Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Not a bad car at all. I got the best deal ever last June, brand new old stock 2018 sport Q4 20k off MSRP for $29,168. Had to fly out and drive it home, but it gave me the chance to break it in and learn the car.

Dealers had extra stock (people weren’t buying with Covid being an uncertain thing at the time) and slashed prices. Now, they’ve built less cars due to Covid affecting production so the demand is higher than supply. The price you’re getting in today’s market is a steal.
That's awesome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks, but I wanted to know what specific dealer @PostLife was using since I’m in the same area.
Hey Wingler, just checked my invoice and it was $84 bucks at Leith Alfa for just the oil and filter, so that’s my bad. Thanks for making me take a second look. I had a ton of stuff done and I didn’t realize they also added a half hour of labor. That puts it at $160 which is high for sure!

I wouldn’t have shopped around to save 80 bucks considering the free alignment and rental car (I blew up a tire and bent two wheels, got her a full maintenance update at the time) but let me know if you’re finding a better deal on oil changes. Also wasn’t confident anyone else could reset the 10k maintenance notice.

Going to stalk your account and see if you’re the volcanic black Alfa I see riding around haha.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Hey Wingler, just checked my invoice and it was $84 bucks at Leith Alfa for just the oil and filter, so that’s my bad. Thanks for making me take a second look. I had a ton of stuff done and I didn’t realize they also added a half hour of labor. That puts it at $160 which is high for sure!

I wouldn’t have shopped around to save 80 bucks considering the free alignment and rental car (I blew up a tire and bent two wheels, got her a full maintenance update at the time) but let me know if you’re finding a better deal on oil changes. Also wasn’t confident anyone else could reset the 10k maintenance notice.

Going to stalk your account and see if you’re the volcanic black Alfa I see riding around haha.
Hey, thanks for checking. I’m 5 miles from Johnson Alfa/Maserati in Cary. Their oil change is $123 ($73 parts and $50 labor), brake fluid flush $180, tire rotation $50.

I’m not the black Alfa. I just traded my 2017 Montecarlo Blue Ti Lusso with 15k mikes for a new 2021. My old car is for sale at Leith now. This is what I just picked up, a Ti in Visconti Verde —

Reactions: Jejacks

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Q4
32 Posts
I love this car. It honestly checks all of my boxes. looks incredible, has just enough power for my liking but not to much. AWD, nice interior color options. ext.
Iv never owned an exotic car like this before and I have some questions regarding the reliability of these cars. Im looking at a used one with between 5 and 10k miles on year 2019. Id most likely keep the car for about 3 years or so. I only drive about 50 miles a week so I would not be putting a lot of miles on it. I can defiantly afford the car. But should i be concerned about maintenance costs on these cars? Also would a car like this make my insurance increase by a significant amount?. This is my practical dream car and i want to have as much knowledge about the car as i can before i buy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
These cars are well worth it for the money, where ever you get it though the warranty is a must have (not necessarily for problems, but if one was to occur one repair cost ALOT of money), but I love my alfa. I pay 100 flat a month for insurance on a black 2020 Gulia TI Q4. Its a great call and AMAZING CHOICE for the money. (If you live in NY or a state with snow like I do get AWD you will not regret it!)

·
Vendor
112 Posts
Thanks for all the reply's. This gives me a much better idea of what to expect. It does not seam as expensive as I first thought. This is the car im looking at and test driving this weekend.

Might be late to the party, but definitely look into CPO vehicles if you're looking to be worry free. The CPO program gives you a 5 year/ 100K mile warranty.

-Yes I'm holding the factory line, but it's a solid choice and...
--If you buy from the right dealer (no bias cough, cough) it shouldn't cost you much more than other options. I did resist a shameless plug with a link to our website.

Best of luck with your search!

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Might be late to the party, but definitely look into CPO vehicles if you're looking to be worry free. The CPO program gives you a 5 year/ 100K mile warranty.

-Yes I'm holding the factory line, but it's a solid choice and...
--If you buy from the right dealer (no bias cough, cough) it shouldn't cost you much more than other options. I did resist a shameless plug with a link to our website.

Best of luck with your search!
Is that 5 years one year in addition to the factory warranty, or 5 additional years?

·
Vendor
112 Posts
Is that 5 years one year in addition to the factory warranty, or 5 additional years?
One additional year. There are options for a 6/7yr (2/3 yr extension), but they are additional cost.

Reactions: wingler

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
I'm going back and forth with the salesman figuring out a deal via email. At first he only gave me 14,500 for my civic and after negotiating he upped it to 16k which is in the ballpark of what I wanted for it. I do want to push 16,500. But they won't budge with the price of the car. I was hoping for about 1200 off the car. I think that's reasonable but iv never bought an alpha before so I'm not totally sure. Iv been able to get at least some money off a used car in the past.

My appointment to test drive it is tomorrow and I'm excited to drive it. But I have to make sure the salesman doesn't pick up on that lol.

Internally I'll be like a kid in a candy store but on the outside I'll be like.. eh... it's alright....

On thing I learned when car shopping never fall in love with a car and never give the impression you love the car to the salesman. It's challenging with this one.

Alex.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Already from step one wrong approach. You don't buy Alfa Romeo with numbers - you buy it with your heart. 'cause it's soul and passion. It's your bella!!! It's the biggest financial mistake you'll do in your life and you'll want more :D

...and even when it'll break down somewhere in the middle of nowhere and you'll be sitting on roadside waiting for the help you'll look at her and tell yourself - "Damn!.. She looks good!"

There have never been better words said about owning an Alfa. I have owned all of mine out of desire and passion not for utility or reliability. That’s what trucks are for. I have owned a Milano, a 164L and am waiting for my new Giulia to be delivered next week. I sadly sold the Milano which I regret every day but I still have the 164L. Each of these cars broke down all the time but when they run it is pure enjoyment.

Then there is the whole aspect of working on them which I love. It goes a little like and abusive relationship. It starts out good you remove a timing belt tensioner and a water pump. Then a little blood and sweat comes out when you accidentally slip a wrench and bust a knuckle or have to reach into a dark hole to change a fuel line by feel only. Then the cursing, yelling, and negotiating begins when you can’t seem to start the car once you finished your maintenance. After a cool off period the make up and apologies happen, you finally realize that your fuel pump relay is on the fritz so you knock it with a screwdriver handle and viola the car starts. After it all you realize your still in love and the next six months are great. If my Giulia ownership experience goes this same way I will love her for her whole life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Just to update this thread I test drove the alfa and while it was very very nice. It was not the right car for me. At least for now. The ride was far stiffer then I expected. The car is extremely solid.The roads where I live are absolute garbage. Potholes everywhere waiting to bend your nice rims. This cars ride is so stiff that it's a strong worry that could happen. The other thing I didn't like was the Rev hang in normal and dynamic mode. I understand it in dynamic mode but I feel it's a bit extreme with the Rev hang in normal mode. A 2 second 80% throttle imput then you let off the gas and your still at 5k rpm and very slowly dropping. Also I felt the acceleration wasn't what I expected. I was expecting more considering the sub 5 second 0-60 times. However the best part about the giulia was the steering. This car has the best steering iv ever felt. It's extremely precise. Very tight nimble steering. Makes everything else feel num. I just could not get use to how stiff the ride was.

At the end of the day I went with the 2021 Accord Sport 2.0T with 10 speed auto in sonic gray pearl as I got a very very good deal on it because the same dealer messed up the carfax on my 2017 civic. They recorded the wrong Odometer readings twice in two visits 3 months apart. I never caught the mistake when it happened. It was a good reality check to always check everything and make sure it's correct. Can't trust anyone. I went to a different dealership before the one I got the car from and they made a huge deal about the carfax and accused me of having the Odometer rolled back. They went on saying it would take 9 months to fix and that we should take the deal as no one will want your car. They offered 12k for my civic. We laughed and left. Contacted Martian Honda where I serviced my civic and they took full blame. They said it was no big deal as it was only a service record. It can easily be fixed. It would of been an issue if it was an odomiter issue with a state inspection report. So they gave me 17,500 for my civic and $2500 off a new accord after some negotiations with 1.9% apr.

Overall I love the accord. It drives super smooth and soaks up bumps very well despite the low profile tires. Feels just as fast as the giulia even though it's not as fast looking at the numbers. The 10 speed auto is a thing of beauty. Shifts much faster and seamless then the giulia. The downside is the steering. Its not nearly as good as the giulia. Giulia is definitely more nimble. But I feel like a make a good choice. Maybe after this car when I get a house and room to work on a car then maybe an alfa might go higher on the list again.

BTW thanks everyone for answering my questions regarding the Giulia. This is a great community you have here.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just to update this thread I test drove the alfa and while it was very very nice. It was not the right car for me. At least for now. The ride was far stiffer then I expected. The car is extremely solid.The roads where I live are absolute garbage. Potholes everywhere waiting to bend your nice rims. This cars ride is so stiff that it's a strong worry that could happen. The other thing I didn't like was the Rev hang in normal and dynamic mode. I understand it in dynamic mode but I feel it's a bit extreme with the Rev hang in normal mode. A 2 second 80% throttle imput then you let off the gas and your still at 5k rpm and very slowly dropping. Also I felt the acceleration wasn't what I expected. I was expecting more considering the sub 5 second 0-60 times. However the best part about the giulia was the steering. This car has the best steering iv ever felt. It's extremely precise. Very tight nimble steering. Makes everything else feel num. I just could not get use to how stiff the ride was.

At the end of the day I went with the 2021 Accord Sport 2.0T with 10 speed auto in sonic gray pearl as I got a very very good deal on it because the same dealer messed up the carfax on my 2017 civic. They recorded the wrong Odometer readings twice in two visits 3 months apart. I never caught the mistake when it happened. It was a good reality check to always check everything and make sure it's correct. Can't trust anyone. I went to a different dealership before the one I got the car from and they made a huge deal about the carfax and accused me of having the Odometer rolled back. They went on saying it would take 9 months to fix and that we should take the deal as no one will want your car. They offered 12k for my civic. We laughed and left. Contacted Martian Honda where I serviced my civic and they took full blame. They said it was no big deal as it was only a service record. It can easily be fixed. It would of been an issue if it was an odomiter issue with a state inspection report. So they gave me 17,500 for my civic and $2500 off a new accord after some negotiations with 1.9% apr.

Overall I love the accord. It drives super smooth and soaks up bumps very well despite the low profile tires. Feels just as fast as the giulia even though it's not as fast looking at the numbers. The 10 speed auto is a thing of beauty. Shifts much faster and seamless then the giulia. The downside is the steering. Its not nearly as good as the giulia. Giulia is definitely more nimble. But I feel like a make a good choice. Maybe after this car when I get a house and room to work on a car then maybe an alfa might go higher on the list again.

BTW thanks everyone for answering my questions regarding the Giulia. This is a great community you have here.
Nothing wrong with an Accord!
I had a 2000 coupe with the 3.0 , with some simple mods it was a very quick car the person I sold it to still has it 12 years later with over 250k on the odometer.
It’s still her daily driver and the only major service was a water pump in 2018. Good Luck

·
Registered
44 Posts

You made the right choice. I drove the Guila and Accord Sport 2.0 back to back and the Accord was very unimpressive IMO. I didn't hate it, but I found it utterly forgettable. Nothing sporty about it. Just a nice family sedan. It sounds like it was the right car for you. Great job in reaching that conclusion before buying anything. A lot of people don't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
You made the right choice. I drove the Guila and Accord Sport 2.0 back to back and the Accord was very unimpressive IMO. I didn't hate it, but I found it utterly forgettable. Nothing sporty about it. Just a nice family sedan. It sounds like it was the right car for you. Great job in reaching that conclusion before buying anything. A lot of people don't.
Your 100% correct. It's definitely not sporty. Its comfortable and has a very smooth ride. Steering is a little numb but I think more sporty tires could help it slightly. It's very easy to drive. Soaks up bumps very very well. It's a nice sedan that is impressively quick when you put your foot down.

But the giuila is a different leugue. The steering is incredibly precise and the transmission drives much sportier staying at the higher revs when you let off the gas. I can't comment on which one felt faster because with the 2.0t giulia had both my parents in the car and when I floored it I was going uphill at about 15 degrees. When I test drove the accord I floored it up hill as well at more like 10 degrees but it was only me in the car. The accord pushed me farther into the seat but I didn't give the guilia a fair chance. The accord did kick down faster then the giulia in my tests when I punched it. I did like that about the accord.

Also for me since I had the civic sport touring I had a K-tuner V2.1 so I can just use that for my accord after I put a few 1000 miles on it. These accords use the Type r engine that just has a slightly smaller turbo. Stock whp is 238 and torque is 269 lb ft. So crank numbers are more like 280 hp and 310 torque according to many dyno tests iv watched. The engine is under-rated by honda. Since it's a detuned type r moter with a 10 speed auto a simple tune can get this to over 300 hp and 350± lb ft or torque. This car has a lot of head room to add more power.

With my civic I did the stage 2 tune. I was pushing 230 wheel torque and 201 whp on the CVT transmission. It took it like a champ. Never had an issue and put 18k miles on the car with the tune. The cvt In that car is actually quit impressive. Leagues ahead of the cvt from Subaru and Nissan. I was getting 0-60 times under 6 seconds consistently. Stock I would get 6.7 seconds. I was easily keeping up with V6 accords. Not bad for a 1.5L engine. It was still a cvt though at the end of the day so roll races are terrible and so are digs. But with tune that cvt civic is faster then a stock 10th gen Si. The manual really holds back that car. The catastrophic amount of Rev hang being one reason.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your 100% correct. It's definitely not sporty. Its comfortable and has a very smooth ride. Steering is a little numb but I think more sporty tires could help it slightly. It's very easy to drive. Soaks up bumps very very well. It's a nice sedan that is impressively quick when you put your foot down.

But the giuila is a different leugue. The steering is incredibly precise and the transmission drives much sportier staying at the higher revs when you let off the gas. I can't comment on which one felt faster because with the 2.0t giulia had both my parents in the car and when I floored it I was going uphill at about 15 degrees. When I test drove the accord I floored it up hill as well at more like 10 degrees but it was only me in the car. The accord pushed me farther into the seat but I didn't give the guilia a fair chance. The accord did kick down faster then the giulia in my tests when I punched it. I did like that about the accord.

Also for me since I had the civic sport touring I had a K-tuner V2.1 so I can just use that for my accord after I put a few 1000 miles on it. These accords use the Type r engine that just has a slightly smaller turbo. Stock whp is 238 and torque is 269 lb ft. So crank numbers are more like 280 hp and 310 torque according to many dyno tests iv watched. The engine is under-rated by honda. Since it's a detuned type r moter with a 10 speed auto a simple tune can get this to over 300 hp and 350± lb ft or torque. This car has a lot of head room to add more power.

With my civic I did the stage 2 tune. I was pushing 230 wheel torque and 201 whp on the CVT transmission. It took it like a champ. Never had an issue and put 18k miles on the car with the tune. The cvt In that car is actually quit impressive. Leagues ahead of the cvt from Subaru and Nissan. I was getting 0-60 times under 6 seconds consistently. Stock I would get 6.7 seconds. I was easily keeping up with V6 accords. Not bad for a 1.5L engine. It was still a cvt though at the end of the day so roll races are terrible and so are digs. But with tune that cvt civic is faster then a stock 10th gen Si. The manual really holds back that car. The catastrophic amount of Rev hang being one reason.
To be honest, I would hate to think about driving a FWD car with 300+ HP with an open dif. I wouldn't want a RWD car with that power and an open dif. By most/all accounts, torque steer is tame in the Accord, but I have serious reservations about that car's ability to put the power down. Better tires will certainly help though.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts