Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my Quad engine is cold and I back the car into the street (turning the steering wheel) I get a loud clunking sound coming from the lower rear of the car. There is no sound when you then drive the car in a relatively straight line. After the car warms up there is no clunking sound whatsoever no matter how much the steering wheel is turned. Any ideas?

·
Registered
189 Posts
When my Quad engine is cold and I back the car into the street (turning the steering wheel) I get a loud clunking sound coming from the lower rear of the car. There is no sound when you then drive the car in a relatively straight line. After the car warms up there is no clunking sound whatsoever no matter how much the steering wheel is turned. Any ideas?
maybe the electric brake releasing ?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Since it only happens while turning it sounds like the differential. Does the Quad have a limited slip differential?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The clunking sound definitely comes from the rear. I thought of the electric parking brake sticking but how would I check it?
Only have 320 miles on the car. Dealer is 30 miles away.
Any way to narrow things down?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Can you park without the parking brake and see if in the morning it still clunks?

·
Super Moderator
1,091 Posts
In my experience with the Quadrifoglio, the front tires and suspension are subject to "crabbing" on smooth surfaces.

When backing up sharply in the car and tires are cold, the tires are effectively pinched when the steering wheel is turned at a sharp angle. Some of this is due to the rear end being wound up fairly tight as well. In my case, it is definitely the tires settling into a better (more square) resting position once the car is backed up sharply.

This crabbing effect especially occurs in a driveway which has a seal coat top coat (smoother surface). It is the nature of the beast. Same thing occurred in a V series caddy when I had it.

Fix? Put on some sloppy high-profile all season tires with flexible sidewalls and don't turn sharply. Crazy scenario of physics for sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do park without the parking brake set but I think the car automatically sets the parking brake when the gear selector is in park. I think that's how I understand the Alfa manual.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Bingo...you win...mine does the same thing only in cold...
Aha! I was going to suggest checking the diffuser anyway. Claudia on YouTube Auto Avanti said to be careful backing out. The vanes may be bottoming out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.