Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this car. It honestly checks all of my boxes. looks incredible, has just enough power for my liking but not to much. AWD, nice interior color options. ext.
Iv never owned an exotic car like this before and I have some questions regarding the reliability of these cars. Im looking at a used one with between 5 and 10k miles on year 2019. Id most likely keep the car for about 3 years or so. I only drive about 50 miles a week so I would not be putting a lot of miles on it. I can defiantly afford the car. But should i be concerned about maintenance costs on these cars? Also would a car like this make my insurance increase by a significant amount?. This is my practical dream car and i want to have as much knowledge about the car as i can before i buy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My insurance actually went down coming from a BMW 335 , The car comes with a 50,000 mile warranty so that should cover anything major during your tenure of ownership Oil changes can be quite expensive as I seen cost quoted on this board of around $300 I think some dealerships offer the 10,000 mile first service for free, also I would recommend a 2020 over a 19 Mostly just because of the updated interior and infotainment

·
Registered
105 Posts
Cars, by their very nature, are a waste of money. The purchase price is just the start. Insurance, maintenance, title and registration, and the biggest one...depreciation all add up to drain a bank account.

That said, if the car is purely a means of mode of transportation, buy a used Corolla. Any "dream" car needs to be framed as spending money for enjoyment, like going on vacation. To try and put it into practical terms is only fooling yourself.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I love this car. It honestly checks all of my boxes. looks incredible, has just enough power for my liking but not to much. AWD, nice interior color options. ext.
Iv never owned an exotic car like this before and I have some questions regarding the reliability of these cars. Im looking at a used one with between 5 and 10k miles on year 2019. Id most likely keep the car for about 3 years or so. I only drive about 50 miles a week so I would not be putting a lot of miles on it. I can defiantly afford the car. But should i be concerned about maintenance costs on these cars? Also would a car like this make my insurance increase by a significant amount?. This is my practical dream car and i want to have as much knowledge about the car as i can before i buy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
If you buy a 2019 with reasonable mileage you’ll still have a couple of years warranty to cover any issues. If you plan to keep it longer you can buy an extended MOPAR warranty from one of the online dealers for not a lot of money.

Here is one website for quotes:

Maintenance costs are in line with BMW, Audi etc. Here is a guide:

Insurance costs are also in line with BMW and Audi of similar value. No change in cost for me from the Audi A4 I traded. Call your insurance company and ask.

·
Registered
2019 TI Sport RWD Vesuvio Grey
31 Posts
My .02

European cars are more expensive to maintain, period. If you're looking for Lexus reliability, best to move on. If you love to drive, and you don't mind spending the money to get the drive you want, then buy the car and don't look back.

·
Registered
300 Posts
It’s a FCA product with a Jeep motor... it’s not really that exotic and far less European than one would think. As for costs, with a warranty, you won’t have to worry about repairs for a while. Insurance is relatively cheap (my daily driver VW costs more) and fuel economy is very good when you want it to be. Also, these cars depreciate fairly quick considering the lack of brand awareness... this makes a used one very affordable.

I say all of this from my perspective of being a financial advisor (CFP and CRPC). I love cars but don’t like spending money in general. The 2.0 Giulia is one of the best all around performance deals you can find at this price level.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the reply's. This gives me a much better idea of what to expect. It does not seam as expensive as I first thought. This is the car im looking at and test driving this weekend.

·
Registered
161 Posts
As I’ve mentioned before and other members have too, the local dodge dealership does oil changes on the 2.0 for 70$

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Thanks for all the reply's. This gives me a much better idea of what to expect. It does not seam as expensive as I first thought. This is the car im looking at and test driving this weekend.

Here is the window sticker for that car in case you have not seen it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Maintenance and insurance are both less than my prior Stinger which needed oil every 5k miles. Honestly, the most annoying thing is the limited wheel aftermarket choices! Oil changes are about 80 bucks at my local dealer in Raleigh, brake fluid was about 100, the 40K accessory belt (got this done early) was like 150 I think. I’ll throw my own plugs in at some point. I consider that very affordable after a VW that needed 400 dollar DSG service. The maintenance schedule is really reasonable for the 2.0L.

To the point earlier, it shares much of the engine platform with the wrangler even though it’s still going to require unique parts. There’s not exactly a lot of super exotic engine technology going on here.

Consider the cost of dealer visits, traveling adds up and your time has value. Larger warranty issues are going to ship from Italy and require two visits (my dashboard for example).

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Maintenance and insurance are both less than my prior Stinger which needed oil every 5k miles. Honestly, the most annoying thing is the limited wheel aftermarket choices! Oil changes are about 80 bucks at my local dealer in Raleigh, brake fluid was about 100, the 40K accessory belt (got this done early) was like 150 I think. I’ll throw my own plugs in at some point. I consider that very affordable after a VW that needed 400 dollar DSG service. The maintenance schedule is really reasonable for the 2.0L.

To the point earlier, it shares much of the engine platform with the wrangler even though it’s still going to require unique parts. There’s not exactly a lot of super exotic engine technology going on here.

Consider the cost of dealer visits, traveling adds up and your time has value. Larger warranty issues are going to ship from Italy and require two visits (my dashboard for example).
Which dealer for $80 oil change?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cars, by their very nature, are a waste of money. The purchase price is just the start. Insurance, maintenance, title and registration, and the biggest one...depreciation all add up to drain a bank account.

That said, if the car is purely a means of mode of transportation, buy a used Corolla. Any "dream" car needs to be framed as spending money for enjoyment, like going on vacation. To try and put it into practical terms is only fooling yourself.

Hope this helps.
I guess practical wasn't the right word. I guess i could say affordable daily dream car that covers the transportation and enjoyment aspects in one car. This car seams like a great cruiser in comfort mode and nice and sporty in dynamic mode from all the videos i watched. My actual dream car is a Lamborghini Aventador SVJ. Such a violent raw visceral driving experience.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Already from step one wrong approach. You don't buy Alfa Romeo with numbers - you buy it with your heart. 'cause it's soul and passion. It's your bella!!! It's the biggest financial mistake you'll do in your life and you'll want more :D

...and even when it'll break down somewhere in the middle of nowhere and you'll be sitting on roadside waiting for the help you'll look at her and tell yourself - "Damn!.. She looks good!"

·
Registered
105 Posts
I completely agree.

Strangers in parking lots will not compliment a car because it got a good rating from consumer reports.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia TI Sport Carbon Q2
1 Posts
Speaking from my experience (also a ‘19 with about 5k miles on it), i’ve had zero issues. The only maintenance costs I’ve had is a few oil changes (~$280 CAD each) and my insurance was lower than my Honda Civic

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Same for me. Insurance went down slightly from my Audi.

Oil changes i do myself. They're cheap. Any SN Plus 0w30 and a mopar filter.

Brake pads wear quickly but you can get replacements for 50 bucks a pair. Very easy change.

Otherwise no issues at all other than replacement of a battery because the car sat on the dealer lot fir 9 months.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Got a new 2018 ti in 2019. It has about 7k miles without any issues at all. Liked that so much I got a quad last June. That has also been trouble free. You'll be fine. Send us loads of photos when you get it. Cheers.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Q4
416 Posts
You’ll definitely derive it more than 50 miles a week once you own it. You’ll want to be behind the wheel any chance you get.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Q4
416 Posts

Not a bad car at all. I got the best deal ever last June, brand new old stock 2018 sport Q4 20k off MSRP for $29,168. Had to fly out and drive it home, but it gave me the chance to break it in and learn the car.

Dealers had extra stock (people weren’t buying with Covid being an uncertain thing at the time) and slashed prices. Now, they’ve built less cars due to Covid affecting production so the demand is higher than supply. The price you’re getting in today’s market is a steal.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts