Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am close to joining this elite fraternity. I plan to purchase a Q4 Giulia TI Lusso with sports package. MonteCarlo Blue. No experience with Italian cars but did buy the Mini Cooper S when it was reintroduced and there were no Ohio dealers. Looking for fun and something a bit different. But I do want a quality car. I am hoping the Giulia is that.

I live in Ohio. Would appreciate any input anyone has on Ganley Alfa Romeo in Bedford, or general comments and advice on the buying process.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ganely was excellent with my sale. Paul Mezzacapo handled everything. I ordered the car in mid-March and it was delivered May 11. Paul did everything correctly except for coding the wheel color. Ganely ordered the correct wheels and made the change over. I did tour their new facility and service looks to be a little underwhelming. Keep in mind they are not moving high volumes of cars in either Fiat or AR. They will not have techs sitting on the bench waiting for a job. They sunk a good chunk of capital in the new Fiat/AR facility.. At the end of the day service is where they have to make some money. You said you are close....I assume you did not make the final purchase. Be aware that many buyers on here are expecting Mercedes and BMW levels of service. Wth a little over 8,000 cars sold in the US YTD, service levels that meet Mercedes and BMW will be rare. Mercedes and BMW sell in a week the cars that Alfa moves in a year. The economics simply are not in the cards. I bought a QV and have been delighted with my purchase. I have had no issues...as listed on the forum and my car was built in April. I also live in the Cleveland metro and have only seen three AR roaming the area. You will have some exclusivity.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not expecting Mercedes level service. I went with Mini when there was essentially no dealer network but BMW was requiring all dealers to build MINI exclusive operations. And quality was pretty good on the Mini from the start. My test drive perceptions of the Giulia were very good, but I have seen enough unhappy stories on this site to cause a bit of concern. I know I am gambling a bit on Alfa (FCA) and Ganley both having long term commitment to customer satisfaction at the level of BMW and Mercedes even if they can't do it out of the gate. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland from Ganley Painesville. Excellent vehicle and excellent dealer service from the Aurora Ganley dealership. Now, how different are Jeep and Alfa in terms of quality and post sale service?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Welcome :)

Your desired car is very, very similar our current car, a 2017 Giulia Ti Q2 in Montecarlo Blue with cream Lusso interior. We special ordered ours to get the Limited Slip Differential, active suspension and paddle shifters. We are very happy with how she drives and rides. I think you will be too. We have 10,000 miles on her without issue.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Welcome :)

Your desired car is very, very similar our current car, a 2017 Giulia Ti Q2 in Montecarlo Blue with cream Lusso interior. We special ordered ours to get the Limited Slip Differential, active suspension and paddle shifters. We are very happy with how she drives and rides. I think you will be too. We have 10,000 miles on her without issue.
Yep, Montecarlo Blue/Creme is becoming a findable combination. Your car sounds like a match for ours. If the OP hunts around enough on the national site looking at the local dealers inventory, he just might find that combo. I was pretty picky wanting the Blue/Creme Q2 w/o sun roof ( it really does reduce headroom) and it didn't take too long to find it upon inspecting the inventories within about a 500 mile radius. I found the local dealer quite amenable to trading for me without giving up a decent deal.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I’ll disagree on the sunroom causing a true headroom issue with 90+% of people, but it Is YOUR choice. I didn’t want the sunroof, but accepted it to get my other options on a lot vehicle.

My car is a loaded base model, Jan 2017 build, and has 5,800 trouble free miles. Been in twice for RRT’s, no real hassle, as I got a Giulia loaner both times. These puppies seem to be built pretty well now.

Reactions: EliseAutoXr

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
We went w/o the sunroof as well, but not because of headroom. Give me a fully open top, or a fully closed top. My experience (with older cars) is that sunroofs are a leak waiting to happen and that they tend to fail (mechanically). We keep our cars for many years and I wanted to avoid major problem twenty years down the road. I don't really expect this to be a problem in the first five years, but most likely, we will still be driving her twenty years from now.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Keeping a car like this for a ‘long time’ becomes tougher due to the ridiculous pace of automotive advancements the last 5-10 years. As an example, so many $80k (new) cars can out perform a Ferrari F430 that was quadruple the cost back in the day.

I love the Giulia, but in 5 years there will be a car that will handily out perform her at 2/3rds the cost.

I get keeping a 4c or a Lotus or a Miata for a long time because those are such focused machines that automakers are essentially abandoning now, but keeping a sedan like the Giulia (and even the QV) for more than 5-6 years as your primary driver is just leaving too much cheap(er) or better fun on the table down the road.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Keeping a car like this for a ‘long time’ becomes tougher due to the ridiculous pace of automotive advancements the last 5-10 years. As an example, so many $80k (new) cars can out perform a Ferrari F430 that was quadruple the cost back in the day.

I love the Giulia, but in 5 years there will be a car that will handily out perform her at 2/3rds the cost.

I get keeping a 4c or a Lotus or a Miata for a long time because those are such focused machines that automakers are essentially abandoning now, but keeping a sedan like the Giulia (and even the QV) for more than 5-6 years as your primary driver is just leaving too much cheap(er) or better fun on the table down the road.
Well it's also a question of how much performance can you realistically use? Unless you're buying a weekend track car, the cars you can buy right now have performance that already exceeds anything you can legally use on the street.

I bought my Giulia and I plan on keeping it a long long time. The looks, the style, and the pleasure of driving it is so good, it's going to be hard to beat. By then, I'll be old enough that I doubt I'll care.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"exceeds anything you can legally use on the street"
or even reasonably use.

but there's always new versions of infotainment haha

·
Registered
646 Posts
"exceeds anything you can legally use on the street"
or even reasonably use.

but there's always new versions of infotainment haha
Ha! Ironically, my 4 year old Maserati has a better infotainment system than the Giulia. The screen and graphics are not as pretty as the Giulia’s, but functionally it is MUCH better and easier to use. Even the navigation. Bothers me almost none.

But it is a special type of fool who buys an Italian car expecting logical electronics!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts