Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never had a car that took longer to come up to full operating temperature in cold weather. My SAAB would warm up in about 1 to 2 miles. My six-cylinder Merc warms up in about 3-5 miles. The Alfa seems to take almost 8-10 miles to warm up while cruising at highway speed. Typically, you expect small, turbo motors to warm faster. This morning the Alfa showed it was 12º in my garage when I started it and it was almost 10 miles later before the coolant gauge began to move upwards. Anyone else had similar experiences/observations?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,722 Posts
If you keep driving in the 12F weather, does the car ever reach full operating temperature?

Postings in the forums so far have stated:

Seems to run cold when it is cool outside.
Warms up faster than any car experienced before.

The difference may be driving at highway speed (first observation?) versus driving in town (second observation?).

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
This morning the Alfa showed it was 12º in my garage when I started it and it was almost 10 miles later before the coolant gauge began to move upwards. Anyone else had similar experiences/observations?
The Giulia doesn't show coolant temp, it shows oil temp.

IMHO this is a much more important measure of when it is safe to use full throttle than coolant temp.

On cars that I've had with both coolant and oil temp gauges, the oil temp typically takes about twice as long to reach operating temperature than the coolant temp does.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I was driving around in 6 degrees Fahrenheit today, took about 2 miles to see the oil temp gauge move, and another 2 miles to warm up to 2 bars. For it to reach 3, where it says for me on super cold days, was another 3 or 4 miles. If you idle in the car in a parking lot, it will move to 4 eventually. This is for my 2.0T

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
That's Oil Temp you're looking at, and for my QV it takes about 4-5 miles to reach normal operating temp ...
The Giulia doesn't show coolant temp, it shows oil temp.

IMHO this is a much more important measure of when it is safe to use full throttle than coolant temp.

On cars that I've had with both coolant and oil temp gauges, the oil temp typically takes about twice as long to reach operating temperature than the coolant temp does.
Right. We don't have a gauge for coolant temperature, just oil temp, which does indeed take longer to come up to temp.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do we have a source besides the manual that says this is an actual oil temperature gauge?

The QV manual itself seems to be pretty confused as to the purpose of the gauge.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Do we have a source besides the manual that says this is an actual oil temperature gauge?

The QV manual itself seems to be pretty confused as to the purpose of the gauge.
The little oil can symbol above the gauge is enough for me to understand it is oil temp.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The little oil can symbol above the gauge is enough for me to understand it is oil temp.
Fair enough. It would help if the manual could at least be consistent about it — sure made me doubt whether it’s really oil temp.

The behavior is definitely consistent with an oil temperature gauge. It takes quite a bit of time for my QV to get up to 4 bars these days. Need to keep it at pretty high RPMs to get there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts