Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
+1 for electrical faults or glitches

I know many have had check engine lights, start/stop failure, and “transmission failure” lights pop up, including myself. For me, these went away when I restarted the car or left it for a bit.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
@Papa Gallo 4 responses to a single post? Feeling inadequate today?

You said "nobody has had a gearbox or a diff (audi) or a crankshaft drop on the road (mercedes) or complete engine failures (bmw) reported like what you would hear from what you may consider to be the so called more reliable brands, like ... i dunno, bmw, mercedes and audi ? "

This is simply not true, complete engine failures have been reported in the forums and differential failures (noise issues) have also been reported in the forums.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
2,213 Posts
@Papa Gallo 4 responses to a single post? Feeling inadequate today?

You said "nobody has had a gearbox or a diff (audi) or a crankshaft drop on the road (mercedes) or complete engine failures (bmw) reported like what you would hear from what you may consider to be the so called more reliable brands, like ... i dunno, bmw, mercedes and audi ? "

This is simply not true, complete engine failures have been reported in the forums and differential failures (noise issues) have also been reported in the forums.
nothing has dropped on the road like Mercedes (known recall for crankshafts) or engines completely seizing like BMW (metal shavings in the oil) do ... nor does quoting isolated incidents to prop up the mythical perception of your favoured German brands do you any favours in the credibilty stakes either when all we were asked for were common issues, ...

i stand by everything in that post as being correct, read the wording, i chose it carefully, and besides i dont believe we have had a Giulia diff or a crankshaft falling on the road, despite your being liberal with the facts, or an engine seize up to such an extent that we should all be worried

and complaining about 4 responses? well dont make 4 badly researched, irrelevant claims

i guess you have a new backside to choose from now :)

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
nothing has dropped on the road like Mercedes (known recall for crankshafts) or engines completely seizing like BMW (metal shavings in the oil) do ... nor does quoting isolated incidents to prop up the mythical perception of your favoured German brands do you any favours in the credibilty stakes either when all we were asked for were common issues, ...

i stand by everything in that post as being correct, read the wording, i chose it carefully, and besides i dont believe we have had a Giulia diff or a crankshaft falling on the road, despite your being liberal with the facts, or an engine seize up to such an extent that we should all be worried

and complaining about 4 responses? well dont make 4 badly researched, irrelevant claims

i guess you have a new backside to choose from now :)
No, "Nobody" means "nobody", not "hardly anybody". The fact is that one 2.0T had a complete engine melt down as reported in the forum and several other engines have been replaced with other issues and these are only the ones acknowledged in the forums. I DID NOT SAY if that was better or worse than Audi, BMW or Mercedes like you continue to claim that I said, I DID NOT SAY that German brands were in anyway good or favorable or favored by me (in fact, I despise Audi and have stated as much several times), I just stated the facts that you do not seem to be able to comprehend.

Everything that I referenced is recorded in the Giulia forums. I do not have time (literally days of work) to look them up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
disagree
3 Bathurst Unique Fuel Championships were won in a 159 2.4 diesel production car
The 159 contested the Bathurst 12 Hour race for production cars in 2007, 2009 and 2010. Competing with the 2.4 Litre JTDM diesel engine, it won the Alternative Energy Class in each of these three races.

the era was in reference to the myth that Alfa were unreliable when in fact they are no more or no less reliable than any other car
I stand corrected for no production cars in races. However...

2007 race results Alfa entrant is the only car in its G class (20th overall).
2009 race results 2 Alfa entries. It is the only car in the H class (25th overall), and only 1 of 2 cars in I class (32nd and last classified position).
2010 race results Alfa entrant is the only car in its F class (21st overall).

Not exactly stiff competition. And to pass that off as evidence of great reliability is laughably fanboy. And yes, I do mean "fanboy" not "alfista". We are all "alfista" here. But to be a "fanboy" is to be unreasonably biased for Alfa. Big difference.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello and Welcome future ex BMW owner. I was in the same boat with an E92 single turbo.

Anyways, what I will tell you the most common problem after having the Giulia Ti - it’s that you’ll want the QV!

The lack of nearby dealership is a real pita for warranty work. You can either drive to the dealer or have AR trailer the car (covered) but will take longer for work.

Haven’t had any major issues. Just swap stock pads and get rid of run flat tires and it has so much grip.

Chassis is fantastic

·
Registered
303 Posts
The bogeyman of Alfa reliability is a fallacy pure and simple. In real world terms there are really no bad modern cars. The kinds of problems that do occur in newer cars are all electrical and digital. Engines, chassis, transmissions and brakes tend to very reliable, and in many cases are common across several brands, like the ZF 8 speed transmission for example. The Alfa Giulia is a remarkable car for the money, especially in the area of intangibles - style, driving feel and dynamics, and simple ergonomic comfort. Treat it well and it will reward you with fun and utility, while not looking like a clone of every other sedan in the mid size world. It drives like a track car with very tight steering feel and goes exactly where you point it. The 2.0 engine in the US is way more than you need in city and suburban driving and it excels on freeways from a confidence and handling point of view. Anyone migrating from a German sedan or a Japanese Honda/Toyota?Mazda clone will be exhilarated by a Giulia.

Reactions: Papa Gallo

·
Registered
2 Posts
As much as I love Alfa Romeo, let's be fair here and stop being a biased fanboy. None of those championships used normal unmodified road-legal cars, and none recently at all. So all it means is that AR can make really good race cars at various points over its history. But that doesn't necessarily translate to normal road car reliability, so it's totally irrelevant.
32k on my giulia and no problems, must have the service done at the correct intervals at the dealer, a big duh on not doing that with these cars and other sports car

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Not exactly stiff competition. And to pass that off as evidence of great reliability is laughably fanboy. And yes, I do mean "fanboy" not "alfista". We are all "alfista" here. But to be a "fanboy" is to be unreasonably biased for Alfa. Big difference.
whilst you rely on third hand bullshit and no real world actual experience, i hand the actual facts back to you on a platter,
providing facts is not being anything other than being better equipped (in all aspects) than you,

and you want to introduce what? "great reliability" now? ... thats what is laughable champ, your desperation, ... thats a strawman right there
the fact that it finished all three 12 hour races is actually evidence of reliability, not be all and end all but enough to shut you up LOL
it is also evidence that you were wrong saying "none of them are production cars" which is what you based your entire premise about measured reliability on
the fact that you made bullshit uninformed statements in the first place and now want to double up on them with even more keyboard warrior derogatory bullshit after i was nothing but polite and reasonable to you even after you were proved wrong, and now want to introduce new words into the strawman argument of yours is exactly the sort of bullshit that we are trying to overcome,
statements like
I know Alfa haven't got the best reliability record

Not exactly stiff competition
i dont know what the fuck you are talking about but we (Alfista) are talking about RELIABILITY
:)

and if you want punctuation, it will cost you extra

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
As much as I love Alfa Romeo, let's be fair here and stop being a biased fanboy. None of those championships used normal unmodified road-legal cars, and none recently at all. So all it means is that AR can make really good race cars at various points over its history. But that doesn't necessarily translate to normal road car reliability, so it's totally irrelevant.
debunked bullshit
basing your premise on an ill informed mistake from which you draw a flawed conclusion

next round of dummy spit, toy out of pram, tantrum?

i say let it go champ, you were wrong

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I currently have a BMW M135i which I'm looking to change for a 2.0T Giulia Veloce.

Before I do this what are the common issues with the Giulias? I know Alfa haven't got the best reliability record so what should I look out for?

Also has anyone had a detachable towbar fitted, I'll need to tow a jet ski on the odd occasion (please don't roast me haha)
I would recommend the Giulia. Years ago I had a BMW M3 and it seems fairly similar to the Giulia but I like the Giulia more. I haven't had any issues with mine. I have a Maserati also and haven't had issues with it. I think the general perception with Italian car maintenance/reliability is much worse that it actually is with more current models. I also found the services I did at the dealers were great.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I will say my experience with this car has been fantastic. No issues that were from factory parts. This car goes against the whole “Italian cars are not reliable and are total junk” status quo that used to exist (and still does I guess) in our society. I would put money on that you would spend more out of warranty on the bimmer than you would on the alfa! It is a fantastic automobile and FCA really stepped their game up with this one. You will not be disappointed!

Reactions: Papa Gallo

·
Registered
637 Posts
I’m going to borrow the response I use on the Alfa Facebook page:
CERTIFIED PRE-APPROVED RESPONSE to daily reliability inquiry from potential new owners:
“Most of us love our Alfas, and talk enthusiastically about how fun they are to drive. There have been periodic updates and recalls issued over the years - as with all other cars. But there are no general reliability problems. Most common problems are electrical gremlins. I am unaware of any true mechanical issues. They are beautiful, well built, quality cars. You will always find individuals who have experienced problems, but don’t let that scare you. If buying used, make sure any car you purchase has had all of its updates and recalls performed and you’ve got nothing to worry about. Buy it and you will love it!”

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I currently have a BMW M135i which I'm looking to change for a 2.0T Giulia Veloce.

Before I do this what are the common issues with the Giulias? I know Alfa haven't got the best reliability record so what should I look out for?

Also has anyone had a detachable towbar fitted, I'll need to tow a jet ski on the odd occasion (please don't roast me haha)
It's not a truck. You want to tow something buy a truck. If you have a 1 series BMW you aren't in the Alfa class anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's not a truck. You want to tow something buy a truck. If you have a 1 series BMW you aren't in the Alfa class anyway.
I joined this forum because I was looking at a 2020 Ti Sport. I'm glad I found out that I lack the requisite "class" to own an Alfa. At least I didn't waste my time taking a test drive.
Thanks!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I joined this forum because I was looking at a 2020 Ti Sport. I'm glad I found out that I lack the requisite "class" to own an Alfa. At least I didn't waste my time taking a test drive.
Thanks!
Lol shit when i was in college i towed a 19 foot old beaten up ski boat with a 2005 Ford Focus ZX3. No kidding it was a little hairy pulling it up the boat ramp a couple times but it got the job done

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
306 Posts
Thanks!
You own a 1 series BMW?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I stand corrected for no production cars in races. However...

2007 race results Alfa entrant is the only car in its G class (20th overall).
2009 race results 2 Alfa entries. It is the only car in the H class (25th overall), and only 1 of 2 cars in I class (32nd and last classified position).
2010 race results Alfa entrant is the only car in its F class (21st overall).

whilst you rely on third hand bullshit and no real world actual experience, i hand the actual facts back to you on a platter,
providing facts is not being anything other than being better equipped (in all aspects) than you,

and you want to introduce what? "great reliability" now? ... thats what is laughable champ, your desperation, ... thats a strawman right there
the fact that it finished all three 12 hour races is actually evidence of reliability, not be all and end all but enough to shut you up LOL
it is also evidence that you were wrong saying "none of them are production cars" which is what you based your entire premise about measured reliability on
the fact that you made bullshit uninformed statements in the first place and now want to double up on them with even more keyboard warrior derogatory bullshit after i was nothing but polite and reasonable to you even after you were proved wrong, and now want to introduce new words into the strawman argument of yours is exactly the sort of bullshit that we are trying to overcome,
statements like

i dont know what the fuck you are talking about but we (Alfista) are talking about RELIABILITY
:)

and if you want punctuation, it will cost you extra
debunked bullshit
basing your premise on an ill informed mistake from which you draw a flawed conclusion

next round of dummy spit, toy out of pram, tantrum?

i say let it go champ, you were wrong
Funny how you completely left out my earlier admission of error in your reply. And also left out the indisputable facts that 3 out of the 4 wins came from a class of 1 car, with the 4th coming from a class of 2 cars. And only choose facts that fit your narrative, which is winning the Bathurst 12 hours proves the brand is reliable.

I concede that winning the Bathurst 12 hours is a sign of reliability. You are absolutely right on that. But it's a sign of reliability on that specific model. Not an entire brand. A single brand is capable of designing both good reliable cars and bad unreliable cars over its history.

And rest of the your wikipedia list of 33 different championships are, correct me if I'm wrong again as I'm not familiar with all of them, purpose-built race cars and have nothing to do with road car reliability. I maintain that to quote such a list and claim that, your exact words verbatim, "no car can win that many championships by being unreliable" is laughably fanboy.

What I find especially funny is calling actual race results I provided, albeit recorded on a 3rd party website, as "third hand bullshit and no real actual experience". I guess if it's not listed on the official Bathurst website, it's automatically bullshit, regardless of the factual race results. By the way, if we go by that criteria, a list on Wikipedia, which is also a 3rd party website, is also "third hand bullshit and no real actual experience".

Having said all that, I've not said a single word in this thread at all about the current Alfa cars being unreliable. I just don't like it when people fanboy.

But you know what Papa Gallo? You are always right. You win. I'll just leave this here as my last comment on this subject and bug out.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts