Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New here. I am in the market for a new car and was really set on getting a Giulia. However, a few people that know a thing or two about cars have basically told me to STAY AWAY! I did some poking around and saw that there are numerous quality issues with Giulia, especially in the early to mid part of 2017. Have initial quality issues been resolved/improved? Or are the 2018 models still plagued with quality issues? I am also considering Audi A5/S5 and BMW 430/440. I currently own an Audi A6 and that car had almost no quality issues. I would hate to buy a new car and have to take it to the dealer for repairs often. Any advises would be greatly appreciated. Would love to own one, but so many negatives reviews for the car, unfortunately .... :frown2:

Yun-

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am now four months into my Alfa adventure with my 2018 Giulia Ti. It has been all that I hoped with the only exception being the slow response by Alfa in providing Apple CarPlay software, which did not come with the car from the dealer. The car has been essentially perfect in every way. I enjoy every single driving experience. I like it far more now than I did when I put the money down to buy it. I am gaining an appreciation of all the engineering expertise that was poured into this car. I think there is risk in buying any car, but "no guts no glory". The upside of the Alfa is far superior in my mind to what the others offer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am now four months into my Alfa adventure with my 2018 Giulia Ti. It has been all that I hoped with the only exception being the slow response by Alfa in providing Apple CarPlay software, which did not come with the car from the dealer. The car has been essentially perfect in every way. I enjoy every single driving experience. I like it far more now than I did when I put the money down to buy it. I am gaining an appreciation of all the engineering expertise that was poured into this car. I think there is risk in buying any car, but "no guts no glory". The upside of the Alfa is far superior in my mind to what the others offer.
Thanks for your input. So, you didn't have any build related issues that many people seemed to have?

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I'm two months into ownership, at 1.3k miles, and have only had one problem, that of occassional noxious fumes entering the cabin when slowing and stopping.

They have gotten less intense over the period, and I've not made any trips longer than 45 minutes one way on the highway, which makes me wonder if it is some kind of burn-off thing, and if I got the engine good and hot, it would go away.

Otherwise, my only complaints surround the function of the remote start features, and while the seats don't heat as described in the manual when remote started, it's also not clear to me if the rear window defroster is functioning properly in that mode, as occassionally it turns it, and sometimes it doesn't. It always functions fine (as do the seat heaters) if I press the rear defrost button once I get in the car, and while it does defrost quickly, it is somewhat annoying given the purpose of the remote starting is to prepare the car to drive, but then you can't see out the back. Small thing, perhaps, but nonetheless imperfect.

The rest of the car has been fine, though, and driving has really gotten better over the period, with the car feeling tighter and smoother than it did initially. The sound system has gotten better, too.

Overall, my advise would be to consider *very carefully* which features you want and expect, and look *very carefully* at what the Giulia delivers in the real world, so spend lots of time at the dealer and really test drive as much as possible. I say this because execution of the details and amenities you probably take for granted in cars of this category and price may not be present on the Giulia.

For example, the infotainment system is very weak, with poor car data offerings and poor phone integration, especially with iPhone. It should be there, but make sure the car you select has functioning CarPlay if you expect to integrate your phone. Another example would be lower seat cushion tilt; only Lusso trim has it. Tilt! I seriously don't think I've had a car without tilt since MY85! Consider things like those, and spend time in the Giulia to see how things work before you buy.

On that note, while I don't have any real sense what the ratio of problem cars to perfect cars is, I'd say there's enough variable weirdness in these cars that I'd consider avoiding a special order if possible, and prefer to buy something off the lot which you can spend a few days with, run through the functions, and feel fairly confident in it. I'm not necessarily afraid to special order, but in addition to the unkowns with the car, there are the unkowns with the delivery period, but if you can't find what you want off the dealer lot and you know you want this car, do it. My only regret is that I sacrificed the Leather Package for immediate delivery off the lot. Next time, I'll hold out for that, as the dash and upper door material doesn't satisfy me at all, and if I need to spec order, I probably will.

Giulia is stylish, distinctive, and a brilliant driving car worth taking a gamble on if you appreciate those kinds of things. If you're largely indifferent to them, though, and just interested in a different nameplate, maybe Giulia is not the best choice, not yet. From a strictly objective assessment, my '16 Ford Edge Sport is a nicer car; everything works and it has more features. Yet, it's the Alfa which I prefer to drive.

·
Registered
71 Posts
As someone who is moving from an Audi S3 to a Giulia QV (on order), I have had the same thoughts as you. Have you driven the Alfa yet? ALL of the reviews comment about the excellent handling and suspension. They are right. Driving the Alfa feels like riding my motorcycle. The only mechanical issue I've had with my Audi is a squeak in the sunroof that the dealer fixed. I expect the Alfa to have some issues, but the results seem pretty good looking on this forum given that it is an all new car. Most of the problems seem to be software related. All cars seem to have some of these. My Audi wouldn't start for a couple of minutes one time, then it did. Another time it went into limp mode while driving down the freeway. These were intermittent gremlins that didn't recur. I was also looking at the BMW 440 but it seems that car is guaranteed to have squeaks after a half year or so. I don't see much about squeak issues for the Alfa. Bottom line is the Alfa's driving experience! The Ferrari engineers did an excellent job.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Here are my thoughts coming from having had a BMW and Audi: The Giulia will drive better, the 440 and S versions of Audi's may be comparable, but the fit and finish is better in the Giulia. HOWEVER, the service network for Giulia's is TERRIBLE. The dealers know nothing about the vehicles, and will tell you warning lights can be ignored and that features that should work are available on the "Italy only" version. ON THE OTHER HAND, I have had 0 mechanical issues with the car.

Conclusion: If you can put up with an annoying dealer network and some annoying warning lights from time to time, the Giulia will not disappoint. It simply is an amazing vehicle to drive.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hello,

New here. I am in the market for a new car and was really set on getting a Giulia. However, a few people that know a thing or two about cars have basically told me to STAY AWAY! I did some poking around and saw that there are numerous quality issues with Giulia, especially in the early to mid part of 2017. Have initial quality issues been resolved/improved? Or are the 2018 models still plagued with quality issues? I am also considering Audi A5/S5 and BMW 430/440. I currently own an Audi A6 and that car had almost no quality issues. I would hate to buy a new car and have to take it to the dealer for repairs often. Any advises would be greatly appreciated. Would love to own one, but so many negatives reviews for the car, unfortunately .... :frown2:

Yun-
Purchased one year ago a '17 Ti Sport built in Nov of 16..... Best car I've owned, and the most ENJOYABLE by far to drive... two software updates in the first 4 months took care of a couple of minor issues... My take is your friends are not truly informed - those that own, for the great majority, are behind the wheel smiling and leaving others behind... I've owned an Audi, and currently have a Benz as well... The Giulia runs circles around both in terms of level of connectedness and its "soul".... If you are a passionate human you will love this car.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Welcome Yun! As with 'any' car model/make there's always the odd lemon and for those unfortunate enough to get one, I echo you'd want a great dealer close by. The vast majority here have had either no issues / simple software issues all sorted out by warranty. We've had a few go through buy back but from memory i'd say it's less than 5. Also let's not forget BMW and Audi don't do great in JD Power, it's been dominated by Japanese cars for 20 or so years :) Myself I have a Q4, had it a year, few track days and ZERO issues.

These as you know are brand new models and shouldn't inherit Alfa's past reputation, it's a total redesign, so I think it was wise for you to come here and ask rather than rely on bias publications or people that think they know what they're talking about but have never set foot in one. I think if you want to stand out and have a highly rated (review wise) car which will sell itself when you test drive it, you'll end up with the Alfa. I came from JDM cars and very happy with the quality.

Good luck in your hunt!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
8400 miles 0 issues on my March 2017 build car that has yet to get any software updates, common sense solves a lot of 'problems' the journalists report ... vast majority here does not have any real problems with the car ... as stated above, there will always be bad apples, that's why lemon laws exist (use them if you need to!)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
1500 miles on my 2018 QV and it has been ecstasy....... don't listen to the BMW guys, they are just jealous......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Certainly many encouraging posts and I thank you all. I test drove a Giulia this morning and it blew away the BMW I test drove yesterday. Talked to the service manager at the dealer and he said that Giulia is no worse than any other new cars our there, but I'm sure it comes from a biased opinion. But it was another source of information. The dealer is only two miles away from my house, so there is that. Seriously considering getting one.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Leasing, as I did, rather than buying, is another way of managing risk and uncertainty.

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q2
213 Posts
Have you consider renting one for a couple of days? I also believe dealers are an issue, and when there is a problem with the car, there is a potential long wait for a repair. For example, tomorrow will be day six for me waiting for a new battery.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am a few weeks into my loaded RWD 2018 Ti Sport. I previously had an F10 M5. Aside from the massive HP difference, I love the Alfa more than the M5. The Alfa drives like the BMWs of the past. It’s the perfect blend of power, tq, and chassis. It makes me want to take a corner faster whereas the M5 got scary a limit because 500 lb ft of torque was on tap all the time. “

While I would have loved a QV, having a newborn changed my spending priorities. Yes, this Alfa has some quirks but I’ve been very happy granted I only have about 500 miles on her because the new baby makes driving anywhere pretty low right now on the list. I did a 3 year lease because I also had some worries but from reading this forum it appears a lot of the 2017 issues were software and have been fixed. A lease also means if the experience is terrible, it’s not my problem in a few years and since Alfa does loaners, I won’t be stuck in a rental if I do have issues. If I find myself trouble free and still in love, I’ll buy it off the lease. It will have cost me almost the same (I got a good money factor) but I’ll do that to know the history of the car if I want to own it.

My car said Apple Car Play wired on the sticker and much to my delight, it was active when I plugged my iPhone X. As for the rest of the infotainment feedback, I don’t see what the big gripes are. It’s really not as bad as people have said once you figure it all out. I’ve dealt with infotainment systems from honda, Audi, BMW, Chevrolet, Infiniti, Jeep, Ford, and Mazda is my past cars. They have all their issues. Of those, the UConnect in Jeep of all brands, is THE BEST. Really wish Alfa stole from that parts bin...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
January 2017 build, July 2017 purchase, now right at 10,000 miles. During the update process to clear all the early RRT’s (Rapid Response Transmittal, FCA’s internal network for fixes just short of recalls), I was in a loaner Giulia for all of 4 days. During two other visits, I had a loaner Giulia or Stelvio for less than a day each.

There have been no issues that have required dealer repairs, other than the glove box door replacement RRT. There have been no new RRT’s (for my car) since October, 2017. My dealer has been pretty good, and in my opinion, this should be your concern. A competent to good dealer will make Giulia ownership pretty easy, a bad dealer could ruin it. I suggest asking for dealer feedback for your area here, and while it won’t be perfect, it will be useful.

As for comparing to a BMW or Audi and suggesting they are more reliable, I laughed. Almost all new cars are terribly reliable now, and even the “problem” brands have levels of defects that are below those of Lexus 10-15 years ago. The interface between the driver and the car is where most new owners have complaints now, and most brands have some annoyances these days.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also have a 2018 TI and 100% agree. Every moment behind the wheel is a blast!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My dealer has been pretty good, and in my opinion, this should be your concern. A competent to good dealer will make Giulia ownership pretty easy, a bad dealer could ruin it. I suggest asking for dealer feedback for your area here, and while it won’t be perfect, it will be useful.
Thanks for the suggestion on the dealer. I spoke to a service manager when I went for the test drive yesterday. He seemed knowledgeable and competent. They have two service reps and four technicians at the dealer. This dealer also serves Fiat and Maseratti. I will see there are any ratings for the dealer and the service department.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
I am one that has currently a variety of issues with a 4/2017 built Giulia to the point where even Alfa is looking to potentially to replace the car. That is the bad news. With the said, I would go for 2018 model and once you drive one, you are sold. yeah, you can get a BMW or Audi or some sort, but you win nothing with it. Driving a Giulia makes you you smile every time you get in. Numerous people have said they are making excuses to go to the store, just to drive it.

In simple words; go drive one, and you come home with one. Most Giulias have no issues, and if my car will be replaced, I will gladly pick another Giulia.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am one that has currently a variety of issues with a 4/2017 built Giulia to the point where even Alfa is looking to potentially to replace the car. That is the bad news. With the said, I would go for 2018 model and once you drive one, you are sold. yeah, you can get a BMW or Audi or some sort, but you win nothing with it. Driving a Giulia makes you you smile every time you get in. Numerous people have said they are making excuses to go to the store, just to drive it.

In simple words; go drive one, and you come home with one. Most Giulias have no issues, and if my car will be replaced, I will gladly pick another Giulia.
Sorry to hear that. Looks like the dealer near my house has 4 out of 5 star rating on average, whatever that is worth ...

The biggest functional issue I have with Giulia is that the trunk is not big enough to hold even one golf bag without having to fold the back seat. This is actually big issue for me as I keep my golf bag in the car at least 9 out of 12 month a year. :frown2::frown2::frown2:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts