Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into clear wrap and ceramic coating for my QV. Was quoted a price by a local guy for xpel and ceramic pro.

The shop is really nice and it seems like he does a very thorough and professional job. He quoted me at about $4,200 for the xpel and ceramic pro. Xpel covers whole front end, A and B pillars, strip on front of roof and rocker panels.

I have no idea if that is a decent price. What did you all pay for similar wrap and ceramic coating?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Same coverage here with XPEL Ultimate and CQuartz Finest coating including removing the wheels coating the inside barrel and caliper. $2800. Costs vary a bit with PPF from what I have seen. On a new car the good ceramic coating should be around $1100.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Just over 3500 for Xpel. Full front and rear bumper, full hood, rockers, door edges, mirrors, and full door. Opti Coat Pro + including wheels and calipers. Make it so nice to wash and dry. Some how even with all that I still got a rock chip on the hood, drivers side, mid way up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same coverage here with XPEL Ultimate and CQuartz Finest coating including removing the wheels coating the inside barrel and caliper. $2800. Costs vary a bit with PPF from what I have seen. On a new car the good ceramic coating should be around $1100.
How did you find a reputable place to do it?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I paid $1600 for Ceramic coat(wheels too) and a "Track Package" clear bra from 3m. That consists of bumper, hood, front fenders, side mirrors, door handle cups and the door edges. Sounds like $4200 is a rip off. The money is well spent.

Reactions: exlondoner

·
Registered
39 Posts
what's the difference between expel and ceramic coat? Or are they the same? Is expel ultimate and Quartz different? the Ferrari-Masarati-Alfa dealer in town quoted a price of $7000 for the entire car. He said that is the same wrap they use on the Ferrari's. In the past, i've gotten the 3M or expel wrap - on the front bumper, around quarter hood, side and mirrors for around $800 (back in 2008) to $1200 (this past February) for my previous BMW's and Lexus's. The sales guy was saying that the wrap is a much higher quality, and it's on the entire car, but I'm not sure what the difference is, except for it being on the entire car.

·
Registered
630 Posts
what's the difference between expel and ceramic coat?
Xpel Ultimate is a brand name of paint protection film. In this case it is a thin, clear, self-healing urethane film with an adhesive backing that is stretched over the painted surfaces of your car. It is meant primarily to protect against small impacts like pebbles that would otherwise create stone chips.

CQuartz is a brand name of ceramic coating. They typically use nanotechnology to create very small particles held in fluid suspension that is applied to painted surfaces or on top of a paint protection film. When it cures it is super hard and has hydrophobic properties, which means it sheds dirt and water easily. It is meant to be applied to cars with two-stage base coat/ clear coat paint jobs. When used alone, it enhances the strength of the existing clear coat and makes it thicker and more durable. So in effect, it offers improved scratch resistance. But it can still be chipped by stone pecking. Typically, the car is detailed prior to application as any imperfections will be "locked in" once the ceramic coating is applied and cures. Paint defects are corrected by buffing them out with hand-held polishing machines with the right buffing pads and buffing compounds. But you must be careful as there is only so much thickness to the original clear coat, so pros will often use a micron gauge to measure paint thickness before and after paint correction. Newer cars have less wear and tear, so often require less paint correction prior to application of ceramic coatings. Some coatings are UV cured at higher temperature.

Many people like to use both a paint protection film in areas that experience high wear and tear, and also a ceramic coating so that the car always looks clean and shiny. There are many different brands of paint protection film and ceramic coatings. So do your research. Some people like to DIY but unless you really enjoy detailing as a hobby this is something best left to professionals.

The longer lasting ceramic coatings that last 3, 5, 8 years or more often require professional installation and periodic maintenance by the installer to maintain the product warranty. The longer lasting coatings are also typically more involved process to apply and cure. This is why they cost more. The cheaper, DIY friendly ceramic coatings tend to last not as long, maybe 4-6 months.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The sales guy was saying that the wrap is a much higher quality, and it's on the entire car, but I'm not sure what the difference is, except for it being on the entire car.
Your Ferrari-Maserati-Alfa dealer is most likely not doing the work themselves. Like most dealers, they're probably subcontracting the job out to professionals and adding a fat profit margin for themselves. While a high-quality full-vehicle wrap alone can cost several thousand dollars, the $7k price quote is very high. Your best bet is to avoid the dealer and work directly with the professional detailers who actually do the work.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Looking into clear wrap and ceramic coating for my QV. Was quoted a price by a local guy for xpel and ceramic pro.

The shop is really nice and it seems like he does a very thorough and professional job. He quoted me at about $4,200 for the xpel and ceramic pro. Xpel covers whole front end, A and B pillars, strip on front of roof and rocker panels.

I have no idea if that is a decent price. What did you all pay for similar wrap and ceramic coating?
I had a recommendation from someone here for a shop in Westchester and they do nice work for reasonable price. They work on cars as high up as LaFerrari’s. His quote came in at about a grand less than what you were quoted. Xpel full nose, mirrors, A+B pillars, rockers, door handle cups, rear mud flap area and trunk/bumper top along with cQuartz and paint correction including wheels and calipers. I’ll make a post about it all in the near future.

The shop pulls the QV badges and the vents just below for a cleaner install and you really cannot tell the front of the car is wrapped. Really nice work. Funny thing was when I went to pick up my car it was sitting next to a white 458 and a couple of times guys walking by stopped to ask about the QV and they ignored the Ferrari while the shop owner Fatian was going over the work. The passerby’s were shocked the car had the Xpel on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
The cost of a wrap and/or ceramic coating depends on the cost of labor in your area.
Imperial Works in Sacramento (medium labor cost area) charged $7500 for a full Xpel wrap (all surfaces) plus "gold" level Ceramic Pro treatment. IMO, this is what is needed to keep the car looking nice when it is going to be driven in a harsh (for paint) environment.

Only time will tell if I wasted my money by getting more than a track wrap.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The cost of a wrap and/or ceramic coating depends on the cost of labor in your area.
Imperial Works in Sacramento (medium labor cost area) charged $7500 for a full Xpel wrap (all surfaces) plus "gold" level Ceramic Pro treatment. IMO, this is what is needed to keep the car looking nice when it is going to be driven in a harsh (for paint) environment.

Only time will tell if I wasted my money by getting more than a track wrap.
Ceramic first then xpel on top? Thats roughly 15% or more depending on what you paid for that car. Phew.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Ceramic first then xpel on top? Thats roughly 15% or more depending on what you paid for that car. Phew.
It should be (and probably was) the other way around, the film will not stick properly to the ceramic coating...so the ceramic goes on top of the Xpel.

·
Registered
573 Posts
After washing the car a couple of times in the past week, the Ceramic coating is well worth the $$ spent. I makes it so easy to wash. For the most part I can spray the dirt off and the dry and detail the car. Last night was a bit interesting, stopped at the car wash for a quick spray off of the car, was going to dry it there but it was WAY to cold to try and do that. As soon as the towel hit the water droplets they just smeared and froze on the car, made it look like the ceramic and clear coat were peeling off. So I ended up just sparing the car off, driving the short drive home. When I pulled the car into the garage all the water droplets were almost frozen. Cranked the heat up and let them melt and then went to work drying her.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am getting my car coated next week. With a full correction detail + CQuartz Pro multiple layer coating, he quoted me $2200. No Xpel. I was told by others in the SoCal area that he's the best around as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
How did you find a reputable place to do it?
Two different friends are certified dealers/installers. Not my first vehicle I have had done either.

My suggestion is use these links and find a certified/trained dealer/installer in your local area. Then read reviews.

http://cquartz.com/find-your-finest/

http://www.xpel.com/locator/search/clearbra_installers/

As mentioned but worth noting again if you intend to get PPF you must have that done before the ceramic coating. Ceramic coating goes over the top which is why I like to use Xpel Ultimate. The finish is amazing when done correctly.

Another excellent ceramic coating brand is Gtechniq....Crystal Serum Ultra is a 7 year application that only a trained dealer can obtain/apply. EXO coating over the top makes it crazy hydrophobic. This is what I am running actually (misspoke earlier). Whichever brand you go with buy a rejuvenator spray which is as simple to use such as a quick detailing spray. It will maintain the slickness and shine of the surface. Not required but if in harsh environments or heavy car washing it will help extend the coating life.

https://usa.gtechniq.com/worldwide/

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
It should be (and probably was) the other way around, the film will not stick properly to the ceramic coating...so the ceramic goes on top of the Xpel.
Precisely. Besides protecting the paint from damage and making washing the car easier, the combination makes a nice paint job look like a show car paint job.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Getting my front fascia, full hood, mirrors, front fenders, rockers and luggage area done in xpel plus ceramic tinting for $3500 next week. After that I'm looking to get cQuartz done on the vehicle as well. I did this with my RS, however I did the ceramic protection myself and while most don't see the spots I didn't do a great job on, I can see them, so this time I'll leave it to the professionals.

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have the Suntek Ultra on my QV. Full front, A piller's, mirrors, rocker/blade, luggage area on rear bumper, for $2600. As for a Ceramic coating I read that it does not adhere as well to the film and it reduces the life expectancy of the coating. Due to this I think I will go with one of the new sealants like Reload Spray Sealant or Opti-Seal that I can apply vs the $1000 ceramic coating, has anyone tried these?
I think that’s backwards. The film is not likely to still well to a ceramic coated car, kinda the point of the coating to begin with. The ceramic coating on top of the film should only serve to make it easier to clean and less likely for stuff to stick to it enhancing the life of the film.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts