Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Along with a couple of others, I have been experiencing a misfire when idling on a cold start. It runs smooth for a minute, then it burps, then runs smooth again repeating this a few times. If I take off there is a misfire then it smooths out and is fine. I called Alfa Care and they said my car has the latest updates. The dealer told me to bring it in so they can look at it and they are giving me a loaner. Someone told me it is emissions related and a new update is in the works. I wonder what the real story is?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Along with a couple of others, I have been experiencing a misfire when idling on a cold start. It runs smooth for a minute, then it burps, then runs smooth again repeating this a few times. If I take off there is a misfire then it smooths out and is fine. I called Alfa Care and they said my car has the latest updates. The dealer told me to bring it in so they can look at it and they are giving me a loaner. Someone told me it is emissions related and a new update is in the works. I wonder what the real story is?
I've complained about this exact problem to my dealer, of course it came back with "Could Not Replicate Issue". I just started doing slow drive warmups instead of idling.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Who knows what the real story is.

No, really, does anybody know what the real story is? :)

Mine has the same issue (2017 Q4). It rained last night so the mats were dirty. As I had already started the car, as I was shaking the loose dirt off the mats, the idle, which was shaky the whole time, went up, down, up, then way down, to the point the entire car shook for a second or two.

Now that we're driving, all is good, except for the delay between throttle input and engine reaction.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
If anyone has an OBD2 reader we should do some testing and see what's up. I can tell you that my boosted Miata has noticeable changes in startups depending on the weather. Even now after sorting out my much maligned boost harness shorts. The ecu will pull timing or add it depending on the conditions. It takes time for the heated O2 sensors to come up to temp and provide a good signal. I found a crack in the insulation of one of those wires behind my Air/Fuel ratio gauge in my A pillar stack. It runs off an O2 sensor and has a heated circuit. I found that it was stuck on heating and never clicked over to display digital A/F ratio like it normally does. Now this sensor is not part of the ecu system so it didn't really effect running, but it was clear once I fixed it that the ecu was waiting for the sensors to warm up before it decided to commit to normal idle. This tells me that there is a short interval after startup that the ecu needs to do a full check of all sensors and inputs, atmospheric conditions and the like. These are direct injection engines too so there is less room for error like running rich or lean. Be patient and get a reader or even a Bluetooth reader like I have. It's great and works with a free app on your phone or tablet. Torque is good for 4c engines. I also have OBD Facile for the Ferrari and will use it on the Quad. You need to be able to monitor 2 banks on the V6. I will use this from day one and get an idea of what's happening if I see the warning light and so forth. You can always disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and reconnect to cold reboot the ecu. You can also use the reader and app to clear code and log them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Who knows what the real story is.

No, really, does anybody know what the real story is? :)

Mine has the same issue (2017 Q4). It rained last night so the mats were dirty. As I had already started the car, as I was shaking the loose dirt off the mats, the idle, which was shaky the whole time, went up, down, up, then way down, to the point the entire car shook for a second or two.

Now that we're driving, all is good, except for the delay between throttle input and engine reaction.
The cold start issue will not show up on any OBD2 scanner. A 156 Alfa Romeo 2000 twin spart. The problem is a cold start sensor just on top of intake manifold looks like a crank sensor. Replace or check to clean. Or just by pass. Remove battery and unplug it.then connect the battery. Try that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts