Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my QV at the dealer yesterday to replace a door trim piece which is warped and coming off. Also my hood still won’t open properly. They ordered the parts. When I picked up the car the doors acted strangely when unlocking and then when starting the car it threw every warning light under the sun.

The tech had no idea why it would have happened. He said he did not do anything to the car but try to fix the trim and hood latches. He cleared the codes and it seems to be fine now. He said QV’s sometimes get a weird software glitch.

Seems like a strange coincidence that it happened when I was at the dealer. Hope it was a one time deal.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I get the feeling that everyones car will behave differently, this could be to faulty wiring, sensors or lack of sensors and software glitches. Some early cars were trouble free while others gave their owners headaches. I'm guessing that the level of sophistication with all the on board systems makes them glitch prone. Other makes suffer the same problems.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
I had my QV at the dealer yesterday to replace a door trim piece which is warped and coming off. Also my hood still won’t open properly. They ordered the parts. When I picked up the car the doors acted strangely when unlocking and then when starting the car it threw every warning light under the sun.

The tech had no idea why it would have happened. He said he did not do anything to the car but try to fix the trim and hood latches. He cleared the codes and it seems to be fine now. He said QV’s sometimes get a weird software glitch.
To me this sounds like classic "low voltage" issues. The tech may have opened and closed the door a lot while replacing your trim piece. Every time this happens the car goes through a wake-up cycle with the ECU, the lights, interior lights, etc. and all of this can drain the battery.

I've had it happen once when I started the car after not using it for a few weeks in the middle of winter. I cleared the codes, charged the battery, and haven't had any issues since.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To me this sounds like classic "low voltage" issues. The tech may have opened and closed the door a lot while replacing your trim piece. Every time this happens the car goes through a wake-up cycle with the ECU, the lights, interior lights, etc. and all of this can drain the battery.

I've had it happen once when I started the car after not using it for a few weeks in the middle of winter. I cleared the codes, charged the battery, and haven't had any issues since.
Actually this might make sense Joe. When clearing the codes he had a bit of a hard time. They did not clear at first. He had to disconnect the battery, turn the wheel in a certain pattern (which I didn’t understand) and then clear the codes.

No idea what turning the wheel back and forth had to do with anything but then again these things are more computer than they are car these days. Maybe Alfa Tech can educate us.

·
Registered
279 Posts
How weak are these batteries that this "low voltage" condition is present so often? It's one thing if people having driving habits (short trips, car sits unused for long periods of time, etc) that lend to undercharged batteries, or if a bunch of cars got "bad" batteries. When BMW initially switched to the AGM systems some years back, to save on MPG, they had tuned the system to charge the battery from the alternator so infrequently, that owners were flat lining their batteries very quickly even when not engaging in "low charge" driving and usage habits. BMW had to adjust the software to keep the alternators running more frequently. In this case, I wonder if the tech was playing the radio for the 1-2 hours it took him to perform the repair.

·
Registered
249 Posts
After a battery disconnect - you must turn the steering wheel to both sides fully to re-initialize the steering. I know - had to disconnect my battery trying to figure out another issue. It is clearly listed in the Manuals as an action to take if you had to disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts
Giulia's battery is a large flooded cell unit.
Lead-acid batteries have issues with the number of charge-discharge cycles they can withstand before significant deterioration starts. This can be improved by using un-alloyed lead, but then the batteries become more susceptible to vibration damage.

I'm not sure why LFP (LiFePO4) batteries are not used in new cars with auto start-stop. 4 LFP cells produce practically the same voltage as the "standard" 6 cell Lead-Acid battery (12.8 versus 12.6 volts nominal), and LFP batteries can withstand at least 10 times as many charge-discharge cycles while weighing considerably less than the same AH and CCA rated lead-acid battery. No out-gassing, no tendency to catch fire like Li-Ion, no toxic metals. They are a bit pricey at around $600-1000 for a Giulia capacity battery. They require a different charge controller than lead-acid, so they aren't a simple swap out <sigh>; they are available for powering your electric boat trolling motor though where a dedicated charger is used. Some race supply houses sell them for your race car.

Anyway, do any forum members know how and where the charge control is implemented on Giulia? If it is trying to manage the number of charge-discharge cycles by allowing the battery to discharge deeper, if you stop and park the car for a while when the battery is discharged almost to where the charge controller decides to start the charge cycle, you may find that you cannot leave the car parked for as long as you expect before problems start happening.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After a battery disconnect - you must turn the steering wheel to both sides fully to re-initialize the steering. I know - had to disconnect my battery trying to figure out another issue. It is clearly listed in the Manuals as an action to take if you had to disconnect the battery.
Interesting. I missed that in the manual.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
How weak are these batteries that this "low voltage" condition is present so often?
I'm not sure it's a case of the batteries being weak per se, rather that the electronics are more sensitive to small voltage fluctuations that those in other vehicles. Errors seems to be easy enough to prevent - for me it just means putting the car on a tender if it hasn't been used in ~ 1 week or more.

One other "tell" that your Giulia may be undercharged is if the stop/start system doesn't kick in when it normally would. I believe low voltage is one of the parameters that the system checks for and will disable the stop/start if not above a certain threshold.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I do think a lot of these issues were caused by cars sitting in inventory too long, then charged for a test drive or delivery - but the battery was already affected by months of non-use.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Is this an AGM battery? If it isn't, and I had a car with these issues - $100 at Costco for an Interstate can make all these problems go away.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do think a lot of these issues were caused by cars sitting in inventory too long, then charged for a test drive or delivery - but the battery was already affected by months of non-use.
So this might be the case for me. I purchased my car which was ordered by the dealer in May 2017 (car was on order when i put a deposit on it). It turned out to be a model year 2018 that the dealer received in February 2018. Maybe it sat for a while.

No issues since the once occurrence last week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts