Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what everyone is getting for coverage (if any). I hate clear bras, but understand that it's better than rock chips. Anyone have/getting full front or are going with 18 inch ( or less ) coverage for the front with mirror caps?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Just curious what everyone is getting for coverage (if any). I hate clear bras, but understand that it's better than rock chips. Anyone have/getting full front or are going with 18 inch ( or less ) coverage for the front with mirror caps?
I will put it on mine, had it on my last car. I do not expect to do the full hood, front grill area for sure and partial hood. Did not have full hood on my last car and it worked out just fine. At the very least I would suggest you do the headlights and door cups.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just had Expel applied to front and hood (not fenders). Worked GREAT on dark green 911S with 9 years and 71,000+ miles. No chip damage and you couldn't tell it was there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have it on my full front - Xpel Ultimate- hood, bumper, fenders, front splitters, headlights plus the mirrors, rocker panels and the portion in front of and behind the rear wheel wells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
It has improved over the years and may not be what you think. 98% of the people that look at my car in detail can't tell anything is on. 95% think i'm BSing them so i point them to run their finger under panels to feel the separation. If you throw a ceramic coating on there too... Forget about it. Btw i have trofeo white.

Reactions: Psychodo

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I had a partial clear on my 13 Boxster, so I know the material has gotten much better. Went with ceramic coating only on the Spyder, had a few dings but nothing remarkable.

I always have that 70's clear vinyl sofa covering feeling whenever I think of covering my car. lol.

I'm leaning toward a partial - 18 " on the hood, front, lights, bumper and mirror caps, just to prevent the majority of dings.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
We had a partial hood done and front bumper and had it removed. We then went with a full front end everthing, rockers, rears, A & B Pillars no roof. Then nano coated. No one can tell the car is filmed because there is no line. The partial hood on the Rosso was horrible in the desert. To redo it was that bad to my eyes but I am pretty picky

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,788 Posts
Giulia front end looks very clear bra friendly as you can bra it to the joins and still get great frontal coverage against stonechips and not see any sightly joins - like you would get on a Porsche if you only wanted to clear bra the nose area, you would then have sightly joins where the bra finishes and the unprotected panel begins

unless im missing something

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I am obviously not "everybody" but here is what I did:

Clear Xpel wrap on the entire car.
Ceramic Pro Gold over that.

It is expensive, but my drive is very hard on the car's finish. Winter road grit, tall weeds growing in my dirt driveway, flying bits of road tar, flying rocks (propelled by trucks and/or wind), bird you-know-what, bird strikes, bug splatter a plenty, rampant chipmunks, and who knows what else.

So far (about 4 months) I have been able to clean it all off although Giulia hasn't encountered all of the hazards yet. The only degradation I have noticed is about 2 tiny rock chips that seem to have gotten through the Xpel, and dark lines at the edge of the Xpel in a few places. Only the road tar has been hard to clean off.

I don't expect this treatment to deal with things like the wind propelled rock that dented my truck's front fender, and it probably won't help for a bird strike on the grill but it will hopefully deal with the rest.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am obviously not "everybody" but here is what I did:

Clear Xpel wrap on the entire car.
Ceramic Pro Gold over that.

It is expensive, but my drive is very hard on the car's finish. Winter road grit, tall weeds growing in my dirt driveway, flying bits of road tar, flying rocks (propelled by trucks and/or wind), bird you-know-what, bird strikes, bug splatter a plenty, rampant chipmunks, and who knows what else.

So far (about 4 months) I have been able to clean it all off although Giulia hasn't encountered all of the hazards yet. The only degradation I have noticed is about 2 tiny rock chips that seem to have gotten through the Xpel, and dark lines at the edge of the Xpel in a few places. Only the road tar has been hard to clean off.

I don't expect this treatment to deal with things like the wind propelled rock that dented my truck's front fender, and it probably won't help for a bird strike on the grill but it will hopefully deal with the rest.
:surprise:

wow that must have been fairly expensive. I'm 99% sure my wife would kill me if I went there... maybe 99.5 % :grin2: That's one heck of an abusive drive you do though.

Reactions: Mailman44

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm still getting quotes, so full frontal is not out of the equation. Most have come back around 7-800 for partial, 1500 - 2000 for full frontal. Passing on ceramic this time around though. Oddly, I missed washing/waxing the last car.

I'm mostly concerned about front hood/bumper chips, though it would be nice to have the entire hood covered. Thanks again for the replies!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So.. had a installer tell me something odd. That they don't cover the bumper generally because the bumpers are designed to take impacts and that the paint can withstand impacts. Never heard such outlandish statement before.

Next!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So.. had a installer tell me something odd. That they don't cover the bumper generally because the bumpers are designed to take impacts and that the paint can withstand impacts. Never heard such outlandish statement before.

Next!
That is just bonkers.
I know! I looked at my wife, who knows nothing about cars and she made the "wtf is he talking about" face. Haha

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've got an appointment for 1/2 up the hood, A pillars and forward section of roof, where windshield meets roof.

Ya, I'm not totally into on clear bra everywhere, I've had it on 3 cars now, and it looks OK until the bra takes a big hit, then it pockmarks. On a dark color it can stick out like a sore thumb, and after awhile it starts to permanently change, it becomes more noticeable. After a few years it frankly looks kind of crappy on dark colors.

Obvious areas- Front bumper, A pillars mirrors, above windshield, yes - the rest nope.

I usually make small patches out of bulk bra and put those on the fender right behind the wheel, so the very forward edge facing the wheel has 2" spot of protection. Easy to DIY and worthwhile to prevent sandblast rash there.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I know! I looked at my wife, who knows nothing about cars and she made the "wtf is he talking about" face. Haha
We women are smart. I know nothing about cars. Xpel is a little bit more expensive than Suntek. Honestly I would have wrapped the whole car too but we are just not that hard on a car. Tell the wife she will find the partial hideous. And the ding you get will be just a hair above the line. The Suntek film is a little more forgiving in the application. If you plan on racing the Xpel could probably take the hits a little better but a dent is a dent. The adhesive layer is thicker on Xpel but they have are both good. Remember I paid to have the front bra put on before she was shipped. The dealer did a crap job on the Bumper slats and then the line on the top was OMG. So it cost us first to remove the one the dealer put on and then to pay for the redo of the full front end. You do not know it is there. It is wrapped around the corners. First car I ever felt the need to film at all but the rosso comp is not an easy touch up as much as a clear coated flat paint.

You can find a decent nano coat and do it yourself. We had windows wheels and paint with cQuartz Finest Reserve $3000 because they will always include prep. I will do my own reload and then when I see it wearing off I will reapply a different product after removing the residual. I will of course use my Mini as the guinea pig but that car looks like a gem and no film and just well taken care of with clay and wax. I think we did an overkill. Also did a lot more film then the front end but I think the rockers also depending on the trip.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
:surprise:

wow that must have been fairly expensive. I'm 99% sure my wife would kill me if I went there... maybe 99.5 % :grin2: That's one heck of an abusive drive you do though.
In my case it is my money and I spend it the way I want.
Although the roof and rear of the car really are unlikely to benefit from the Xpel, the price for everything but those relatively small areas is the same. I have had a bird strike on the roof of my pickup truck (no obvious damage in spite of it being a large bird and unlike the tiny bird that hit the pickup's grill and broke the grill).

There is nothing like getting stuck behind an unlicensed farm semi that is spilling almond shells or pea gravel on the road (yes, I have had both happen). What fun driving through farm country where unlicensed farm vehicles can be driven on highways that are adjacent to the farm.

As a cyclist I do not know how many times my tires have "popped rocks" into the adjacent car traffic with a loud "clack" when it hits the side of some car. I even once had a rock hit a car's wheel, then bounce around in the wheel well like it was in a Pachinko machine. Anyway, sides of cars are not immune to rock chips.

On a related subject, every time I wash the car (weekly) large quantities of fine dirt come out of the rear of the car. It is not obvious where this dirt "lives" but it seems to be embedded in the tail lights and drain lines of the trunk lid. Often I will spray everything down (spraying at the underside of the tail lights often produces a gush of dirty water), wash, wipe, open the trunk lid, wipe some more, close the trunk lid, then get a streak of very dirty water on the "trunk step" that apparently drained out of the trunk lid.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've got an appointment for 1/2 up the hood, A pillars and forward section of roof, where windshield meets roof.
Don't do the half-hood.

I really won't recommend it. I had my front, mirror, lights and half-hood done.

Two days later I was back - to ask them to remove the half-hood. The Xpel line is very visible across the middle of your hood. And in sunlight, the line catches the light and reflects it - making it look like a huge scratch across your front hood. And during rains it looks unsightly as well.

I believe @MINIME had the same experience?

Either go for the full hood or skip the hood altogether.

-krish

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As a cyclist I do not know how many times my tires have "popped rocks" into the adjacent car traffic with a loud "clack" when it hits the side of some car. I even once had a rock hit a car's wheel, then bounce around in the wheel well like it was in a Pachinko machine. Anyway, sides of cars are not immune to rock chips.

Just started road cycling this year, loving it so far. Amazing how many driver don't pay attention to cyclists.

Reactions: Clarkebb
1 - 20 of 75 Posts