Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched to non run flat tires and would like to carry a compact spare. Has anyone been able to piece together a combination of a wheel from some other manufacturer with spacers and/or adaptors to fit the G1ulia? There are plenty of spares out there with 5 x 110 bolt pattern. Also I would like to know if our wheels are lug-centric or hub-centric. My tire diameter is 26 inches, but I guess for an emergency spare that is not critical.

I would carry a ContiComfortKit from Tire Rack, but I believe that the injectable rubber compound could damage the TPMG. Anyone have experience with the kit?

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
I switched to non run flat tires and would like to carry a compact spare. Has anyone been able to piece together a combination of a wheel from some other manufacturer with spacers and/or adaptors to fit the G1ulia? There are plenty of spares out there with 5 x 110 bolt pattern. Also I would like to know if our wheels are lug-centric or hub-centric. My tire diameter is 26 inches, but I guess for an emergency spare that is not critical.

I would carry a ContiComfortKit from Tire Rack, but I believe that the injectable rubber compound could damage the TPMG. Anyone have experience with the kit?
Where would you put the spare tire? The trunk has no space for a spare tire let alone a way to have it secured to the chassis. You don't want a tire loose in your trunk in an event of an accident.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I had the dealer put non run flat (go flat?) tires on before I took delivery. I didn't like the idea of the injectable rubber stuff. I have gone for a tire plug kit and a small compressor. By taking the plug kit out of its nice carry case I have been able to get both it and the compressor into the tiny underfloor space in the trunk. Pulling the foam insert out confirmed Alfa Romeo have used the rest of the underfloor space. There definitely is no space under the floor for a space saver and I'm simply not prepared to give up the in trunk space. I have been fortunate and have driven both space savers and full size spares around for a couple of hundred thousand miles without ever needing one. Not saying I never will, I know that day will come but my current bet is its at least as likely to be a hole I can plug as something that has to be a spare to keep going.

On the plus side the Pilot Sport 4's are fabulous and I'm glad I'm not on run flats. I know that doesn't answer your question about what space saver will work.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I kept the factory Pirelli run flats on, but I'm not too crazy about them. They are more expensive and I believe the ride & handling are inferior to a conventional tire. I've had 3 flats in 44 years of driving and it's not likely I will have a flat in this particular car. But I carry a compressor and plug kit when I take long motorcycle rides and will go that route with the Giulia when these tires are replaced. No, I've never needed to plug a motorcycle tire (yet)...

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,727 Posts
The last time I needed a spare tire was 1982. I've had a couple of "flats" since then, but they were all slow leaks due to nails or screws. Please note that with LSD and/or AWD and/or traction control it is necessary to ensure that the wheels are all the same diameter. My Subaru has a full diameter spare; perhaps the last of a dying breed.

Conticomfort seems like the way to go. Yes, I might have to replace the tire and/or TPMS sensor after using it, but I don't see that as a big deal after factoring in the low chance of getting a blow out.

OTOH, a spare tire provides functionality that no run flat or repair kit can replicate. If the tire and/or rim are damaged by a road hazard such as a pot hole, only a spare tire is going to get the machine back on the road. For urban driving I am not too worried about it since I can always use my roadside assistance service, but in the mountains where cell phone service is non-existent it is a (potential) problem. I don't have a solution to this situation.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You know all this talk of not having a flat in such a such time is not good. I am a firm believer in not talking about things like that. I call if bad karma!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts