Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Does anyone build these motors btw?

Ive blown up some motors in my day but you can get out the door under $10k for a domestic or Japanese short block with forged pistons and rods. I would think it shouldn’t be any more complicated for an Alfa other than finding someone to work on it.

Sure as hell ain’t paying the dealer for a complete new long block.
You could always try to buy a salvage Qv. Maybe save on a serious wrecked one wit a decent engine left. Still a gamble. I’ve seen full QV engines run $30k up to $43k. Dealer is high end. At that point you can get a used lemon one and save the headaches. But I agree someone has to work on it somewhere and you should be under $15k if you find right person.

·
Registered
2021 Giulia Quadrifoglio rosso competizione
26 Posts
Why did you have the compression test done in the beginning anyway? Was there a loss of power ?

I have had two of these cars and I never had any reason to tune them, especially the 2021. It makes more than enough power. Maybe I missed something, but is your car tuned?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Why did you have the compression test done in the beginning anyway? Was there a loss of power ?

I have had two of these cars and I never had any reason to tune them, especially the 2021. It makes more than enough power. Maybe I missed something, but is your car tuned?
Yes it’s been tuned since 5k miles. Just hit 30k.
I’ve had cylinder 3 misfire on startup almost since it was new. Wanted compression test for peace of mind since I was at dealer anyway. I usually keep a car 3-4 years and just passed 3 years with this one. Awesome car. Just dunno if it’s worth a potential big $ headache for my daily. I have a couple other fun cars on order. So I wouldn’t mind downgrading to a Golf R or something.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
You could always try to buy a salvage Qv. Maybe save on a serious wrecked one wit a decent engine left. Still a gamble. I’ve seen full QV engines run $30k up to $43k. Dealer is high end. At that point you can get a used lemon one and save the headaches. But I agree someone has to work on it somewhere and you should be under $15k if you find right person.
Need to go ask my local machine shop. Custom pistons, custom rods, sleeves all shouldn’t be expensive as long as the stock block and crank are good. Other than Italian tax.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
450 Posts
100 is low, no two ways about it. If I compression tested my race car and found some cylinders at 100 I would be preparing to at least change a head gasket, if not more. If it was well before a race weekend the motor would already be apart. Now that said my motors cost WAY less than this one. I think a leakdown test is in order. If those 2 still look bad then, maybe run it till it blows up (knowing that it will sooner or later), because TBH its probably cheaper to replace the motor than rebuild it (unless you want to rebuild it and go big power of course).

Reactions: kumar_a

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,440 Posts
Yes it’s been tuned since 5k miles. Just hit 30k.
I’ve had cylinder 3 misfire on startup almost since it was new. Wanted compression test for peace of mind since I was at dealer anyway. I usually keep a car 3-4 years and just passed 3 years with this one. Awesome car. Just dunno if it’s worth a potential big $ headache for my daily. I have a couple other fun cars on order. So I wouldn’t mind downgrading to a Golf R or something.
What do you have on order

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,746 Posts
They should, but as you lose oil pressure in the deactivation system, build heat in cylinder walls, lose oil coating on the cylinder walls and lose cranking voltage, this can all cause a loss by the time you get through all of the cylinders. If I was to guess, 1 and 2 may have been the last, or first, tested. See if the dealership has a Pico scope(they shipped them to all Mopar dealers) and have them do a power balance test, it'll show differences in cylinder speeds so you can identify if one or two really have low compression.
Why would you lose oil pressure due to cylinder deactivation? Certainly loss of battery power during the measurement process will skew the results. I've always done compression tests on a stone cold engine so that temperature changes should be minimal.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
@Beta Romeo , are we looking for variation in exhaust pulse pressures using a pressure transducer and a pico scope? One thing I want to do ASAP is get the Squadra Tune to switch off cylinder deactivation permanently don't really want more power, in the hope that it can only help with longevity of the engine. Also not a big fan of crankcase oil vapor recirculation going to one side.

If it was my engine, having done a compression test, assuming it has been done correctly (worth repeating?), I would certainly want to investigate the reason for high variation between cylinders.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here's my take: Put car in race mode to ensure all cylinders are activated and drive for 20 miles before parking it and doing a compression and leak down test. Unless the car is burning oil, misfiring, etc, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
414 Posts
@Beta Romeo , are we looking for variation in exhaust pulse pressures using a pressure transducer and a pico scope? One thing I want to do ASAP is get the Squadra Tune to switch off cylinder deactivation permanently don't really want more power, in the hope that it can only help with longevity of the engine. Also not a big fan of crankcase oil vapor recirculation going to one side.

If it was my engine, having done a compression test, assuming it has been done correctly (worth repeating?), I would certainly want to investigate the reason for high variation between cylinders.
We're looking for roughly equal cylinder speeds. If you have a couple of cylinders running fast during their compression strokes, it can indicate low compression. It's a surprisingly accurate test. I think Pico refers to it as a "relative compression test".

I mean, they could all have low compression and that would show a good result... which would be funny, and totally misleading.

I'll have to check if our Pico comes with a pressure transducer, I don't believe it does. That's a cool tool for individual cylinder issues to find out where in the compression cycle you're having an issue, but you first want an accurate report showing that you indeed have an issue with the cylinders in question before you go chasing your tail.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,746 Posts
We're looking for roughly equal cylinder speeds. If you have a couple of cylinders running fast during their compression strokes, it can indicate low compression. It's a surprisingly accurate test. I think Pico refers to it as a "relative compression test".

I mean, they could all have low compression and that would show a good result... which would be funny, and totally misleading.

I'll have to check if our Pico comes with a pressure transducer, I don't believe it does. That's a cool tool for individual cylinder issues to find out where in the compression cycle you're having an issue, but you first want an accurate report showing that you indeed have an issue with the cylinders in question before you go chasing your tail.
How do you determine which cylinder is cranking at what rate? Pull all the plugs except one, then use some instrument to measure the crank speed during the compression stroke? Try to guess by ear?

Enlighten me: what is Pico?

IMO the OP got low-ish numbers for all cylinders.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Here is some data for you.

Rectangle Slope Line Font Parallel

I trust this shop a lot and feel their dyno numbers are very accurate. But as others have stated cars can read different dyno numbers for tons of reasons. This was with about 85 degree weather and overall DA of about 2300.

My 60-130 is about 7.7 (4 AM so very damp roads. Broke traction shifting into third or it would have been a little lower. If you are just tuned for pump gas I would say anything around high 7s low 8s like Phil said is making normal power. Depending on DA. Traction is by far my biggest issue at this point in time but I have got my 0-60 down to 3.11.

I was getting so frustrated on my 60-130 pulls because they would be around 8 seconds and Phil has posted a 7.29. Until I checked a few things. He ran his in 53 degree weather with literally a NEGATIVE -1511. The other guy who holds the number 2 spot. Same story. Low temps and good DA.

Edit: I should add that where I live it is hot and humid as hell. We are lucky to have a DA of around 2500. Most of the time its over 3k. Damn South East US.

I cannot stress enough how bad the DA can impact this engine. Twin turboed and bad DA... it loses a ton of power.

I do not know where you live but if you can do it with some cool weather and a decent DA. Under 1000 or better that should give you some good info. If you are pulling anything worse than low 8s with good DA then you for sure have some power loss. Assuming of course level ground. If it is high 7s or very low 8s then I would say you are good.

@Alfa Philly coming for that #1 60-130 spot when the weather cools down where I live ;) assuming of course the beast is not done by then. In which case I will not be anywhere close.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Here is some data for you.

View attachment 116363

I trust this shop a lot and feel their dyno numbers are very accurate. But as others have stated cars can read different dyno numbers for tons of reasons. This was with about 85 degree weather and overall DA of about 2300.

My 60-130 is about 7.7 (4 AM so very damp roads. Broke traction shifting into third or it would have been a little lower. If you are just tuned for pump gas I would say anything around high 7s low 8s like Phil said is making normal power. Depending on DA. Traction is by far my biggest issue at this point in time but I have got my 0-60 down to 3.11.

I was getting so frustrated on my 60-130 pulls because they would be around 8 seconds and Phil has posted a 7.29. Until I checked a few things. He ran his in 53 degree weather with literally a NEGATIVE -1511. The other guy who holds the number 2 spot. Same story. Low temps and good DA.

Edit: I should add that where I live it is hot and humid as hell. We are lucky to have a DA of around 2500. Most of the time its over 3k. Damn South East US.

I cannot stress enough how bad the DA can impact this engine. Twin turboed and bad DA... it loses a ton of power.

I do not know where you live but if you can do it with some cool weather and a decent DA. Under 1000 or better that should give you some good info. If you are pulling anything worse than low 8s with good DA then you for sure have some power loss. Assuming of course level ground. If it is high 7s or very low 8s then I would say you are good.

@Alfa Philly coming for that #1 60-130 spot when the weather cools down where I live ;) assuming of course the beast is not done by then. In which case I will not be anywhere close.
i hope you can get it. But the beast will be done by next weekend. Stock intake. Stock tires best chance at a low 7s 60-130. Toyo r888 are slow at higher speeds. Good luck

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
DA right now is around ~3500 here in Dallas. Supposed to be near ~1000 if I wake at 5am on Thursday. I ran a 7.7 before.

Got negative DA once but the car would just spin on the 2-3 shift. Kept running 8.3.

·
Registered
422 Posts
i hope you can get it. But the beast will be done by next weekend. Stock intake. Stock tires best chance at a low 7s 60-130. Toyo r888 are slow at higher speeds. Good luck
Yea about to change over to some regular street "performance" tires for the winter anyway. Glad to hear it about the car. I am super excited to see how it turns out. I will gladly take the number 2 spot in this case.

DA right now is around ~3500 here in Dallas. Supposed to be near ~1000 if I wake at 5am on Thursday. I ran a 7.7 before.

Got negative DA once but the car would just spin on the 2-3 shift. Kept running 8.3.
The struggles of living in our types of areas man... When I took it out at 4 am to try to make that pass it was the same. 2-3 shift I would just break every time. It is so early the moisture is still on the roads here. I am hoping that when it cools down here in the next few months I can get some decent runs in then. But before then I am just shit out of luck.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Dude that car is going to make some INSANE power up once you get it home. Nice cool temps and low humidity. Near sea level. The dream.

Shit it will make it down here also but cant wait to see what you put up on Draggy

21 - 40 of 56 Posts