reliability... i don't believe its as bad as the public perception would lead you to believe but if you're worried about it, aftermarket warranties are very reasonable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're looking for something very unique, borderline exotic, drop dead beautiful, with great performance and very engaging to drive, its impossible to beat the Giulia.
This. I very much enjoy having unique cars, but I also love the engaging driving aspect that so many cars lack these days. I'm in my mid-30's with 2 kids and I'm getting a little tired of the hot-hatch "bro" crowd that is attracted to these cars (ST). I'm starting to feel embarrassed rolling into a funeral or wedding in this car with my wife, as much as I enjoy a quick rip to Costco in it. I'm feeling the need to get something more civilized but something I can still have fun with. I suppose I need to drive one when the weather gets a little nicer to experience it for myself.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am same age as you with two kids as well. The focus st was on my list of cars I wanted badly. I’ve driven a few and didn’t buy them for one reason or another. The Alfa is just in a league of its own. You will love the car as I do mine. The kids tell me all the time they love it as are always begging me to take them on a ride to just cruise around. The whole driving experience is mush more enjoyable again. No matter how Terribly of a day I have at work when I drive home my heart’s pumping and adrenaline is going.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I wanted an Alfa Romeo Giulia even without test driving it. I didn't need to test drive it as I knew that I wanted it. So, I bought it. First a 2018 Ti Q4 and then a 2019 QV, which I will keep for many more years to come. The car is as reliable as any car I have had (Opel Ascona, Fiat 147, Fiat Ritmo, Fiat Regatta, Jeep Cherokee, Audi A4, Toyota Camry, Buick Regal GS and Subaru STI) and based on what I have read in this Forum, as reliable as any Porsche, Mercedes Benz and BMW. If you want a Dream Car, buy a Giulia. You already know, reading in the Forum, that there are many bad and low capability dealerships (and many great dealerships, too) and that you may be disappointed with the loaners they will give when servicing your Giulia, if they give you one. Those are the two reliability and driving issues of the Alfa Romeo Giulia. The rest (design, class, performance, style and exclusivity) has no comparison with any other car.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
57 Posts
@Hoosteen

If the Giulia / Stelvio you are looking at is under the Factory Warranty, in my view, the first consideration you need to research is do you have a competent FCA A-R Dealership Service a reasonable distance from your house?!

Not that you'll need it - but there are some things that only they can do - i.e. recall work that involves software changes.

With that in mind - tell us where are you located?

I'm sure there is a member hear that can steer you towards a dealer w/ competent service.

HTH -

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am located in West Michigan. Zeigler Alfa Romeo Grandville is about 40 minutes away. I have no idea if they are any good. Is there anything to really watch out for on the 2017's? Should I only consider a 2018 or newer?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should also add I am not in a rush to buy, and I am willing to travel for the right deal/car, but it is nice to know if I have a competent dealer nearby.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I am located in West Michigan. Zeigler Alfa Romeo Grandville is about 40 minutes away. I have no idea if they are any good. Is there anything to really watch out for on the 2017's? Should I only consider a 2018 or newer?
No apple car play or android auto. Mostly small issues but i dont like to buy the first year of any car if planning on keeping it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
IMO 2018, some people can speak to possible differences in reliability (not convinced there's any real difference there) but if nothing else for the added warranty.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
620 Posts
I think the data supports that there's little, if any, reliability difference between 2017/2018. Software updates have largely dealt with those issues. The key difference will be if you want CarPlay or not. I think getting ACP on a 2017 is solved, but a pain in the ass. So if ACP important to you, get a 2018.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This. I very much enjoy having unique cars, but I also love the engaging driving aspect that so many cars lack these days. I'm in my mid-30's with 2 kids and I'm getting a little tired of the hot-hatch "bro" crowd that is attracted to these cars (ST). I'm starting to feel embarrassed rolling into a funeral or wedding in this car with my wife, as much as I enjoy a quick rip to Costco in it. I'm feeling the need to get something more civilized but something I can still have fun with. I suppose I need to drive one when the weather gets a little nicer to experience it for myself.
I am older than you, but I had a similar experience. I've driven Mustangs 98% of my adult life, and modded the heck out of them to boot. And, while I loved my car it just didn't do it for me anymore. I wanted something amazingly fun to drive that you didn't see anywhere. Mustangs are on every corner, and most people can't point to the differences between the lowest base model up to the GT500. They're just Mustangs and you see them everywhere. Plus, as much heat as hot hatch bro's get, Mustang owners have an even worse reputation - much of it deserved. So, I made the switch after my wife bought a Stelvio Ti Sport and I fell in love with it. I trade in my Mustang GT Premium / Manual with almost every option for the car I brought home last Friday.

I ended up with a 2017 Giulia Ti RWD + Sport Package + Q2 and I am not the least bit worried about issues. I have 11 months and 15K of factory warranty left, and I'll get the extended warranty through MOPAR before it runs out (to save the hassle of the inspection fee) - and it won't be much money in the scheme of things; Especially since I only paid 23.5K. The driving experience is sublime, effortless, enjoyable.

I purposefully looked for a Q2 RWD with the options I have, and was lucky enough to find one.

To put it into perspective, my 22 year-old son has a Focus ST (we were previously, a Ford family) now that he has done quite a bit too (Exhaust, intercooler upgrade, tune, etc.etc.) and it's not even comparable. In addition to his being FWD, it's just no match at all for the fun to drive factor.

The only changes I will make are the MaxPower Pro and adding TheCarPlayer for Apple CarPlay - I was spoiled. Two mods is very unlike my previous Mustang life.

No apple car play or android auto. Mostly small issues but i dont like to buy the first year of any car if planning on keeping it.
That is a definite issue, and the only thing I missed from the GT I traded. I'll be adding TheCarPlayer to get the functionality. As far as being the first year, I am not worried about 3 years on from when it was sold new, but definitely any buyer should make sure all maintenance and recalls were completed.

·
Registered
460 Posts
+4 on having Apple Car Play and/or Android Auto.

My previous car was a Golf R, and being in my early 50’s I had a IDGAF attitude towards friends, family and colleagues about what they thought about it and truthfully anyone that got in it with me thought it was a hoot. If you aren’t driving much anyways why not keep the ST for a little while longer? The Giulia still has a bit of that IDGAF attitude when there are people that don’t understand why someone would get an Alfa when they could get a BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc...

I had a few wagons and hatchbacks before and love their versatility with kids, especially when they were still in a stroller. I wished they made a wagon version of the Giulia but never gonna happen. I still drool over this rendering:

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Veloce Ti, 2015 4C LE, 1998 916 GTV Spider, 2019 Civic Type R
83 Posts
I think you’re missing the point if you’re comparing a ST to a Giulia. They’re very different cars. Is the Giulia a sporty drive when compared to other cars in it’s class? Definitely. But it’s not a hatch. Alfa already makes a hatch. If you’ve “grown up” a bit and it’s time to move on from an ST, then you’re definitely going in the right direction.
As mentioned already, take one for a test drive. When they first came out I drove one, and bought an Audi RS3 instead, followed by yet another ST and a Civic Type R. Unfortunately the ST runs hot hatch rings around the Giulietta, and although they are in different classes, I sometimes wish the Giulia could do what my Type R does. The Type R is 20 seconds faster around the Nurburgring than what my 4C is.
The Giulia is effectively now my daily, and I miss her every time she heads in for a service. Every day of the week I’d take her over any other car in its class. And yes, I mostly drive with a big grin on my face. But when I want laugh out loud moments of joy I’m driving the 4C, or the Type R.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m hoping you go for the Giulia, but know exactly what you’re letting yourself in for. Take one for a test drive,

PS And what is wrong with hooning in a hatchback? I’m 51, and still enjoy hanging with the ST crowd (in my Type R).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello! As already mentioned, it's all in the test drive! I've had old alfas, BMWs, but also two Lotus Elise (S1 and S2) which were incredible cars with an incredible chassis. Believe it or not, each time I start my Giulia or find a curvy road, the same smile pops up, and I feel like I am 18 again. And when I get comments, they are positive ;) Dont think about reliability, especially if you buy from 2018 on. Mine is a 2016, runs perfect and always has.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts