Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
A bit strange... that article discusses covers a base Giulia with sport package and red leather, but the title is: 2017 ALFA ROMEO GIULIA (QUADRIFOGLIO) FIRST TEST: TWO OUTTA THREE? and all the pics are of a blue QV.

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
A 0-60 time of 5.1 is really fast. Just don't expect to see that on your own stopwatch. Motortrend publishes performance numbers that are adjusted mathematically to specific atmospheric conditions. That way the numbers of a Giulia tested in February can be realistically compared to the numbers from an Audi tested in July. They also typically use an abusive launch technique and take the best of multiple runs. I would suspect most actual users will see 5.5-5.9.

So that 5.1 is great for comparisons to other cars they have tested, and the Giulia seems to fare very well in this regard. I am really happy about that, I feel that the 2.0 liter Giulia is the car that can really put Alfa back on the map and in people's driveways. Winning in the stop light grand prix won't hurt.

Greg

·
Premium Member
840 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Looks like MT has fixed the 2 biggest errors.
  • Correctly replaced Quadrifolglio with 2.0 in the article title (link is the same)
  • Pictures are now of a Base Giulia

One new thing I noticed was the Real MPG they achieved:
  • 28.2/37.9/31.8 mpg
Significantly better than EPA estimates of 24/33/27
(though they do note this was a pro-production model)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I wonder if the Sports Pkg + 19 x 9.0 wheels (F 225, R 265) would help the handling stats?
The way I read it, it was due to stability control intervention and not being able to disable or partially disable it.

So, it affects the stats, but did not affect real-world driving:
Testing director Kim Reynolds reported that it was difficult to enter or leave the curves on the figure eight without inciting either lift-throttle or throttle-on oversteer, both of which prompted aggressive, lap-time-killing stability-control intervention. The resulting 26.8-second lap at 0.67 average g ranks below all the obvious competitors, as does the max lateral grip of 0.84 g. And none of those stats jibe with what you’ll experience at the wheel. Plying real-world roads with all systems engaged, few drivers reported any stability meddling, and nearly everyone who thrashed the Giulia agreed that its neutral balance and poise make it the best-driving sedan in the class. Several also praised its ride quality as approaching that of class leaders such as the Mercedes-Benz C-Class.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The way I read it, it was due to stability control intervention and not being able to disable or partially disable it.

So, it affects the stats, but did not affect real-world driving:
If the car has the run flat tires, that would also give worse results than getting proper grip tires

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Too bad you can't completely turn off the stability control.........wonder if that will change in the future.
If I drive a Q4 am I able to force it RWD (as it's RWD 100% of the time normally anyway unless slip detected) to override it? Let's say I want to slide around in a parking lot in the snow, and I don't want it to send power to the front wheels, is this possible? Maybe a dumb question, thanks in advance :smile2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
If I drive a Q4 am I able to force it RWD (as it's RWD 100% of the time normally anyway unless slip detected) to override it? Let's say I want to slide around in a parking lot in the snow, and I don't want it to send power to the front wheels, is this possible? Maybe a dumb question, thanks in advance :smile2:
According to Alfa no you cannot force RWD. It will be the most aggressive in Dynamic.

We were lucky enough to get to drive the RWD and AWD through an Autocross course and I thought the AWD handled it better.... mainly because the RWD would try to induce some on throttle oversteer and active the Stability control...but with the AWD it wouldn't over-steer and allow you to power out of the corner better. Both cars were VERY good on the course!! Better than expected!

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
4,027 Posts
trouble is, once again, America is in a world all of its own LoL

there are going to be a lot of American articles referring to a "base" Giulia which, in ONLY your market, that refers to a 280hp 2.0L

in the rest of the world a base Giulia is 200hp 2.0L

oh, and can you guys get back on the left side of the road ?

calling it a base is going to confuse us Mexicans LoL

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
According to Alfa no you cannot force RWD. It will be the most aggressive in Dynamic.

We were lucky enough to get to drive the RWD and AWD through an Autocross course and I thought the AWD handled it better.... mainly because the RWD would try to induce some on throttle oversteer and active the Stability control...but with the AWD it wouldn't over-steer and allow you to power out of the corner better. Both cars were VERY good on the course!! Better than expected!
Fantastic! Autocross is something I have been wanting to try after a while of owning the Giulia!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts