Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal to have to really slam the trunk on the Giulia to keep it closed? If I don't slam it hard it will just pop open a few times. If not normal and most of them close with ease, can someone tell me of quick adjustments that might help. I would rather not take it to the dealer for something like this.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Is for me. Always takes me twice. I find it easier to close if you push in the middle, right above the badge.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,094 Posts
While I wouldn't say "slam", "close positively" would be in the ballpark.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I've had the same issue in the past. I now make sure to close it firmly and it now happens rarely.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
This is not normal. Your dealer can adjust the mechanism to make it work. I had the same issue with mine in the beginning. It was kinda endearing to me because it reminded me of my 76 spider which did the same. Still not ok. And hasnt come back after adjustment

·
Registered
658 Posts
Reading this thread my Giulia may be the odd one out, trunk closes and latches with a pretty light touch just enough to overcome the opening springs. Same with the doors, definitely no slamming required.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
My driver's door can be closed too gently.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
653 Posts
This seems to be the latest, common annoyance. Mine also has to be shut firmly or it pops right back up. Not a big deal, but it's a pain when my arms are full of grocery bags, and I'm trying to close the trunk and it keeps popping up.
Unrelated, but another annoyance: this weekend, the plastic ring that surrounds the area where the seatbelt retracts, popped out on the passenger side. It was a bit of a struggle to get it properly snapped back in, but after several tries, I think I got it.
These must be what everyone refers to as the "quirks" of owning an Alfa Romeo. It does not in any way detract from my love of the car, but my wife is more easily annoyed.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
I wonder whether colder weather is exposing some previously unobserved by us material characteristics of the Giulia's plastics. Forum participants have already noted that certain tires lose much of their grip below a temperature threshold. Perhaps the same is true for trunk bumpers and such.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Rubber stops on the trunk lid are of too soft material....it seems like lid bounces too much when you try to close it, with some people it even goes so far down that it rubs off the clear coat on the bumper....on my car relatively slight however folow through push on lid works like a charm

·
Registered
460 Posts
My car must have been built early first shift on a Wednesday because I don't have any issues, including this one. My trunk closes with minimal effort. The only think I might say is that sometimes the hood doesn't pop up when released and I have to squeeze my fingers into the panel gap to pop it free. Could probably fix that with a bumper adjustment.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder whether colder weather is exposing some previously unobserved by us material characteristics of the Giulia's plastics. Forum participants have already noted that certain tires lose much of their grip below a temperature threshold. Perhaps the same is true for trunk bumpers and such.
My trunk has been this way since day 1, when it was warm out. I adjusted the latches today, and its a little better. I bave developed a technique that seems to work for me. If I flick it down pretty quick from center of license it seems to usually close first time.

Italian engineering quirks. Very similar to Ducati’s i have owned. Still makes me smile driving it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just went to the dealer for the T57 recall and also asked if they could look at my trunk because it was not closing if the doors where locked. They said it is antenna issue and I will need to bring it back it for it. I told them that I added dyno mat to the top of the hood lid. So my question is does anyone know where the antenna they are referring to is located. It would be the same antenna that recognizes when your key is in the trunk and will not shut.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My car trunk was hard to close when I first took it for a test drive. Dealer adjusted it during prep and it is perfect now.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I took my car to the dealer and they said it is an antenna issue. The antenna when the car is locked is acting like my key is in the trunk. I am not sure where the antenna is but this is apparently the issue. I have to schedule time for them to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 31 Posts