Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I’ve had this car for almost a year and I’m still uncertain how to bypass the climate control so that only unheated or cooled outside (ambient) air enters the cabin. I’ve looked through my manual and the online video but both are unclear. In the video the left side light in the recirculation knob is explained but not the right side light in that knob. On cool mornings the car always wants to heat itself. What am I missing?

·
Registered
82 Posts
OK, I’ve had this car for almost a year and I’m still uncertain how to bypass the climate control so that only unheated or cooled outside (ambient) air enters the cabin. I’ve looked through my manual and the online video but both are unclear.
Roll down the window.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Here is my best guess.
1) Turn off recirculation, so that it is pulling air from outside.
2) Turn off AC so that the system is not cooling the air.
3) Turn the temperature all the way down to the lowest setting. This will force the system not to heat the air. At the same time the air won't be 'cold' air because the AC is disabled.
In theory this should provide you with air from outside that is not heated, or cooled.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,754 Posts
Lately my car has been engaging manual recirculation at every startup. Thanks, but I prefer to handle that myself.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Lately my car has been engaging manual recirculation at every startup. Thanks, but I prefer to handle that myself.
Agreed. It seems in warmer temperature, it engages manual re-circulation automatically.

·
Registered
691 Posts
^^ it does....its part of my preflight check ceremony lol, start stop off, recirc off....
Lol....I told my wife the same thing. Driving the QV is like taking off in an Airplane. Start On, check. Race Mode on or Start/Stop off, check. Parking Brake off, check. Recirc off, check. Push button, gear forward to reverse, check. Seat belt on to quiet the annoying bells, check.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
OK, I’ve had this car for almost a year and I’m still uncertain how to bypass the climate control so that only unheated or cooled outside (ambient) air enters the cabin. I’ve looked through my manual and the online video but both are unclear. In the video the left side light in the recirculation knob is explained but not the right side light in that knob. On cool mornings the car always wants to heat itself. What am I missing?
Is it not simply a matter of turning off climate control (fan speed knob anticlockwise) and ensuring the A/M Recirc is not illuminated? That should be just fresh, ambient temp air, although if the engine is warm and the car not moving, it will soak some engine heat.

·
Registered
399 Posts
That sounds reasonable to me. Or if all else fails couldn’t you just set the climate control to the same temp as the outside temp turn off recirculation and it should be the same as getting unforced outside air.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ll tell you what I tell customers that come in and have questions about it. Set the temperature to a level that is comfortable for you and leave it alone and focus on the Drive Experience. Its made to look and operate simply with little to no input from the driver, according to outside environmental conditions. The air circulation is primarily in the outside air position anyway.

Of all the sensors this climate control system uses there are two important sensors. An Air Quality Sensor and a humidity sensor, the AQS automatically activates internal air recirculation when the outside air is polluted (e.g. in heavy traffic and tunnels). The Climate Control System will also intake outside air to cycle it into the passenger compartment after a set time from when the AQS first detected the polluted air, to retest the air for pollutants. The humidity sensor mounted behind the rear-view mirror on the inside of the windshield monitors and prevents fogging of the windows by using a combination of heat and the AC system to dry and then warm the air to the windows.

At low external temperatures or in high humidity, the AQS and Recirculation is forced off to further prevent the windows from fogging up.

So, are you having fogging issues? There is a software update for the climate control system, for improved defogging operation after extended driving, among other improvements. The next time you are in for service tell them you have some fogging issues after a long drive and ask if they can check and update the climate control with the latest software.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Here is my best guess.
3) Turn the temperature all the way down to the lowest setting. This will force the system not to heat the air. At the same time the air won't be 'cold' air because the AC is disabled.
In theory this should provide you with air from outside that is not heated, or cooled.

What he said. With a little addendum: the lowest setting will automatically trigger A/C, so you need a notch above that which I believe is 61 degrees.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Here is my best guess.

What he said. With a little addendum: the lowest setting will automatically trigger A/C, so you need a notch above that which I believe is 61 degrees.
The only thing I would add to this is that you should turn the temperature setting to low and the airflow to manual non-recirc ( lights off) While auto and AC Is still on. This will automatically turn off auto. Now turn off the AC. This is the trick to get Giulia To not send you mixed warm and cool air.

Ridiculous to have to do this I know. That said, On auto this car heats and cools amazingly rapidly.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
The only thing I would add to this is that you should turn the temperature setting to low and the airflow to manual non-recirc ( lights off) While auto and AC Is still on. This will automatically turn off auto. Now turn off the AC. This is the trick to get Giulia To not send you mixed warm and cool air.

Ridiculous to have to do this I know. That said, On auto this car heats and cools amazingly rapidly.
Wait, so you guys are saying that if climate control is off and recirc is off, the car will condition air anyway (i.e. “mixed warm and cool”)?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Lol....I told my wife the same thing. Driving the QV is like taking off in an Airplane. Start On, check. Race Mode on or Start/Stop off, check. Parking Brake off, check. Recirc off, check. Push button, gear forward to reverse, check. Seat belt on to quiet the annoying bells, check.
That's why my wife won't drive it :)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Wait, so you guys are saying that if climate control is off and recirc is off, the car will condition air anyway (i.e. “mixed warm and cool”)?
The only thing you can explicitly turn off is the A/C. But the heater is always ready to come on depending on the set temperature. If your cabin air is 65 and you have the console set at 70, it will heat it up to 70... unless you have the fan set to 0.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yeah the recirc button/light is the most confusing part. When the light is on and set to A that means it is automatic and probably on recirc. So then you think it should be on M, which helps get the computer out of the way a bit, but it is still set to RECIRC or always on! So yes, the light off and no letters means you are indeed set to outside air. I've played with it a bit, but since the fogging was a pain i the spring, I decided to go with manual and recirc just because I know it helps for ac. I have been using the windows cracked a bit more lately just to evacuate the hot parking lot air after work or a morning in my garage.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Same. I notice it whenever the HVAC begins to reek of sour, stale air. Then I have to press the recirc button twice to turn it off so that the bad HVAC smell goes away. I'd much prefer a simple 3 dial system (hot/cold, fan speed, direction) that is much more robust than the auto HVAC that stops blowing cold air whenever I drive in 80F weather with the AC on and the windows rolled down. I want both **** it!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts